SiouxSports.com Forum

NAHL Showcase Tournament

Rick

The NAHL Showcase Tournament is this Wed, Thurs, Friday & Sat at Blaine, MN. All 22 NAHL teams will be playing 4 games each. Some players of interest are the Ludwig twins from the Texas Tornado, and the Lamoureux's from the Bismarck Bobcats.

So the week looks something like this.....

Wednesday & Thurs - NAHL Showcase at Blaine

Friday 2:30pm - Shattuck vs. Team North Dakota @ Ralph Engelstad Arena

Friday 7:30pm

Now if they just played football at the REA we wouldn't even have to leave our seats from Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon. :D

The downside to that is you'd probably start to smell by Saturday night :0

Does anyone know the difference between the USHL & the NAHL? I thought I read one time that the USHL had higher-skilled teams from top to bottom but I'm not sure...

Does anyone know the difference between the USHL & the NAHL? I thought I read one time that the USHL had higher-skilled teams from top to bottom but I'm not sure...

The USHL is the only Tier I league in the U.S. The NAHL is a Tier II, Junior A league (there's also TII, Junior B & C leagues). There's some talent in the NAHL, but the USHL is much more stacked. USAHockey.com has some good info on all of the junior leagues:

http://www.usahockey.com/junior_council/main/junior__a_/

RochSioux,

I will be going to the tourney on Wednesday. I will let you know how it looks.

I went to the Buc Bowl so I should be able to discern the difference in the leagues.

Also the Blaine rinks are all Olympic size sheets so the forecheck may be substantially different than at the rink in Des Moines.

Can we get tickets to this or what? I got nothing to do on Friday and would like to see SSM. The SSM girls team was here last weekend and played a ND-SD-MT All-Star team. SSM won the games 11-1 and 9-2 or something like that. I heard about this after the fact. Why don't they advertise for these games on their website? Hmm.

The downside to that is you'd probably start to smell by Saturday night :)

They have showers there...I'm sure the Ralph would let us use them...for $300 an hour ;):(

20 bucks says Diggler got into it with Superfan109/DHG/18 other alias'...

Anyone know if it costs anything to get into the games? I might go on Friday if I don't have to work.

I don't know what I did. I think it had to do with my Eaves comment though. I said that last monday and they didn't kick me off till saturday morning though and haven't told me anything, so I don't really know. Oh well. I'm much better behaved here anyways. ;)

Stupid REA not publicizing these games.

Ok folks, while most of us were probably at the Football game, I went to watch Shattuck take on Team NW. Shattuck won 8-3.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who scored the goals for Shattuck but here are my impressions:

Both goaltenders were not that spectacular letting in 3 goals each to start out. SSM could have been in trouble if Team NW employed SSM's strategy of throwing the puck on the net whenever they can. They didn't and the SSM goalie didn't see as much action. There was a LOT of penalties including 2 5-3s for Team NW (one of them for over a minute). Taylor Chorney, Tyler Eaves, Chay Genoway, and one other (whose name I can't remember but his number was 21), had very good games. #21 had a breakaway too.

On an odd note: just into the third period, the Ref (Eslinger) left the game with a bloody nose. He returned later. For a while the linesmen did all of the calls. On the whole, this crew did a very good job reffing and allowed them to play hockey. SSM's penalties were mostly stupid penalties (especially those that put them on the 5-3). Eaves had at least 4 minutes in the box and Genoway had 2 minutes at least. SSM was faster than Team NW and very good with puck handling. A good majority of the goals went top corner far side of the net.

Team NW did not control in front of their net very well, but their goaltender did ok for what he got despite the score.

Watching this game made me realise that I'm not PCM nor am I a scout so I apologize for the lack of pertinent info.

Thanks, schmitty.

Duncan was, by far, the most impressive player on the ice in both offensive and defensive modes. I do believe he scored one of the goals, but I'm not certain.

Chorney was good too. I say, if we can get both of them, we'll look VERY good. But add Genoway and we'll be unstoppable ;)