SiouxSports.com Forum

First Trip To The Ralph

woodbutcher

My favorite west side bars from the dark ages,

The River Queen where you got high on second hand smoke!

Frenchies Bar where we had our own mugs, still have mine! He made the best Bloody Mary's, mmmm...

The Belouf's bar in the Ryan Hotel, I blank out on the name, they closed that one and opened one in the disaster 'mall' (put a roof over a city block and called it a mall).

The Hub, two or three owners ago, great burgers.

My favorite west side bars from the dark ages,

The River Queen where you got high on second hand smoke!

Frenchies Bar where we had our own mugs, still have mine! He made the best Bloody Mary's, mmmm...

The Belouf's bar in the Ryan Hotel, I blank out on the name, they closed that one and opened one in the disaster 'mall' (put a roof over a city block and called it a mall).

The Hub, two or three owners ago, great burgers.

Frenchy's was great, I have fond memories of that place. The bar you speak about in the Ryan Hotel was called the lobby and the loft. It was another great bar until Faces came along in the mall you speak of. I spent some quality time at Faces.

Actually, the new Spud has been closed for years. I don't know what is in the building now.

What's left of the Spud complex (among its various other "colloquial" names...) is now the East Grand Forks compost/recycling transfer point. It is fenced and has card reader access (via driver license?) if you wish to go have a Griswold family moment.

If you are in town by Thursday evening, the Blue Moose has 1/2 price taps (and about 40 to choose from), great food, and a great Northwoods atmosphere. It is actually about a block "downstream" from its pre-flood location. They moved it and it has never been straighter! Try the black and blue (bleu?) balls if they are on the seasonal menu. A schooner at Bonzer's (now on Demers Ave at 5th St.) is always a nice addition to any trip to GF. Tavern United at the Canad Inn, attached to the Alerus Center is another good bet.

Tours of Ralph Engelstad Arena are given at 1:30 pm Monday – Friday. “Tour Goers” should meet in the Sioux Shop for the start of the tour. To schedule a tour, contact the Sioux Shop at (701) 777-6636. The cost per person is $3.00 and discounts are given to larger groups. No tours are given on event days.

Anyone been on this?

The REA tour is probably the most popular "tourist" attractions in the area.

The tour guides take you into the locker (if not occupied) and training, weight, study rooms and other spaces that a normal game fan doesn't get to see. The tour includes the Suite level and the upper level bar.

In regards to the tour of the Ralph, my daughter and I went during the St. Cloud weekend. They no longer go into the locker rooms, training rooms, and what not due to someone four or five years ago stealing a solid gold Sioux head from the locker room area. Tour was still cool just because your were in the Ralph (in my opinion), but probably was very cool when they still went into the locker rooms.

In regards to the tour of the Ralph, my daughter and I went during the St. Cloud weekend. They no longer go into the locker rooms, training rooms, and what not due to someone four or five years ago stealing a solid gold Sioux head from the locker room area. Tour was still cool just because your were in the Ralph (in my opinion), but probably was very cool when they still went into the locker rooms.

There's always one. Might still go just to get some good pics. Thanks for the info.

How do you steal a solid gold Sioux head on guided tour?

It wouldn't be hard. When I took my tour it would have been easy to just hang back and stay in an unsupervised area as long as I wanted with no one really noticing. Pop off the Sioux head. Amble out of the building which doesn't have security checking your bags or patting you down as you leave with no worries.

According to the tour guide, it was never verified that it actually was taken by a visitor on a tour, but they assume that is what occurred. Plus it was one of the large Sioux heads, like you see on the wall behind the bars on either end, so it would have been pretty difficult to steal without some assistance. But they now make you sign in and list who will be on the tour with you.

According to the tour guide, it was never verified that it actually was taken by a visitor on a tour, but they assume that is what occurred. Plus it was one of the large Sioux heads, like you see on the wall behind the bars on either end, so it would have been pretty difficult to steal without some assistance. But they now make you sign in and list who will be on the tour with you.

Seems odd that they wouldn't have had people sign in for tours from the get-go.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would update this since I just got back to California. I didn't get to go on the tour of the Ralph, I guess they don't offer it on game days. Had a chance to go Monday for a personal tour but that didn't work out either. We sat up in 306, best part was the student section, holy crap they are entertaining! Met some cool folks and got to see an amazing arena, you guys are definitely spoiled. Maybe next time I will meet some of you and get some shinny in while I am up there. Games were a bit disappointing, but I had a smile on my face the whole weekend. How can you not in that arena? Only place I got to eat at was Al's and Grizzly's, not my choice, I wasn't driving. :shrug: Food was decent, nothing to write home about. Had to settle for a grinder from Al's, next time I am going to go to the Pepper.

Wood