SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux FB hits bottom: but 2012 is the goal

star2city

In a strange wasy, wasn't really all that shocked by this result. There were only two positives from this loss:

It serves as a notice to Sioux fans of how far Sioux football has to climb to be a factor for FCS playoffs.

It happened during the transition. SDSU lost to DIII UW-LaCrosse during their transition and, with the same coaching staff, moved into the MVFC with a more than respectable team.

USF was better coached, more disciplined, their defense tackled and seemed quicker, the offensive line could pass and run block, the QB was multi-faceted etc. etc. DeBoer, like USF's Leavitt showed at Morningside, might just have the talent to become a BCS coach.

Again, two years ago when Lennon left, he knew there was wasn't sufficient talent left after Dressler & Co. The cupboard's only being restocked with the last couple of classes.

It's painful, but hopefully the wait will be worth it.

In a strange wasy, wasn't really all that shocked by this result. There were only two positives from this loss:

It serves as a notice to Sioux fans of how far Sioux football has to climb to be a factor for FCS playoffs.

It happened during the transition. SDSU lost to DIII UW-LaCrosse during their transition and, with the same coaching staff, moved into the MVFC with a more than respectable team.

USF was better coached, more disciplined, their defense tackled and seemed quicker, the offensive line could pass and run block, the QB was multi-faceted etc. etc. DeBoer, like USF's Leavitt showed at Morningside, might just have the talent to become a BCS coach.

Again, two years ago when Lennon left, he knew there was wasn't sufficient talent left after Dressler & Co. The cupboard's only being restocked with the last couple of classes.

It's painful, but hopefully the wait will be worth it.

That's all well and good but if we don't win some games between now and then we'll be screwed in 2012 as well. If you don't win then you can't recruit. We're heading a bad direction right now unless something changes.

That's all well and good but if we don't win some games between now and then we'll be screwed in 2012 as well. If you don't win then you can't recruit. We're heading a bad direction right now unless something changes.

A DIII loss didn't destroy SDSU's recruiting.

A lot of factors go into recruiting. If a recruit in Wisconsin is choosing between UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD, would UND losing to USF be a major factor in the decision? Doubtful.

A DIII loss didn't destroy SDSU's recruiting.

A lot of factors go into recruiting. If a recruit in Wisconsin is choosing between UND, NDSU, SDSU, and USD, would UND losing to USF be a major factor in the decision? Doubtful.

Not entirely but if you start losing regulary that's a difficult trend to break out of. That's where we're heading as I really don't see another winnable game on our schedule this season if we're going to play like we did today. Losing will continue unless a message is sent that it will not be tolerated.

Not entirely but if you start losing regulary that's a difficult trend to break out of. That's where we're heading as I really don't see another winnable game on our schedule this season if we're going to play like we did today. Losing will continue unless a message is sent that it will not be tolerated.

At least that will mean NDSU can't recruit, either. :silly:

Southern Oregon is a very winnable game, even if we play like today. If the Sioux should somehow lose to SOU, major changes need to be done to the coaching staff.

Next Saturday will be a tell-tale sign. I'm F---ing beyond furious in the heat of the moment but let's see the body of work. Not looking good right now.

Southern Oregon is a very winnable game, even if we play like today. If the Sioux should somehow lose to SOU, major changes need to be done to the coaching staff.

I'm pretty sure we'll beat S. Oregon. But I've resigned myself that 4-7 is the best we can do. Hopefully we can just avoid being embarrassed in the remaining FCS games.

I'm pretty sure we'll beat S. Oregon. But I've resigned myself that 4-7 is the best we can do. Hopefully we can just avoid being embarrassed in the remaining FCS games.

Agreed. I was thinking that 6-5 just turned into 4-7 in those three hours today. Let's see what happens in Cedar City UT.

Agreed. I was thinking that 6-5 just turned into 4-7 in those three hours today. Let's see what happens in Cedar City UT.

I think we are going to struggle with SUU. But on the flip side, even after today's disaster, I have a feeling we are going to upset Davis. So maybe its a wash.

Losing to an NAIA school (even a very good one) is not a bad day, it's INEXCUSABLE. UND needs to bring in a coaching staff that can recruit outside of ND and MN. Until UND can do that, it can forget being a real player in FCS.

We are not a real player in the FCS (yet), that why it is called transitioning.

We are not a real player in the FCS (yet), that why it is called transitioning.

Our Division II powerhouse teams would have beaten USF by at least two touchdowns, if not more. We cannot keep telling ourselves that we are still a Division II team. We have to think, act and talk like an FCS program. Otherwise, it won't get better anytime soon.

I've read your stuff, we shoud've stayed D-2 I get it.

You obivously can not read...?

I said we had a bad day, everyone does. The sky is not falling, we are in the early stages or transitioning to a higher level of Football the FCS. UND will be very good in the FCS, but it is no going to happen instantly, it takes time. I have faith in UND the history of their program, the Coaches on staff and the players they are recruiting. Today we lost to a very good team (we played poorly) this team has won 48 of their last 49 games...

Did I type slowly enough for you....?

You obivously can not read...?

I said we had a bad day, everyone does. The sky is not falling, we are in the early stages or transitioning to a higher level of Football the FCS. UND will be very good in the FCS, but it is no going to happen instantly, it takes time. I have faith in UND the history of their program, the Coaches on staff and the players they are recruiting. Today we lost to a very good team (we played poorly) this team has won 48 of their last 49 games...

Did I type slowly enough for you....?

Yes you "typed slowly enough for me". Glad to have you aboard! :silly:

I guess nobody here at Sioux Sports ever had a bad day.....?

Walrus, you know I love you like a brother but this is beyond a "bad day". An NAIA school with 1/4 of the scholarship money we have didn't just beat us, they kicked the dog out of us. We were never in this game and when they had the ball, we couldn't get it back.

You're right, in the big picture, we'll be fine. Good coaches, good kids, etc. but this is not acceptable and cannot be swept under the rug. Horrible effort by everyone, just horrible.

I guess nobody here at Sioux Sports ever had a bad day.....?

No kidding. I'm not sure what I'm more disappointed in, the way UND played and lost today, or the way some people are commenting. No doubt, it's very disappointing and unacceptable for us to lose to a NAIA team. Sioux Falls is talented, well-coached and disciplined and were the better team today. No excuses. I'm no happier about it than anyone else on here. I think it sucks bad that we lost to them and I am very frustrated.

However, I like Shawn-O's idea. Wait till the end of the season to see how this thing plays out before going off the deep end. We will learn a lot about the overall character of this team in the coming weeks. What we do from here on out for the rest of the season will have a very big effect on how we recruit in the near future.

Hopefully, we have reached bottom in terms of morale for the transition. We knew it wasn't going to be easy. Nowhere to go but up from here.

People, people one game does not define a season. If we would have lost to Texas Tech by 50 points would it sum up what our season is going to be...no. We lost to a good USF team because of one reason we overlooked them. Mussman said we were not prepared no sh-t. You never overlook any opponent or you will most likely get beat. So take the rest of the season 1 game at a time and when we play S. Oregon and get beat because they are overlooking this D2 team then the coaching staff must go. But we are still learning with this young coaching staff. The season is NOT over!!!

At least that will mean NDSU can't recruit, either. :silly:

Babich recruited following players in one class after going 2-8

Craig Dahl S 6' 3 206 Madison Lake, MN

Justin Frick DE 6' 4 255 Yankton, SD

John Majeski S 6' 0 180 Hastings, MN

Joe Mays LB 6' 0 230 Chicago, IL

Nate Safe OT 6' 4 280 Cannon Falls, MN

Steve Walker QB 6' 1 195 Lockport, IL

Mike Dragosavich WR 6' 6 200 Oak Lawn, IL

Cinque Chapman-Pratt RB 5' 1 188 Chicago, IL

maybe Bohl is tanking this season and hoping for a higher draft pick :angry:

maybe Bohl is tanking this season and hoping for a higher draft pick :silly:

And on the other hand, NDSU's classes immediately after a couple of 10-1 seasons weren't overly good. You just never know. I'm not really as worried about recruiting as much as X's and O's right now.

maybe Bohl is tanking this season and hoping for a higher draft pick :silly:

I'm proposing a truce on all Sioux-Bison smack talk for the remainder of the season. At this point it's a lot like arguing with your buddy about who brought home the prettier fat chick the night before. No matter who wins in a way you both lost big time.