SiouxSports.com Forum

Next Years Team

gfhockey

I was going to make 22 different posts about all hte positions but maybe we can just evaluate all the positons here?

Ill start with the first one im going to do

QB

Was a quesiton mark all season is still is. Landry played pretty inconsistent. Goska proved he can play wiht the running game. But im really concerend with this position for next year. I expect Landry to be next years starter and hope goska gets put in the mix a little more.

I think the QB position is unsettled as well. Landry has not pulled it all together as the starting quarterback and some of the interceptions have resulted from very poor choices (throwing into double and triple coverage for instance). His athleticism and running ability are big positives, but I imagine the coaches are teaching him to stay in the pocket and focus on throwing the ball and not running with it. Letting him run more could unleash his potential, but it might just cover up the problems better.

One thing I am not pleased with is Mussman's stubborn stance that "Jake Landry is my quarterback", even after multiple interception game after multiple interception game. It sounds like Mussman is taking a page out of the Roger Thomas coaching manual that if it's a guy's "turn", you have to stick with him no matter what. That isn't how an FCS program should be run and I hope Mussman has the guts to make a change next year if the inconsistent play at the QB position continues.

Here's what I have on offense... will take a look at the defense and special teams later:

QB: Landry had a so-so year IMO, with a QB rating around 120, which will not get it done in UND's offense. He showed flashes both running the football and with some downfield throws, but he needs to become more "assertive" and more consistent with his passing. Next year's team should be pretty talented and whether the team can have a great year (8 or 9 wins) or another average year will largely depend on his improvement. Goska will also be in the mix but I expect him to have a similar role to this season. He needs to improve his passing to match his running ability. I don't expect any other players on the roster to be in the mix until 2011.

RB: Sutton was a pleasant surprise this year and he should continue to get better with another year in the weight room. Depth after Sutton was an issue, but hopefully the highly touted freshman Marcus Binns and/or the return of Josh Murray will help in that regard. If Binns is as advertised and UND can get Murray back, it will be a huge boost to the offense. I don't see any other backs on the roster (Battle, Solum, Davis, et al.) being anything more than a role player on this team. Magstadt played quite a bit at fullback this season as a freshman and he should be better next season.

WR: After Bamba, this is the biggest offensive question mark, IMO. Gone are the days of UND being able to plug in so-so athletes into a possession receiver role and have it work... the DB's at the D-I level are noticeably more athletic and physical and UND needs better athletes that can get open. Chris Anderson's ability has been talked about for a couple of years, but he has yet to produce much of anything so I'm not sure if he will develop. Redshirted freshmen Greg Hardin and Blair Townsend have been mentioned as having great falls on the scout team but it may be tough for either to produce enough to take the pressure off of Bamba. Finding a number 2 (and 3) receiver will be very important.

OL: Losing LT Bondy leaves a hole, but I'm still fairly optimistic about the future of the OL. McGurran started all season at center as a RFr., while fellow RFr. Lynch (guard) and Gillson (tackle) also saw playing time to varying degrees. With Queoff (LG) and Schroyer (RT) also returning as starters I'm fairly optimistic that the line play will be better next season. True freshman Joe Gleason has been mentioned on this board as being very impressive on the scout team so watch for him next fall as well.

TE: Seth Wisthoff played a great deal this year as a RFr. and he appears to be the TE of the future.

All in all, I think UND will be better offensively next year with improved play from Landry and the OL. The biggest immediate concern is finding another receiver or two that can make plays.

My guess with regard to the receiving corps is that we'll see Hardin and Townsend as the primary complements to Bamba, as we need athletes and those guys reportedly have more speed/quickness/athletic ability than the older returnees. Davis could also be an option here.

I like the fact that we seemingly have four offensive line spots in place with McGurran, Queoff, Lynch and Schroyer, but I'd sure like to see all but Lynch come back at least 15 pounds heavier. Unfortunately, that's probably not realistic with regard to Queoff and Schroyer, as they've had four years to put on weight and it hasn't really happened yet.

Running Back

We are very strong. We have the GWFC rookie of the year back (hopefully espcially with string of und RB problems) We might have johs murray back depending on if he got stuff together form what ive heard he has. We will also see a new face in binns and from what i hear is amazing. We will have a ton of depth next year and shouldnt have to worry about injurys here.

Tight End

Seth Wistoff played really well all season long. I expect him to start next year with maybe Nick Long getting a few snaps

'

Kicker

Graduated Hellevang. Havent seen much from cameron. Hope he has an awesome eseason with kicking fieild goals and extra points nad i hope hes the neext fighting sioux great at kicker.

I like the fact that we seemingly have four offensive line spots in place with McGurran, Queoff, Lynch and Schroyer, but I'd sure like to see all but Lynch come back at least 15 pounds heavier. Unfortunately, that's probably not realistic with regard to Queoff and Schroyer, as they've had four years to put on weight and it hasn't really happened yet.

Agree... although it is interesting that, despite being smallish, UND's OL seemed to struggle more with run blocking against the quicker defensive teams.

I forgot to mention it before, but I do think depth is a huge concern on the OL next year. In addition to the players we have talked about, juniors Brandon Quesenberry and Connor McKendry will also be in the mix after seeing limited playing time this year. But after those seven guys, it will be all red-shirt freshmen. Needless to say, the line will have to stay relatively healthy next year.

Regarding QB play, and for the record I haven't given up on Landry as he has a hell of an arm and I think is great team leader, but I questioned his decision making several times this season. Example: I can't recall a season in recent years where there have been more intentional grounding calls than this season..........which, to me, shows he gets flustered in a hurry under pressure.

The defense will be more experienced than any group we've had in some time. The starting d-line returns intact with Boyle, Brenneman and Bellmore, and Benjamin also returns as the backup nose guard. Backups at defensive end will need to emerge in spring ball, but Lundeen should be a strong candidate for one of them.

Kasowski and Dublanko lead the linebacking corps, with German and Cochran also being very experienced. After those four, and Dan Hendrickson, it should be pretty much all red-shirt freshmen--Bennett, Finley, Goodman and Otto.

The secondary should also be very experienced, with all four starters returning--Schwenzfeier, Ankenbauer, Hawkins and Saporu. Watkins and Kudrna are both pretty experienced as the backup corners, and Belotti and Mersereau should be the backup safeties. Red-shirts Mackey and Hall should also contend for playing time in the secondary.

Regarding QB play, and for the record I haven't given up on Landry as he has a hell of an arm and I think is great team leader, but I questioned his decision making several times this season. Example: I can't recall a season in recent years where there have been more intentional grounding calls than this season..........which, to me, shows he gets flustered in a hurry under pressure.

I got to put a little of Jake's play on the Coaching Staff. I really thought we could have got Jake some more reps earlier in his career, aside from some emergency duty at Grand Valley, he really had no entensive playing time or regular snaps. He was throw to the Texas Tech Raiders in his 1st start with a broken hand and 9 new offense players....

I think this next year he will have a much better comfort level....

Defense:

DL: UND should be loaded at NG. I believe that if Boyle can stay healthy, he will get an NFL shot after next year. Benjamin saw playing time this year as a RFr. and he looks like he could develop into a very solid player as well. At the ends, Brenneman was HM all-conference as a freshman this year and best guess is that Bellmore will be the other end. With the four guys just mentioned, UND marketing staff should plan a "Killer B's" marketing campaign for next year. :angry: Biggest concerns up front are 1) depth at DE and 2) generating more of a pass rush from the front three. Hopefully one or two of the highly touted freshmen can provide both.

ILB: I was a major critic of the linebacker play early in the season, but as a group, they played much better in the latter part of the year. The key to the improvement IMO was Curtis Dublanko. He was the team's leading tackler in each of the last three games and appears to be ready to have a big senior year. The great UND defenses of the past have always had standouts at the Sam LB position (think Travis O'Neel and Digger Anderson) and Dublanko appears to have the athletic ability (and now the experience) to have a great senior year. German will be a senior and the likely starter at the other inside spot. Depth beyond those two is a concern unless highly touted true freshman Garrison Goodman makes an immediate impact next year.

OLB: Kasowski also came on in the second half, leading the team in sacks and being named all-conference. Like Dublanko, he seems ready to have a great senior year. Cochran had 33 tackles this year in a reserve role and he should be the starter on the strong side as a senior. Hopefully Cochran can have a big year because I feel the Stud OLB position has been a weakness since Steve Brennan graduated. Freshmen Finley and Bennett reportedly were terrific on the scout team and they could add athleticism. At the very least they will have to provide depth. Jay Nelson has great size and is another player to watch at the SOLB position.

S: Ankenbauer was named HM all-conference and Schwenzfeier led the team with 5 interceptions, but I feel both need to play a bit better next year for the defense to reach its full potential. Mersereau and Belotti will provide depth after getting playing time this year.

CB: Hawkins was very good this year... led the team in tackles and was probably the most consistent defensive player on the team. Kudrna, Saporu, and Watkins all saw significant playing time so there will be plenty of experience. I think eventually a Hawkins/Saporu combo at CB can be very effective but Saporu just can't seem to stay healthy.

Overall, the potential to have a very good defense is there next season. The team could potentially start seven seniors and three juniors and having an experienced D is huge as far as week to week consistency goes. To me, improving the pass rush, tightening up pass coverage and getting better tackling from the secondary will be the big keys. Opposing offenses threw for 271 yards per game and 27 touchdowns in addition to converting 47% of the time on third down... those numbers are unacceptable.

In regard to Landry, I wonder how much of his struggles can be attributed to a weak group of receivers? Bamba seemed to be the only receiver on the team capable of getting open more than 10 yards downfield. The talent on this year's offense seemed much more tailored to a Manke/Freund type quarterback than Landry.

I know he missed all of last season, and the entire second half this year, but I was disappointed with Saporu's play through the first half of this season before he was injured. IMO he struggled alot with fundamental tackling and one-on-one coverage. I think the defense is better off with Watkins starting at CB opposite Hawkins with Saporu as a reserve/Nickel-back.

Linebacking corps could be interesting next season. Should be more than solid at one outside position (Kasowski) and one inside position (Dublanko). After that................hope that the freshman are as talented as advertised.

RD17---could you expand on your comment about the receivers on this year's team being a better fit for Manke or Freund at QB than it was for Landry?...........IMO, Freund in particular, made alot of his recievers not named Dressler look better than they probably were.

I know he missed all of last season, and the entire second half this year, but I was disappointed with Saporu's play through the first half of this season before he was injured. IMO he struggled alot with fundamental tackling and one-on-one coverage. I think the defense is better off with Watkins starting at CB opposite Hawkins with Saporu as a reserve/Nickel-back.

I know what you are saying about Saporu's tackling... it was atrocious this year. I think the coaching staff likes him because, when he is healthy, he's a pretty darn good cover corner and his size is an asset. But of course part of being a good corner is tackling receivers in space to limit YAC and he doesn't do that very well.

Kudrna saw a great deal of playing time towards the end of the season and seemed to be getting more PT than Watkins in the last few games. I imagine it will be quite a battle in spring ball between Saporu/Kudrna/Watkins for the other starting spot opposite Hawkins.

RD17---could you expand on your comment about the receivers on this year's team being a better fit for Manke or Freund at QB than it was for Landry?...........IMO, Freund in particular, made alot of his recievers not named Dressler look better than they probably were.

The bolded part was pretty much what I was thinking; in addition Freund and Manke were more adept at reading defenses and being efficient in the short passing game, which is something Landry lacks. With a lack of receivers that could stretch the field, the offense would have been better off this year with a Freund or Manke that could pick apart defenses with the short stuff. Landry seems more suited to running a more traditional offensive scheme where his arm strength could be an asset on play action.

In reality, Freund was easily the most underrated QB to ever play at UND. He had a career efficiency rating of well over 160, and completed around 70% of his passes. Of course he played with Dressler one of those years, but he had just as good a season the year after Dressler graduated. Point being that many people just assumed that Landry could step in and the offense wouldn't miss a beat without accounting for just how good Freund really was.

I know what you are saying about Saporu's tackling... it was atrocious this year. I think the coaching staff likes him because, when he is healthy, he's a pretty darn good cover corner and his size is an asset. But of course part of being a good corner is tackling receivers in space to limit YAC and he doesn't do that very well.

Kudrna saw a great deal of playing time towards the end of the season and seemed to be getting more PT than Watkins in the last few games. I imagine it will be quite a battle in spring ball between Saporu/Kudrna/Watkins for the other starting spot opposite Hawkins.

While I'm not sure if both of them are necessarily projected as corners, is there much of a chance Hall and/or Mackey could potentially challenge for the other starting corner position?

While I'm not sure if both of them are necessarily projected as corners, is there much of a chance Hall and/or Mackey could potentially challenge for the other starting corner position?

I believe the preseason depth chart had them both listed as corners, but of course that chart might not be 100% accurate and things can change fast with young players.

Best guess is that one of them would have to be really, really good to overtake three experienced players for a starting spot. The positive comments in the other thread were the first that I have read about either player, but they sure made it seem promising about their potential.

I believe the preseason depth chart had them both listed as corners, but of course that chart might not be 100% accurate and things can change fast with young players.

Best guess is that one of them would have to be really, really good to overtake three experienced players for a starting spot. The positive comments in the other thread were the first that I have read about either player, but they sure made it seem promising about their potential.

They are 5'9" and 5'10", respectively, so I am sure they are corners.

Defense:

DL: UND should be loaded at NG. I believe that if Boyle can stay healthy, he will get an NFL shot after next year. Benjamin saw playing time this year as a RFr. and he looks like he could develop into a very solid player as well. At the ends, Brenneman was HM all-conference as a freshman this year and best guess is that Bellmore will be the other end. With the four guys just mentioned, UND marketing staff should plan a "Killer B's" marketing campaign for next year. :D Biggest concerns up front are 1) depth at DE and 2) generating more of a pass rush from the front three. Hopefully one or two of the highly touted freshmen can provide both.

ILB: I was a major critic of the linebacker play early in the season, but as a group, they played much better in the latter part of the year. The key to the improvement IMO was Curtis Dublanko. He was the team's leading tackler in each of the last three games and appears to be ready to have a big senior year. The great UND defenses of the past have always had standouts at the Sam LB position (think Travis O'Neel and Digger Anderson) and Dublanko appears to have the athletic ability (and now the experience) to have a great senior year. German will be a senior and the likely starter at the other inside spot. Depth beyond those two is a concern unless highly touted true freshman Garrison Goodman makes an immediate impact next year.

OLB: Kasowski also came on in the second half, leading the team in sacks and being named all-conference. Like Dublanko, he seems ready to have a great senior year. Cochran had 33 tackles this year in a reserve role and he should be the starter on the strong side as a senior. Hopefully Cochran can have a big year because I feel the Stud OLB position has been a weakness since Steve Brennan graduated. Freshmen Finley and Bennett reportedly were terrific on the scout team and they could add athleticism. At the very least they will have to provide depth. Jay Nelson has great size and is another player to watch at the SOLB position.

S: Ankenbauer was named HM all-conference and Schwenzfeier led the team with 5 interceptions, but I feel both need to play a bit better next year for the defense to reach its full potential. Mersereau and Belotti will provide depth after getting playing time this year.

CB: Hawkins was very good this year... led the team in tackles and was probably the most consistent defensive player on the team. Kudrna, Saporu, and Watkins all saw significant playing time so there will be plenty of experience. I think eventually a Hawkins/Saporu combo at CB can be very effective but Saporu just can't seem to stay healthy.

Overall, the potential to have a very good defense is there next season. The team could potentially start seven seniors and three juniors and having an experienced D is huge as far as week to week consistency goes. To me, improving the pass rush, tightening up pass coverage and getting better tackling from the secondary will be the big keys. Opposing offenses threw for 271 yards per game and 27 touchdowns in addition to converting 47% of the time on third down... those numbers are unacceptable.

Just a question but how did Dublanko go from a relatively unnoticed to such a dominant player this year. I understand he played fullback last year but what about before? Did the coaches miss something?

'

Kicker

Graduated Hellevang. Havent seen much from cameron. Hope he has an awesome eseason with kicking fieild goals and extra points nad i hope hes the neext fighting sioux great at kicker.

Yeah, Hellevang will be missed. UND has been pretty fortunate with the position the last few years (Peterka, Glas & Hellevang). Go ask a Bison fan what happens when you don't have a reliable kicker. Hopefully Cameron can continue the tradition of great Sioux kickers.

Yeah, Hellevang will be missed. UND has been pretty fortunate with the position the last few years (Peterka, Glas & Hellevang). Go ask a Bison fan what happens when you don't have a reliable kicker. Hopefully Cameron can continue the tradition of great Sioux kickers.

There will likely be a competition for the kicker job between Cameron and Zeb Miller.

Isn't Cameron solely a punter while Miller is a place kicker?

Cameron was both in high school, but I guess I don't know for certain whether it was contemplated that he would concentrate on punting at the college level. This is strictly a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if Cameron punts and maybe kicks off, but Miller handles the extra points and field goals.

Cameron was both in high school, but I guess I don't know for certain whether it was contemplated that he would concentrate on punting at the college level. This is strictly a guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if Cameron punts and maybe kicks off, but Miller handles the extra points and field goals.

My hope would be that Miller emerges as the kicker so that there is a separation of duties. Although Hellevang did an outstanding job this year, it's tough to do both, and I have to imagine that it's even more difficult for young players. Hellevang really struggled with his kicking last season in his first year of having a dual role and I have to wonder if those struggles were related to having punting duties as well.

Wayne Nelson had the following red-shirts listed as "players to watch" for next year in today's Herald:

Greg Hardin

Blair Townsend

Joe Kleason

Caleb Nelson

Dominique Bennett

Cordero Finley

Garrison Goodman

Chavon Mackey

Chris Hall

I would add Darren DeNeui to that list.