SiouxSports.com Forum

No More Home Playoff Games in Montana?

Shawn-O

The NCAA has been after fantasy leagues for years. See this thread where they considered use of players' names to be illegal commercial use (even though it was simply use of factual stats, the promotion of which the players themselves had nothing to do with).

As long as the NCAA continues to punish its members for things outside of the core mission of association membership (i.e. college athletics), lawmakers need to take a look at whether membership is truly voluntary and the NCAA's legal status in wielding this much power over society. Is the NCAA a monopoly? Is the NCAA a cartel? Is the NCAA a state actor?

Is the NCAA a monopoly? Is the NCAA a cartel? Is the NCAA a state actor?

Yes. Yes. And, Yes.

1. Business Week magazine polled Harvard economists recently and they rated them a better monopoly than the US Post Office and OPEC!

2. I answer yes because you could view the three levels of NCAA play (Division I, II, and III) as Venezuela, Iran, and Saudi Arabia of OPEC. Each acts to their interest, and yet to their mutual benefit as well.

3. The minute Myles Brand started talking about the NCAA being a "catalyst for social change" and dictating public policy to pubic governing authorities (for example, the North Dakota State Board of Higher Education, and now the Delaware and Montana gaming boards) they are attempting to take on, dare I say monopolize, a role in interstate commerce that Constitutionally only belongs to the Federal Government.

How many times do I have to say ... "wait until it's your ox being gored."

... lawmakers need to take a look at whether membership is truly voluntary ...

NCAA membership is as "voluntary" as car insurance.

Sure, you don't have to have car insurance as long as you don't drive a car.

And sure, you can change insurance companies, but will you get the same "coverage"?

Public entities (like the ND Insurance Commissioner) reign in insurance companies, not the other way around.

But that's not how it's working in college athletics.

I eventually see the big schools breaking away from the NCAA and starting their own association. The catalyst could be trying to force a playoff.

It would probably be the PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, the new Big East football conference and Notre Dame.

The rest will be left behind in the NCAA. Maybe then the NCAA can consolidate the FCS and FBS into simply "DI Football", with a true playoff, etc.

The affirmance of the Executive Committees power to enact the Indian nickname policy proved that the membership had no problem giving the NCAA a rediculous and unwarranted amount of power. Another result of that power is an unelected body in Indianapolis is essentially dicating Montana and Delaware state law on gambling.

It would be interesting to see the votes by the reps for the Montana schools and Delaware on giving the Executive Committee the power to legislate social change. The vote was so overwhelming that chances are they voted in favor of it. If so, then let them suffer. This may sound petty, but given how no schools rallied to UND's cause, I don't really care what the NCAA does to other schools. Bring on the post season bans and let the members get what they deserve.

The affirmance of the Executive Committees power to enact the Indian nickname policy proved that the membership had no problem giving the NCAA a rediculous and unwarranted amount of power. Another result of that power is an unelected body in Indianapolis is essentially dicating Montana and Delaware state law on gambling.

It would be interesting to see the votes by the reps for the Montana schools and Delaware on giving the Executive Committee the power to legislate social change. The vote was so overwhelming that chances are they voted in favor of it. If so, then let them suffer. This may sound petty, but given how no schools rallied to UND's cause, I don't really care what the NCAA does to other schools. Bring on the post season bans and let the members get what they deserve.

If you follow the links to the local Montana media outlets, the media interviews with those responsible for the legislation in Montana indicate they are ready to change the laws ASAP to keep home playoff eligibility. It seems Montana at least does not want a fight in this.

And folks, since when do state lawmakers, with a constitutional ruling from the state's highest court, have to prove anything to the NCAA? Who the [bleep] does the NCAA think it is?

I eventually see the big schools breaking away from the NCAA and starting their own association. The catalyst could be trying to force a playoff.

It would probably be the PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12, SEC, ACC, the new Big East football conference and Notre Dame.

The rest will be left behind in the NCAA. Maybe then the NCAA can consolidate the FCS and FBS into simply "DI Football", with a true playoff, etc.

I think that hockey should do that as well. I could see division 1 basketball and football doing that.

From the article...

Montana's law allows people to win money in fantasy leagues, but not from the outcome of actual games.

So I guess the question is, how much money is being made on this type of thing? Is there some sort of fantasy league that includes the stats from the lower Division football leagues?? Does the NCAA have a freakin' clue? Are you kidding me?

"Listen, we know you're leading the league in catches, but someone on Weber State is catching up and it's worth big money to us to have him win. So we'll split the take with you if you take a dive in this game. Here's the offer: $37.50 for you, and $37.50 for us."

Here's the offer: $37.50 for you, and $37.50 for us."

"Don't take it! Don't take it! He's cheating you. I know if the Weber State guy gets two more catches he'll make at least $90 and you should get at least $45!" ;)

Memphis has ACADEMIC FRAUD issues affecting eligibility in their basketball program, and let's the coach during that time slip away with no saction to Kentucky, and the NCAA is worrying about constitutional legislation in Delaware and Montana.

Memphis has ACADEMIC FRAUD issues affecting eligibility in their basketball program...

You have to have academics before you can have academic fraud.

Don't feel sorry for Memphis: they got what they wanted. Calipari isn't clean, everyone knows it and so did Memphis (and so does Kentucky). The NCAA should have had a "show cause" on him for the rest of his life after UMass; but there he is-nice suit, shoes shined and ready for business in Lexington.