SiouxSports.com Forum

USD @ UND

Shawn-O

82-64 Final. Maybe fill the Betty on a consistent basis first before trying this. 1,500 in a half-full barn = much better than 1,500 in a 1/8th full barn. Hopefully no football recruits there unless Kiffin's "hostesses" were there. Sorry, but frustrating. If a conference bid were in hand this guy would get his walking papers.

82-64 Final. Maybe fill the Betty on a consistent basis first before trying this. 1,500 in a half-full barn = much better than 1,500 in a 1/8th full barn. Hopefully no football recruits there unless Kiffin's "hostesses" were there. Sorry, but frustrating. If a conference bid were in hand this guy would get his walking papers.

Can't sugarcoat this one, its a bad team and they got it handed to them in a big way!!! There is little or no talent on this team; certainly not DI talent. You're right though, no sense firing him now. Wait til we find a conference then go get someone that can see what DI talent looks like. Here's a hint though, it doesn't come from Pembina, Greenbush, Warroad, or any other town within 100 miles of GF.

Fightingsioux.com says the women played in front of 4189 fans.

UND and USD played their final regular-season conference game of the season at the Ralph Engelstad Arena in front of 4,189 fans. It was the largest crowd the two teams have ever played in front of in Grand Forks.

Can't sugarcoat this one, its a bad team and they got it handed to them in a big way!!! There is little or no talent on this team; certainly not DI talent. You're right though, no sense firing him now. Wait til we find a conference then go get someone that can see what DI talent looks like. Here's a hint though, it doesn't come from Pembina, Greenbush, Warroad, or any other town within 100 miles of GF.

If a change needs to be made, it should be made now. Next year may be uglier.

DI talent can come from the RRV area, it just doesn't happen with much regularity. Maybe we could go back in a time warp to the late 1960's, when GF was awash in DI talent.

This game filled the Betty last year and probably would have done much better this year if 1) the weather cooperated and 2) the team was doing better this year. Both of those were hard to predict when they scheduled this game last summer.

I really hope these players dont read all the posts by all you experts who say they have no talent. They will be better next year and even better the next once these young players become more experienced and the addition of the new red shirts and new recruits. No one understands you have to start somewhere and when you move into D1 you start at the bottom. Give these players some credit for their efforts and hard work. They do have talent the move is just not as easy as all of you would want or think it should be. The hockey team is suppose to be so GREAT and they have only won half of their games ( 12 of 24)so maybe we should fire the hockey coach.

I really hope these players dont read all the posts by all you experts who say they have no talent. They will be better next year and even better the next once these young players become more experienced and the addition of the new red shirts and new recruits. No one understands you have to start somewhere and when you move into D1 you start at the bottom. Give these players some credit for their efforts and hard work. They do have talent the move is just not as easy as all of you would want or think it should be. The hockey team is suppose to be so GREAT and they have only won half of their games ( 12 of 24)so maybe we should fire the hockey coach.

Actually, agree with much of what you are saying: this message board would be upsetting for the players to read and could even turn off potential recruits. What is clear is that fans would get behind a team that is at least an average DI team (100-200 RPI).

No one questions that the hockey players have talent, but they also play a higher level of competition. If UND was in the MVC in basketball and we were 12-12, there wouldn't be many complaints. I would add that the players, who likely had DII or lower options, chose to go to the DI route, where expectations and criticism are much higher. It comes with the territory.

Bledsoe sure looked pretty talented tonight. And I thought Archer played quite well. He looks to be pretty athletic out there and isn't afraid to take it hard to the rim. As they gain experience and add strength, the youngsters will get better, Goodman and Archer in particular I think.

As far as attendance, Pat Sweeney did mention on a couple occasions that there was a surprisingly nice crowd on hand considering the weather. Wayne Nelson mentioned the same in his blog.

The thing is players DO read these if you read the article on Matt Frattin from the hockey team he says that when he wasnt playing for the team he was follwing the game threads on siouxsports.com

Actually, agree with much of what you are saying: this message board would be upsetting for the players to read and could even turn off potential recruits. What is clear is that fans would get behind a team that is at least an average DI team (100-200 RPI).

No one questions that the hockey players have talent, but they also play a higher level of competition. If UND was in the MVC in basketball and we were 12-12, there wouldn't be many complaints. I would add that the players, who likely had DII or lower options, chose to go to the DI route, where expectations and criticism are much higher. It comes with the territory.

It is a lot to expect a team in the middle of transition to be at or above the average of Division I RPI. After all, more than 150 schools that are already in Division I are below the average. It can and has happened, but I would be willing to bet a lot that it isn't the norm. People often have too high of an expectation for their team (not just at UND). But people really need to temper their expectations until they get a little closer to being a full fledged member of Division I.

But you are right that this shows the potential for good support if the team is competitive. UND has had good attendance numbers in the past for basketball and they will again when the team gets in a league and does well.

The thing is players DO read these if you read the article on Matt Frattin from the hockey team he says that when he wasnt playing for the team he was follwing the game threads on siouxsports.com

IF there are players reading this message board, and IF they are a part of a 3-16 bball team, and IF they haven't figured out that they aren't very good, well, then there isn't much left to say.

You will always find 1 or 2 players with good numbers on any team you follow. That doesn't mean there is enough talent for this team to compete at the DI level. Seriously, you can pull for them all you want and be a loyal fan, but how can you watch this team and say in 2 years they'll be better based on what you've watched? Who in the freshman class has stepped up, opened our eyes and made us say, "Wow, we got a steal in that kid!"

If the truth hurts, ask yourself if you know the truth or if you're just blindly following the program. Nothing said on here, as near as I can tell, has been untrue regarding their play or their abilities.