SiouxSports.com Forum

USF @ Fighting Sioux - GDT

Shawn-O

mksioux, I fully agree about the 2011 game. I was saying to other USF people to enjoy the visit cuz we wont be making a return trip. I see UND buying the game out or something..even though USF will be in their first year of D2 at that point....it seems like the risk isn't worth the reward.

....after watching the replay of the game after I returned home....your announcers are much appreciated....the color guy knows football like a coach and the pbp guy knew all our players and how to say their names right away. Trust me, after dealing with horrible NAIA National Championship TV broadcasts, it was nice to have 2 guys who took preparation seriously.

Petey23, thanks again for giving us directions virtually the entire weekend and being a good host.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, hats off to U of Sioux Falls. They came into GF and proved themselves. The problem they will face in the future, is no one is going to want to schedule them.

I wasn't able to listen or watch the game. I was only able to follow it via blackberry, but from what I read, the Sioux did little right. I blame the coaching more than the players for what happened on Saturday, but there is enough blame to go around. Adjustments should have been made after USF took the first drove down the field. The defense needs to improve for UND to compete at the FCS level.

Hopefully, the Sioux learn from this and don't forget it.

Can we blame Mertens for this? :silly:

Like I said in a different thread:

The mistake concerns me; the response afterwards is what I'm interested in.

If Mussman doesn't figure out and begin to fix what went wrong Saturday, well, that's making the mistake twice, and that's not forgivable.

If it comes to that, I know who's on the top of my short list of people: Kalen DeBoer.

If you believe Ken Massey (http://www.mratings.com) right now U of Sioux Falls is ...

#1 in NAIA

#1 in Division III

#5 in Division II

#25 in FCS (formerly DI-AA)

and wrap your head around this ... is ranked higher than 12 FBS (DI-A) schools.

It's not the fancy "level name" you play at.

It's what you do on the field that matters.

If you believe Ken Massey (http://www.mratings.com) right now U of Sioux Falls is ...

#1 in NAIA

#1 in Division III

#5 in Division II

You think Sioux and Bison fans are down, think of the shame the Wagner fans are feeling...

#1 in NAIA

#1 in Division III

#5 in Division II

Which is why playing this game was so foolish in the first place. I knew USF would be good, as did you and many other posters on this board.

But the problem is that most people want to compartmentalize every team based on the division they play in and since USF was NAIA that equates to Mayville State or Valley City State which in turn equates to no good. In actuality, USF transcends its level of play and would at minimum be a D-II playoff team but no one will look past the NAIA label. It was a no win situation.

There are people calling this the worst loss in UND history... just based upon the actual talent on the field, I don't even think it's the worst loss in the last 5 years. The 2005 loss to a far inferior UNO team when UND blew a 19 point lead and a national championship season was much worse if you ask me.

There are people calling this the worst loss in UND history... just based upon the actual talent on the field, I don't even think it's the worst loss in the last 5 years. The 2005 loss to a far inferior UNO team when UND blew a 19 point lead and a national championship season was much worse if you ask me.

But at least that was just a fourth quarter collapse. The team never even showed up on Sat. Kinda like the SUU game last year. Just went through the motions since we had beat them in Utah the year before. Ended up losing a game that should have been an easy win.

Which is why playing this game was so foolish in the first place. I knew USF would be good, as did you and many other posters on this board.

But the problem is that most people want to compartmentalize every team based on the division they play in and since USF was NAIA that equates to Mayville State or Valley City State which in turn equates to no good. In actuality, USF transcends its level of play and would at minimum be a D-II playoff team but no one will look past the NAIA label. It was a no win situation.

I can't really articulate exactly why, but I'd actually have preferred to finish this season 2-9, having defeated Sioux Falls (and S. Oregon), than to finish around .500, but with a loss to Sioux Falls. Losses to established FCS programs are just far easier to rationalize. The UNO loss you mentioned certainly bothered me, but I didn't have the "sky is falling" feeling I have now. Regardless of how good of a team Sioux Falls is, the stigma of losing to an NAIA team with a fraction of our resources is going to take awhile to get over, at least for me. I admit it, I have a very hard time getting over the NAIA label, not to mention all the other advantages we have relative to a tiny private school.

Every kid on USF's sideline would have jumped at the chance to play for the Sioux. Their roster is made up of guys who weren't good enought to get shots at the four Division I universities in the Dakota's. That's what makes this loss so damn bad. We lost to a team of players who weren't even good enough to be on our roster. That's far worse than losing to UNO when we were Division II or to another FCS team now that we are Division I. We now have to go into recruits homes this offseason knowing full well that whoever we recruit against is reminding the players that we're a program that doesn't have the talent level to beat an NAIA program. Any future player we target will remember this and somehow you don't think that will hurt us? The performance this Saturday basically destroyed any eminence the program has established over the last 15 years and set us back immensely.

Every kid on USF's sideline would have jumped at the chance to play for the Sioux. Their roster is made up of guys who weren't good enought to get shots at the four Division I universities in the Dakota's. That's what makes this loss so damn bad. We lost to a team of players who weren't even good enough to be on our roster. That's far worse than losing to UNO when we were Division II or to another FCS team now that we are Division I. We now have to go into recruits homes this offseason knowing full well that whoever we recruit against is reminding the players that we're a program that doesn't have the talent level to beat an NAIA program. Any future player we target will remember this and somehow you don't think that will hurt us? The performance this Saturday basically destroyed any eminence the program has established over the last 15 years and set us back immensely.

As pointed out elsewhere, SDSU had a much worse loss during it's transition, but which one of the four Dakota D-I schools is in the best position right now?

NDSU (coming off a 2-8 season in D-II) beat Montana and it didn't exactly collapse the Grizzly program.

UND's win over UNI certainly didn't do much for UND's recruiting in 2007 while UNI seems to be doing just fine.

And where exactly did I say that this wasn't a bad loss?

Of course it is unacceptable, but you're blowing it out of proportion for what it means for the future of the program. Regionally, UND is recruiting against NDSU (who is now 1-6), USD (who we have owned for 15 years) and SDSU (UND went into SD and took two recruits last year who the Jacks wanted) so I don't think this one loss to USF is going suddenly make recruiting impossible.

How about we leave SDSU out of this discussion? (We had our own LaCrosse game a few years ago.) The USF over UND win causes this Jackrabbit no embarassment. This is UND's problem.

Well, because here is why. Check out the poll KWSN Radio is running today asking if USF could beat SDSU, USD, and Augie. Of course some idiots are voting that of course USF could beat State and The U.

http://www.kwsn.com/

I knew this would happen.

Well, because here is why. Check out the poll KWSN Radio is running today asking if USF could beat SDSU, USD, and Augie. Of course some idiots are voting that of course USF could beat State and The U.

http://www.kwsn.com/

I knew this would happen.

Well, the only logical conclusion one could come to is that at the very least, USF is better than USD.

If USD or any of the other SD schools feel they need a chance to prove otherwise, schedule them.

Well, the only logical conclusion one could come to is that at the very least, USF is better than USD.

If USD or any of the other SD schools feel they need a chance to prove otherwise, schedule them.

USD would handle USF for by four plus scores. For all their faults USD takes care of their cupcakes. We used to but this past Saturday we choked on ours.

Columnists and opposing fans are going to be riding this horse for all its worth for years. Here's the first shot from the Heraldo's own Ryan Bakken:

You have only 12 days left to put together your costume. So, here are 10 suggestions of what will frighten certain individuals or groups on Halloween:

1. A Green Bay Packers fan: A purple No. 4 jersey.

2. A Sioux football player: A Cougar. No, not a large, powerful cat. No, not a 40-something woman lusting after him. Rather, a University of Sioux Falls football-playing Cougar.

USD would handle USF for by four plus scores. For all their faults USD takes care of their cupcakes. We used to but this past Saturday we choked on ours.

I don't know... USF would pick apart USD's defense just like they did to UND.

USD should schedule them. USF will be looking for opponents in 2011 when they don't have a conference and are transitioning to D2. USD could easily sell out their dome. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Speaking of choking on cupcakes, anyone remember UND losing to Mesa State in 2003? UND beat them 66-7 the year before and Mesa was operating with about 15 scholarships. If USF had to count its aid based on NCAA standards, I bet they would have 35+ players on scholarship right now. Plus, I'm sure USF is getting players that wouldn't get through the NCAA clearinghouse. From a pure football standpoint, that Mesa State loss was just as bad... it's just that in this case no one can get past the NAIA label.

USD should schedule them. USF will be looking for opponents in 2011 when they don't have a conference and are transitioning to D2. USD could easily sell out their dome. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Speaking of choking on cupcakes, anyone remember UND losing to Mesa State in 2003? UND beat them 66-7 the year before and Mesa was operating with about 15 scholarships. If USF had to count its aid based on NCAA standards, I bet they would have 35+ players on scholarship right now. Plus, I'm sure USF is getting players that wouldn't get through the NCAA clearinghouse. From a pure football standpoint, that Mesa State loss was just as bad... it's just that in this case no one can get past the NAIA label.

UND actually beat Mesa State by a combined 131-14 in the two games at the Alerus in 2002 and 2004. The 2003 loss certainly was a choke, but I guess the fact that it was on the road, and the fact that I believe Mesa actually made the dII playoffs in 2003 made it more palatable to most fans than the Sioux Falls loss is.

UND actually beat Mesa State by a combined 131-14 in the two games at the Alerus in 2002 and 2004. The 2003 loss certainly was a choke, but I guess the fact that it was on the road, and the fact that I believe Mesa actually made the dII playoffs in 2003 made it more palatable to most fans than the Sioux Falls loss is.

Yes, Mesa did make the playoffs that year. But if you put USF in the RMAC, they would be in the D-II playoffs every year as well.

I looked it up. At the time that Mesa beat UND, Mesa was coming off a 5-6 season and had lost its season opener the previous week 42-16 to Central Oklahoma. At the time it happened, this was a much worse loss.

Let's face it, it's USF's NAIA label that no one can get past. :D

After watching the Coyotes the last two games against UC Davis and Montana St I really don't think USF would pick apart our D. Admittedly, we've had problems with the D in the past but the unit has really played a lot better of late. USD did put out the offer to USF to come to Vermillion, they turned us down because UND paid them more.

You guys got caught in a perfect storm. You were banged up, just got off of two tough games after spending the whole first month of the season on the road. Have to go to SUU next week. Ahh, USF is just an NAIA school, we'll take care of them. Watching the game, the coaches didn't prepare and the players were not ready to play.

If USF ever were to play USD, and I would be in TOTAL favor of it happening, USD would be prepared and would lay the wood to USF. You see, we have extra motivation seeing as how they are right there in Sioux Falls, and everybody around here has had to listen to Soo Foo Coo talk for far to long. No, there would be incentive to bury that team once and for all.

I doubt it will ever happen though as our home schedule for the next couple years is shaping up nicely.