SiouxSports.com Forum

UND-NDSU Division I

mjchewy

It's obviously unrealistic now.

Having said that, North Dakota would have been better off if they had decided upon state inception, to have one public flagship university and funnel all of its resources into that one institution. North Dakota could easily have a viable FBS program if it had done so, but still probably not in the Big Ten or Big 12.

Having said that, North Dakota would have been better off if they had decided upon state inception, to have one public flagship university and funnel all of its resources into that one institution. North Dakota could easily have a viable FBS program if it had done so, but still probably not in the Big Ten or Big 12.

Agreed 100%. We could have had a program on the level of Wyoming plus DI hockey.

If only...

Regarding that 45,000 stadium at Hillsboro, would that mean bussing in players from both Grand Forks and Fargo daily during the week for practices? On the other hand, it's possible that at the state's inception the intent at the time was to have one flagship university, but over time it evolved into both UND and NDSU. One can argue it's better to have a pair of competing universities than it is to have, for example, the University of Minnesota, the University of Wisconsin, the University of Missouri or the University of Nebraska. Personally, I think strong arguments can be made for doing it either way from an academic standpoint. But, what's done is done. From the feedback I get I think there are some from NDSU who might argue that for years most of the state money was indeed funneled into UND, thereby ostensibly giving UND a huge advantage. And I say this in acknowledgement as a proud UND graduate. At this point I cannot conceivably think even a combined athletic program would be able to successfully compete in either the Big Ten or the Big 12. Has anyone taken a good look at the endowments of some of those institutions? I'm not saying never because one never knows at times what the future may hold, but I think we'd regularly get our butts kicked as members of one of those two conferences, either individually or as a combined athletic university. I also doubt very much whether the NCAA would approve such a novel situation. What if Texas and Texas A&M were to apply to do the same thing, or Alabama and Auburn, or Purdue and Indiana? It's not that I'm completely against the idea, but I doubt very much that its really workable. I also don't think alumni of either UND or NDSU would really go along with the idea, especially as it pertains to football. As for the other sports, I don't really see a need for it. It also seems to me that that stadium in Hillsboro would turn out to be a white elephant or a boodoggle of the highest degree. I just simply can't believe either UND or NDSU would want to give up any semblance of football independence, but, hey, if that's to be the case we can solve UND's nickname problem but calling the new team the Blenders.

I notice the posting time on this was 2:00 AM, probably conjured up by a few students sitting at Perkins with a laptop after all other entertainment was completed for the night. As the law enforcement agencies like to say "Alcohol was a contributing factor."

I notice the posting time on this was 2:00 AM, probably conjured up by a few students sitting at Perkins with a laptop after all other entertainment was completed for the night. As the law enforcement agencies like to say "Alcohol was a contributing factor."

I hope so!!!! One of the funniest reads in a long time!!!!

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool..than to speak out and remove all doubt". That came to mind when reading the comments section, that's not intended for the original submitter to the mailbag.

I wonder how many Bison fans cringe every time he opens his mouth?