SiouxSports.com Forum

Jason Smith

Ray77

It goes both ways, both schools have fans we would like to discard. I've been threatened many times up in Grand Forks myself but it's just not worth getting into trouble over.

FH26 you just have to hang out with the right people that want to have fun and not get into fights. There are awesome fans from Wisconsin and Minnesota and other schools from around the conference. Last season at the final five we had a blast and there was a whole bunch of us from all schools hanging out and having a good time.

Thursday nigth in the Irish Bar (McGoverns maybe?) some guy wearing a Gopher jersey came up and gave me a hug, and the weird meter hit right away, then I realized it was one my war buddies from Desert Storm. While talking to him in the bar one of the rudiest/drunkiest Sioux fan I had ever met spilled my beer, and his beer all over my shoe and did even blink an eye or appologize. Also at the bar in the Holiday Inn one of our own fans was kicked out for being a total ass. It's the a few bad apples. theory.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five or six years ago I was at a Sioux-Goofers game in minneapolis and the Sioux lost and I was I walking out of the arena and goofer fans pushed me down and I almost hit my head on the cement stairs and the yelled at me that the "Sioux F'ing suck", I looked at him very calmly and said "You guys won".

I hate dealing with goofer fans that have earned a bad reputation and they deserve it.

That guy would have been arrested and charged with an assult.

FH26 you just have to hang out with the right people that want to have fun and not get into fights. There are awesome fans from Wisconsin and Minnesota and other schools from around the conference. Last season at the final five we had a blast and there was a whole bunch of us from all schools hanging out and having a good time.

Thursday nigth in the Irish Bar (McGoverns maybe?) some guy wearing a Gopher jersey came up and gave me a hug, and the weird meter hit right away, then I realized it was one my war buddies from Desert Storm. While talking to him in the bar one of the rudiest/drunkiest Sioux fan I had ever met spilled my beer, and his beer all over my shoe and did even blink an eye or appologize. Also at the bar in the Holiday Inn one of our own fans was kicked out for being a total ass. It's the a few bad apples. theory.

Right people and not get into fights? I don't get into fights on roadtrips....closest I've ever gotten was actually Sallys by the "U" a couple years ago standing up for some UMD fans/friends that Gopher fans were ripping on, they were getting way out of line.

I myself love the Grand Forks roadtrip, but I refuse to walk the concourse during intermissions up there because of the constant harassment that gets thrown around, I may be a big guy but I'm probably the last guy whos gonna get involved in a fight. Like I said, nothing against Sioux fans but thats just the way Gopher fans get treated up there as well, as well as other fanbases from what I've heard. Not trying to start an argument here just sayin that all fanbases have their numbers of bad fans.

Right people and not get into fights? I don't get into fights on roadtrips....closest I've ever gotten was actually Sallys by the "U" a couple years ago standing up for some UMD fans/friends that Gopher fans were ripping on, they were getting way out of line.

I myself love the Grand Forks roadtrip, but I refuse to walk the concourse during intermissions up there because of the constant harassment that gets thrown around, I may be a big guy but I'm probably the last guy whos gonna get involved in a fight. Like I said, nothing against Sioux fans but thats just the way Gopher fans get treated up there as well, as well as other fanbases from what I've heard. Not trying to start an argument here just sayin that all fanbases have their numbers of bad fans.

Yep, can't agree more.

There is no excuse here, but I would hope that it would make fans take a close look at their behavior when it comes to getting into people's faces. I witnessed Sioux fans that were getting in gopher fans faces who were just trying to have a conversation with each other between periods. I was ready to confront those idiots myself. Fans like that make it hard for Sioux fans who make the return trip to Minneapolis, because many fans look at it as a chance to get even. Grow up!

Well said. I have made the trip 5 times now including this year. I was called everything in the book as I am sure many Sioux fans are when they come to Minny or deal with Gopher fans. I have also met a few Sioux fans who are now some of my better friends because of this sport. The stories of UM fans did this and UND fans did that are disheartening and part of me questions some stories on both sides until you have events like the one last weekend. You are reminded not everyone evolves into adulthood the same if at all. Please don't stereotype all Sioux, Gopher, Badger or Beaver fans etc. Acknowledge the good nature barbs and walk away from the idiots. Most of the chirping I heard was very immature or very funny. Nothing worth jacking someone over. You try to filter the idiots and enjoy the good stuff. I cant stand the people who get in your face and yell you suck etc. Be creative and intelligent, it works better and encourages the same in return. As we were walking out of our hotel on Saturday some Sioux fans were saying get ready for the sweep and my brother simply said "I got nothing for you" We laughed and the guy the Sioux it was completely caught off guard. Also, when we walked into the bar at the Canad Inn on Friday before the game we were boo'd by the entire place and it was hilarious. Good stuff. We can all get along and enjoy the sport. Just remember... its just a sport.

As a Gopher fan I apologize on behalf of the civil and denounce the d-bags that wear the colors I am so passionate about . Again had a great time and appreciate the fun and good conversation that was the majority of the weekend. Good luck until we meet again and I hope Jason makes a full recovery and the attacker gets what they deserve under the law.

Did you know:

Travis Stay was wearing Gopher apparel the night that he murdered* a guy in a Sioux jersey.

Just because someone's a UND student doesn't assume their hockey allegiance.

* Complain to the jury about the word, not to me.

Really? I thought he was dressed up as a lion since one of the paws from his costume was left at the scene.

Get well soon Jason

Sorry about that Goon. Had I known that was you....

Yep.

There is no excuse here, but I would hope that it would make fans take a close look at their behavior when it comes to getting into people's faces. I witnessed Sioux fans that were getting in gopher fans faces who were just trying to have a conversation with each other between periods. I was ready to confront those idiots myself. Fans like that make it hard for Sioux fans who make the return trip to Minneapolis, because many fans look at it as a chance to get even. Grow up!
I witnessed the same thing.

Get well Jason.My prayers go out to you.

Lets set the story strait. The media is having a great ride here with this story. Peter Chwialkowski graduated from UND and has never been in this kind of situation before. This is an unfortunate event that happened but people need to realize that there are two sides to every story and the only story the media is hearing is the story of Jason Smith's father who wasn't even there.

Lets set the story strait. The media is having a great ride here with this story. Peter Chwialkowski graduated from UND and has never been in this kind of situation before. This is an unfortunate event that happened but people need to realize that there are two sides to every story and the only story the media is hearing is the story of Jason Smith's father who wasn't even there.

so please enlighten us what really happened if it wasn't... back and forth smack talk between both groups, one of chwialkowski's group pushing smith's brother who was on crutches, smith stepping in to defend his brother then getting cold cocked by chwialkowski, smith knocked out cold cracked his skull and ends up in the hospital. if there was a different sequence of events, i'm sure we would all like to know exactly what went down. and to your "supporting facts" that he is a und grad and hasn't been in trouble before this... neither have any bearing on this situation.

I completely agree with you. I don't know either of the parties involved here, but the Herald story is surely based on an account given by only one side of this incident. Interesting how law enforcement and the REA made no official statements to the Herald (that I've seen anyway). Also interesting that the only account comes from someone that wasn't even present when the incident occurred rather than from actual witnesses to the event.

I am sure in due time more facts will come out from sources that were actually present when this happened or who are more privy to reliable information.

That being said, this is an unfortunate incident that occurred and I would hope everyone would wish Jason a full and healthy recovery.

Did anyone say that the thug didn't go to UND? Is the first near-murder free?

I agree that we've only heard one side, but there were apparently plenty of witnesses so we should get a straight story.

Well said. I have made the trip 5 times now including this year. I was called everything in the book as I am sure many Sioux fans are when they come to Minny or deal with Gopher fans. I have also met a few Sioux fans who are now some of my better friends because of this sport. The stories of UM fans did this and UND fans did that are disheartening and part of me questions some stories on both sides until you have events like the one last weekend. You are reminded not everyone evolves into adulthood the same if at all. Please don't stereotype all Sioux, Gopher, Badger or Beaver fans etc. Acknowledge the good nature barbs and walk away from the idiots. Most of the chirping I heard was very immature or very funny. Nothing worth jacking someone over. You try to filter the idiots and enjoy the good stuff. I cant stand the people who get in your face and yell you suck etc. Be creative and intelligent, it works better and encourages the same in return. As we were walking out of our hotel on Saturday some Sioux fans were saying get ready for the sweep and my brother simply said "I got nothing for you" We laughed and the guy the Sioux it was completely caught off guard. Also, when we walked into the bar at the Canad Inn on Friday before the game we were boo'd by the entire place and it was hilarious. Good stuff. We can all get along and enjoy the sport. Just remember... its just a sport.

As a Gopher fan I apologize on behalf of the civil and denounce the d-bags that wear the colors I am so passionate about . Again had a great time and appreciate the fun and good conversation that was the majority of the weekend. Good luck until we meet again and I hope Jason makes a full recovery and the attacker gets what they deserve under the law.

This from a fan who went out of his way to locate me at the Final Five and chat hockey. Proof that good fans do sometimes to try differentiate themselves from the 'bad apples' in their bunch. At the Final Five two years ago, I got in the face of a drunken Sioux fan who needed help from his mommy just to stand up and talk back to me. After three games of hearing this loudmouth spout off about "Holy Cross" and "F*** the Gophers," I just couldn't take anymore. Bad fans exist everywhere, nothing more, nothing less. Mix in plenty of beer into the evening and it's a powder keg no matter what arena you are in. Good points, Gopherguy33, good luck to your team this season.

This from a fan who went out of his way to locate me at the Final Five and chat hockey. Proof that good fans do sometimes to try differentiate themselves from the 'bad apples' in their bunch. At the Final Five two years ago, I got in the face of a drunken Sioux fan who needed help from his mommy just to stand up and talk back to me. After three games of hearing this loudmouth spout off about "Holy Cross" and "F*** the Gophers," I just couldn't take anymore. Bad fans exist everywhere, nothing more, nothing less. Mix in plenty of beer into the evening and it's a powder keg no matter what arena you are in. Good points, Gopherguy33, good luck to your team this season.

I agree with you on that one.

The media reported that Chwialkowski appeared in GF on a charge of agg assault, but unless they are having computer problems the only thing on his record is a speeding ticket.

The only account of the incident I have read is from someone who was not there. It sounds like neither of these two are the type to be involved in this sort of behavior. I am sure alcohol is a contributing factor. I am sure there are two sides to the story and the truth will likely be somewhere in the middle. Eyewitnesses typically skew the facts in the favor of the side they know.

One thing that appears certain is that Chwialkowski did not try to cause this type of injury. Had Smith not fallen the way he did this would be a case of B misdemeanor simple assault and probably would not have made the news.

The media reported that Chwialkowski appeared in GF on a charge of agg assault, but unless they are having computer problems the only thing on his record is a speeding ticket.

The only account of the incident I have read is from someone who was not there. It sounds like neither of these two are the type to be involved in this sort of behavior. I am sure alcohol is a contributing factor. I am sure there are two sides to the story and the truth will likely be somewhere in the middle. Eyewitnesses typically skew the facts in the favor of the side they know.

One thing that appears certain is that Chwialkowski did not try to cause this type of injury. Had Smith not fallen the way he did this would be a case of B misdemeanor simple assault and probably would not have made the news.

Why did he fall again?

Ok, nice post and all but aren't you going just a little far there?