SiouxSports.com Forum

Wild/Blues

sprig

Neither of them scored. Sejna got a penalty. Don't think any of them got a shot on goal. Panzer was on the ice a lot, but never for any prolonged period of time.

I'll tell you folks, it was like Sioux hockey last year in the second half minus the shots. A lot of icing, pure defensive hockey from the Wild and no offensive output.

It was, however, really cool watching Bombardir totally take a guy out with a clothesline from hell. Yeah, he got penalized, but it was really cool. Also, a Wild player knocked Pronger on his a$$

In unrelated praise, Osgood had two really good saves and I got to see two straight Al MacInnis slap shots.

Gaoltending was good on both sides, but Roloson was making better saves because the Blues were picking their shots. Testimony how good Roloson played is that there were only 2 goals scored (Rycroft and Mellanby)

And no, Roche definitely did not play.

I thought Sejna played pretty well, he got denied by Roloson on a breakaway...there was a Wild player on his heels though, I think it was Zyuzin or Kuba, but that's just a guess.

Panzer got the loudest cheer when starting lineups were announced (he was the only Sioux player that started), and lost the opening faceoff to Zholtok, but all in all played a pretty decent game. He looked really small on the ice, so did Sejna.

Tkachuck was the player that Bombardier took out...it looked to me like it was more like Brad tried to avoid him and got tangled up, but the takedown was pretty cool.

redwing...are you sure you SAW the MacInnis shots. I just remember a wind up and then it was in the corner :angry: . Roloson had an outstanding game and was tested quite a bit. I didn't see the Mellanby goal (damn beer line) but Rycoff's was a pretty good shot through a screen

On a semi-related note, one of the linesman had a UND connection too. I don't know if he went to school here, but his sister did and was my flight instructor in the spring of 2002.

I thought Sejna played pretty well, he got denied by Roloson on a breakaway...there was a Wild player on his heels though, I think it was Zyuzin or Kuba, but that's just a guess.

Panzer got the loudest cheer when starting lineups were announced (he was the only Sioux player that started), and lost the opening faceoff to Zholtok, but all in all played a pretty decent game. He looked really small on the ice, so did Sejna.

Tkachuck was the player that Bombardier took out...it looked to me like it was more like Brad tried to avoid him and got tangled up, but the takedown was pretty cool.

redwing...are you sure you SAW the MacInnis shots. I just remember a wind up and then it was in the corner :angry: . Roloson had an outstanding game and was tested quite a bit. I didn't see the Mellanby goal (damn beer line) but Rycoff's was a pretty good shot through a screen

On a semi-related note, one of the linesman had a UND connection too. I don't know if he went to school here, but his sister did and was my flight instructor in the spring of 2002.

It was Kuba because he got penalized for hooking.

And Panzer wasn't the only Sioux that started. Baron also started. It was interesting that St Louis started most of the Sioux in their lineup (Ryan Johnson was the only one who didn't start) and the Wild started none.

And the two shots I saw Al shoot both went on goal. I didn't see the puck, I saw Roloson covering the puck both times. Actually, the second time he didn't cover it. I remember him talking to a ref for some reason. I'm very sure, however, that both shots hit Roloson, though.

Mellanby's goal was simply bad defense by the Wild. Tkachuk was behind the Wild net and sent the puck to Mellanby who was just inside of the faceoff circle. He shot it in to Roloson's left top shelf I think.

Heck of a career for Murray Baron. Another from the 87 team who's still around. With the Blues in town for a few days of practice, do you think Murray will be taking his millionaire buddies over to the Red Pepper?

Actually, this is why I think the Wild aren't a Stanley Cup contender. Yeah, they have heart and they do have a lot of good roleplayers, but they have only one true offensive threat. Take him out and you have a middle of the road team. They need someone to step up and take charge or they might as well get used to the fact that this year will be disappointing until the draft, where they will be able to pick higher :angry:

And Panzer wasn't the only Sioux that started. Baron also started. It was interesting that St Louis started most of the Sioux in their lineup (Ryan Johnson was the only one who didn't start) and the Wild started none.

If I am not mistaken, #76 Panzer, #17 Ryan Johnson and #20 Eric Nickulas were the starting forwards for St. Louis.

The linesmen is Thor Nelson who is from, and still resides in, Minot.

St Louis starters:

Jeff Panzer (76), Ryan Johnson (17), Eric Nickulas (20) -- Al MacInnis (2), Murray Baron (23)

Minnesota starters:

Alexandre Daigle (9), Antti Laaksonen (24), Sergei Zholtok (33) -- Nick Schultz (55), Filip Kuba (17)

I thought Panzer had a shot on goal in the 1st period -- I'm probably wrong.

The best comment I heard was from the guy behind -- when Brad B. took his penalty: "That was a Gino penalty."

Sejna played well -- he had pp time and pk time -- didn't look out of place at all -- so glad he's not at CC this year!

Actually, this is why I think the Wild aren't a Stanley Cup contender. Yeah, they have heart and they do have a lot of good roleplayers, but they have only one true offensive threat. Take him out and you have a middle of the road team. They need someone to step up and take charge or they might as well get used to the fact that this year will be disappointing until the draft, where they will be able to pick higher :angry:

They are also missing a lot of offense on their team with two of their stars holding out. Its time to pay Gabby what he wants.

On a different note, several members of the St. Louis coaching staff, including the head coach, and a few of their players were at Dagwood's after the game last night. They were very friendly and accessible.

Based on my observations of their coaching staff and players combined with the Blues treatment of Panzer - calling him up for a game in his hometown - I would have to say that St. Louis is a quality and classy organization.

I realize that there is advertising which needs to be done and that it was a MN Wild event, but why didn't the REA and/or ADept put together a highlight video of the 5 UND players and possibly include some on the other 3 WCHA players -- a lot of people around me didn't know Murray Baron and Ryan Johnson were former Sioux players -- few recognized Sejna from CC and he played at the REA last season, so it wasn't likely they remembered Rycroft (Denver) and/or Mellanby (Wisconsin) the 2 who scored the only goals -- I would think that there would be tape on all of those guys ...... and at the REA we have an awesome set up for viewing such tape -- it would have added something extra to the game ....

The atmosphere is exactly how I'd expect it at an exhibition game that isn't in either one of the team's arenas: Family day at the rink. Who plays Stray Cats, N'Sync, and Weezer at a real hockey game? Probably no one. Certainly didn't fire me up. What surprised me was that they actually had the sound system turned up. Won't see that during the regular season.

One other thing that was nice: NO BLIMPS.

But yeah, the atmosphere was a joke. There were a few guys near me who got into the game, but everyone pretty much laughed at them. And for the life of me I could have swore it was a Gophers game for the amount of Gopher jerseys in my section. :angry:

One note though: The peewee game during the first intermission was really, yes, cute. No shots on goal. One near breakaway. Pure defensive contest for the kids who decided to play instead of skate and flail around on the ice :D

scmidtty...Thor Nelson? I know there is a Chris Nelson that is an instructor up here, that also works with me at Target...brother perhaps? I was actually talking about Brian Mach...his sister Molly was my instrument instructor, she was actually the best instructor I've had up here.

Gaborik needs to get rid of that greedy agent and sign. And why is Dupuis holding out? He's good, but I have a feeling he's asking for more money than he is worth.

We were also missing Wes Walz last night...leg injury I think.

BTW...I thought jersey chasers stopped after college, not so. There were 3 of them sitting behind me. I was wishing for Sioux jersey chasers after that, at lest their decent looking.

"Oh my god, I just saw a player talikng outside on his cell phone."

Gasp."Who was it?"

"I don't know he was about 5'11" and had blonde hair and talking in a foreign language. I think it was Pierre-Marc Bouchard. If it was Wes Walz I would have asked him to sign my jersey, I love Wes."

:angry:

scmidtty...Thor Nelson? I know there is a Chris Nelson that is an instructor up here, that also works with me at Target...brother perhaps? I was actually talking about Brian Mach...his sister Molly was my instrument instructor, she was actually the best instructor I've had up here.

Gaborik needs to get rid of that greedy agent and sign. And why is Dupuis holding out? He's good, but I have a feeling he's asking for more money than he is worth.

We were also missing Wes Walz last night...leg injury I think.

BTW...I thought jersey chasers stopped after college, not so. There were 3 of them sitting behind me. I was wishing for Sioux jersey chasers after that, at lest their decent looking.

"Oh my god, I just saw a player talikng outside on his cell phone."

Gasp."Who was it?"

"I don't know he was about 5'11" and had blonde hair and talking in a foreign language. I think it was Pierre-Marc Bouchard. If it was Wes Walz I would have asked him to sign my jersey, I love Wes."

:angry:

It is good to see that both linesmen have ties to North Dakota. I am not sure where Brian Mach is from though, sorry.