SiouxSports.com Forum

2010 Olympics - Hockey

AZSIOUX

I don't know who I'd replace him with but...

I'm not too impressed with Drury. He's really fallen off the map since joining the Rangers.

I know he's known to be a leader on the ice and all, but I just don't see him as being anything more than an alternate at best given his current struggles.

Amen to that. I was really hoping that Burke would have told Drury "Thanks for your service in the past, but you're not playing this year in Vancouver. Enjoy your time off."

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to that. I was really hoping that Burke would have told Drury "Thanks for your service in the past, but you're not playing this year in Vancouver. Enjoy your time off."

I think Burke could look like a moron in this situation. While I like the fact that he picked a lot of USA players with College Hockey experience I think there are a few better choices than Chris Drury.

• 2 weeks later...

since there are not taxi squads anymore for the olympics in case of injuries and we have a little time before the games start if there is an injury does usa hockey just pick whoever they want to replace a player? also witout a taxi squad if a player gets hurt lets say game #2 in the olympics can a team then fly a player in? thanks for any insight

since there are not taxi squads anymore for the olympics in case of injuries and we have a little time before the games start if there is an injury does usa hockey just pick whoever they want to replace a player? also witout a taxi squad if a player gets hurt lets say game #2 in the olympics can a team then fly a player in? thanks for any insight

They have already selected alternates, Oshie is one of them; so I would presume that any injury replacements would have to be one of the previously named alternates.

How do we know that? I didn't see this "alternate" list published anywhere.

AZ is correct - no designated "taxi squad" this year.

http://frozennotes.com/2010/01/05/bishop-c...amed-alternate/

Strickland also gave us news that T.J. Oshie has been named an alternate for team USA for the 2010 games.

The other alternates I have read about are Gionta and Craig Anderson; all the players that attended the training camp before the NHL season started know where they stand on the list of the reserves, but it's been slow leaking out of the media.

• 3 weeks later...

ryan millers olympic mask

photo of helmet

The Buffalo Sabres star came to Bishop with a design idea for the Olympics that included a caricature of Uncle Sam rolling up his sleeves. Bishop made it come to life with splashes of the Olympic logo, patriotic sayings and vibrant colors.

"We talk quite a bit -- (Miller is) really good with ideas," said Bishop, who works out of his home in Grand Blanc. "Ryan will sketch stuff up even. He's not a bad artist himself."

The mask took about 40 to 50 hours to finish, Bishop said.

ryan millers olympic mask

photo of helmet

The Buffalo Sabres star came to Bishop with a design idea for the Olympics that included a caricature of Uncle Sam rolling up his sleeves. Bishop made it come to life with splashes of the Olympic logo, patriotic sayings and vibrant colors.

"We talk quite a bit -- (Miller is) really good with ideas," said Bishop, who works out of his home in Grand Blanc. "Ryan will sketch stuff up even. He's not a bad artist himself."

The mask took about 40 to 50 hours to finish, Bishop said.

That is pretty sweet!

Paul Martin has pulled out of they Olympics this year. I wonder who they'll get to replace him and how that works? I know they released a list of players who would go in case of injury replacements and Oshie was one of them...anyone remember who else was on that?

Martin's arm not healing fast enough

ryan whitney has been mentioned being its a defensemen

this may have been brought up but the olympics this year will be played on a nhl sized rink for the very first time

500px-Ice_hockey_layout.svg.png

I find it somewhat sad that they are getting away from the "big ice", but I suppose those ice sheets are getting to be fewer and farther between. Easier transition for the pro's coming in to play for their country fresh from the NHL, I suppose.

Not really a preference to me, just nostalgia for the old days of amateur Olympic competition.

I find it somewhat sad that they are getting away from the "big ice", but I suppose those ice sheets are getting to be fewer and farther between. Easier transition for the pro's coming in to play for their country fresh from the NHL, I suppose.

Not really a preference to me, just nostalgia for the old days of amateur Olympic competition.

Well you might soon get your wish as its not looking like the NHL owners want the players in the Olympics anymore. Going to be a hot topic during next labor negotiations.

Well you might soon get your wish as its not looking like the NHL owners want the players in the Olympics anymore. Going to be a hot topic during next labor negotiations.

It was $$ - Vancouver didn't want to pay the $$ to widen their rinks.

I'm sure at the 2014 Olympics in Russia they will go back to 200 x 100.

Quicks goalie mask

back of mask

although i did read on hf regarding this olympic rule noted below im guessing he got it approved before getting it made up.

olympics

Quote:

No form of publicity or propaganda, commercial or otherwise, may appear on persons, on sportswear, accessories or, more generally, on any article of clothing or equipment whatsoever worn or used by the athletes or other participants in the Olympic Games, except for the identification