http://www.insidecollegehockey.com/7Archiv...oaches_0203.htm

Coaches from WCHA listed:

1) Badger Bob

2) Herb B.

3) Murray Armstrong (Denver)

7) John MacInnes (MT)

14) Don Lucia

16) Jeff Sauer

Gino 3 titles and CB 2 titles --- obviously titles and putting talent into the NHL doesn't out weigh the other intangibles.... Those down seasons really must've hurt towards any consideration given to Gino & CB.

Minutes to response from POI crowd... 22.

A list such as this is so subjective that it isn't even worth doing. Different eras mean different criteria. The variables are so great that a true comparison isn't possible.

I haven't checked USCHO, but I assume that there is already a thread there that has degraded into a flame-fest because some coach was left off of the list. Just like every other thread on there.

This post was edited because I screwed up and deleted my other post. Whoops. :D

An interesting debate could be on the best assembly of coach, associate coach(es) and assistant coaches -- 'cause as important as the head coach is, the assistant's are very important (for example: UND's 2001 runner-up finish -- CB was away for part of the season while his daughter was being treated, great job of stepping up by DH & BB).

During title years there were

head coach - Gino

assistants and/or associate - CB, Cary Eades & John Marks

hc - Gino

a - CB, Don Boyd

hc - CB

a - Scott Sandelin, Lee Davidson, Jeff Bowen

The reason I like Lucia is due to his longevity, his winning at all stops, and of course his recent NCs.

I due like him and Blais over:

Mason: His teams were not feared since the '80s.

Walsh: Questionable ethics, results were in fact top shelf.

Sauer: His teams were not really NC contenders his last ten years.

Jack Parker is the only questionable top five pick, but only active coaches like Lucia, Blais, York, and Berenson in my opinion can pass him.

There are solid arguments to be made for many coaches. I figure the reason Coach Sauer is at 16, was because there are many that could be named, he won the tie-breaker .......... the tie-breaker being that he has a regular column on insidecollegehockey.com ....... it wouldn't have been nice of InCH to leave him off the list .... :D

If we were going to give out popularity points -- well, here's one for Mike Sertich ---- he was/is always a fun interview to listen to ....

I thought it was petty to put Sauer on the list when is actually writes a column for the site.

Not that I'd expect any thing different from college hockey's own tabloid.

Mason, Sauer and Walshie? Over Gasparini and Blais? INCH is probably about -2 on the credibility scale IMO.

Ned Harkness as Number 5!!! Remember when that snake oil salesman was about to come to North Dakota in the late 70's, after Rube Bjorkman "stepped down" after a less than stellar career? Harkness was everyone's fair-haired boy, and then the Administration promoted Gino to the post. Virg Foss, as I recall, went nuts. Well, thank God someone saw through Ned's bs, and put us on the road to glory with Gino and his great teams from the late 70's and throughout the 80's.

Harkness? Doug Woog was a better coach.

No?

Can't argue with Lucia's success, now that he has weened the Gopher fans off of their "Minnesota kids" hockey arrogance and recruited North Dakotans and foreigners to carry them to the top.

I will argue with Lucia appearing on local TV to shill Minnesota Mortgage Company, with maroon and gold business colors, and claim that Minnesota Mortgage is Number 1 while he stands near the two NCAA Championship trophies.

Absolutely without class. I cannot believe that the University, or the NCAA, would even allow him to line his own pocket with the trinkets of amatuer success.

Lucia is focused on his own agenda. If Minnesota Mortgage can buy him, he can't be very focused. If he's not focused, his players are not either. The Gophers' ride ends this year. Of that there is no doubt.

Of course, these are just my opinions, and we all know what opinions are like, seeing how everyone has one.

Can't argue with Lucia's success, now that he has weened the Gopher fans off of their "Minnesota kids" hockey arrogance and recruited North Dakotans and foreigners to carry them to the top.

I will argue with Lucia appearing on local TV to shill Minnesota Mortgage Company, with maroon and gold business colors, and claim that Minnesota Mortgage is Number 1 while he stands near the two NCAA Championship trophies.

Absolutely without class. I cannot believe that the University, or the NCAA, would even allow him to line his own pocket with the trinkets of amatuer success.

Lucia is focused on his own agenda. If Minnesota Mortgage can buy him, he can't be very focused. If he's not focused, his players are not either. The Gophers' ride ends this year. Of that there is no doubt.

Of course, these are just my opinions, and we all know what opinions are like, seeing how everyone has one.

I have no problem with a coach making a little money on the side, but standing by the trophies in the commercial and stating that Minnesota Mortgage is #1 is a little bit on the tacky side.