SiouxSports.com Forum

Phil Jackson

GeauxSioux

Although I'm not a Lakers fan (heck, I'm not even an NBA fan), congratulations to former UND great Phil Jackson for winning his 10th NBA Championship. This puts him ahead of Auerbach for most championships.

Sioux Pro-Files: Jackson's 10th title sets him apart

In fact, Jackson has now won more championships than any head coach in North American pro sports modern history. According to ESPN the Magazine's Chris Broussard, Jackson has cemented his legacy as the greatest coach in NBA history. Orlando head coach Stan Van Gundy, who became Jackson's latest finals victim, agrees.

While at UND Phil was coached by Bill Fitch, who also went on to a sterling career as a head coach in the NBA. Fitch may not have had as glorious a record as an NBA head coach as Jackson, but it was still good enough for Fitch to have been selected as one of the NBA's 10 best coaches of all time. Jackson, of course, made the 10-best list as well. It's also interesting to note that over a three-year period in the mid- to late 1960s under Fitch with Jackson playing a key role that the Sioux men's basketball team, if I recall correctly, posted a 70-16 record over that three-year span, winning three straight North

Central Conference championships in the process. I believe the team also finished third and then fourth in consecutive

appearances at the then College Division tournament at Evansville, Indiana. Those were some heady times for Sioux sports of that era.

While at UND Phil was coached by Bill Fitch, who also went on to a sterling career as a head coach in the NBA.

And the assistant during that time was ... Jimmy Rodgers.

In that photo there are 11 NBA titles as a head coach (1 for Fitch, the tall guy has the other 10). There are six titles as an assistant (Rodgers). And there are at least three other Finals appearances (Fitch, Houston; Jackson, LAL, twice) ... three NBA coach of the year awards ... two of the ten greatest coaches in NBA history.