SiouxSports.com Forum

Do Native Americans go to UND cheaper?

sioux rube

Native Americans pay the same basic rates for school as everyone else. There is not a general discounted rate for Native Americans. I don't have specific information, but I know that there are quite a few scholarship programs for Native Americans that help them pay for school. They may also qualify at a higher rate for financial aid because of income, especially the ones coming from the reservations, but that is just a guess. So my answer (still just a guess) would be that an average NA would pay the same for school at UND as anyone else, but there are probably a larger per capita number of NA students receiving financial aid in the way of scholarships and grants.

Additionally, there are specific programs that were created to give NA's an advantage. The most obvious one that I can think of is InMED. The med school provides openings into medical school that are held only for native americans. I know a couple people who have taken advantage of these. It is unlikely they would have made it into med school without it.

Additionally, there are specific programs that were created to give NA's an advantage. The most obvious one that I can think of is InMED. The med school provides openings into medical school that are held only for native americans. I know a couple people who have taken advantage of these. It is unlikely they would have made it into med school without it.

I think that there are a few programs like that on campus. Those are usually Federally funded programs.

UND makes money off of InMed from the rent they have to pay.

UND makes money off of InMed from the rent they have to pay.

UND loses money in that space may have been more useful for some other research or grant program.

(Sorry, but I couldn't let spin in that direction spin with out some counter spin.)

As far as cost/rates to go to UND, 82SiouxFan sums it up well.

I think 82 sums it up well.

I do think (and I'll get flamed for this) that there are a lot more support systems and programs set up for NA than for any other student ethnicity.

I do believe that there are leniencies in certain areas (such as minimum GPA) in certain schools to help boost NA enrollment and retention in those Schools as well.

Not to mention the fact that I don't recall there being a $10 million Caucasion cultural Center on campus.... or even one for African or Asian Americans for that matter.

Nickname or not, it's not easy being NA at any University, but certainly UND has a lot to give an NA student.