SiouxSports.com Forum

Wings vs Hawks

GF_siouxfan

Most likely this will be the learning year for the young Chicago team, just like stated in the article when comparisons are drawn to the Oilers first playoffs against the Islanders. Although, I won't count out this Hawks team either. Red Wings goaltending is the key to victory or defeat.

Are you nervous USAHOCKEY?

Go Hawks!

Most likely this will be the learning year for the young Chicago team, just like stated in the article when comparisons are drawn to the Oilers first playoffs against the Islanders. Although, I won't count out this Hawks team either. Red Wings goaltending is the key to victory or defeat.

Go Hawks!

Like I said, if goaltending is the key to Detroit's advance and not their offense and PowerPlay, then Detroit's going to struggle with Chicago.

Despite one of the two predictions I made in the series vs the Ducks not coming true (Osgood would sieve out at least one game), I think it is still possible for him to lay a stinking log on the ice in one of the games vs. the Hawks. The Hawks have speed, great transition, and similar sniping capabilities to Detroit.

I honestly believe that defensive comparisons are a wash if you exclude age. Lidstrom is one of the best in the game, but I've always felt Rafalski is a bit overrated (especially defensively). Seabrook is solid.

Again, goaltending comparisons are bogus because of the type of season Osgood has had. Historically, this area favors Detroit, as one cannot argue the talent of a goaltender that has his name on the Cup 3 times. However, both Khabibulin and Osgood this year have a tendency to occasionally allow goals that peewee goaltenders more often than not make the saves on. Interestingly enough, both do it in similar ways. Khabibulin will be lights out for most of the game up to a point, then go on a mental vacation for a while and get owned. Then he'll get back on track. Most of the time, the same is true with Osgood.

In the playoffs, I think Osgood has been the slightly better of the goaltenders though. Despite this, I'm calling this comparison a wash.

PP favors Detroit heavily.

PK is a wash, as far as I'm concerned.

Offense favors Detroit, but not by as much as you'd think from a Wings fan. I think Kane and Toews are players to be reckoned with. Datsyuk has been quiet lately.

Go Hawks!

If Detroit plays well they should win the series. Better power play, experience, and depth is in Detroit's favor. I think Osgood has been solid all playoffs, as he was last year, so I don't think goaltending is really a problem.

USAHockey has more faith in Osgood than I do (understatement).

I think he's a time bomb.

Luongo was the better goaltender coming into the Hawks/Canucks series and he laid a stinking egg a time or three. I don't think Osgood is going to escape without looking like a fool either.

If the Bruins can't win it all I would love to see the Hawks win, I am so bored with the redwings. If the opposition pops one of them in the face after they have cheaped you they will sit there take it go on the power play and score. Ugh. They have no personality. I will explain there were a few in the media that were bashing the Wings that they don't fight and actually the media had to defend them.

USAHockey has more faith in Osgood than I do (understatement).

I think he's a time bomb.

Luongo was the better goaltender coming into the Hawks/Canucks series and he laid a stinking egg a time or three. I don't think Osgood is going to escape without looking like a fool either.

I honestly don't know how they have won with their goaltending either.

I honestly don't know how they have won with their goaltending either.

It's called puck possesion. A team doesn't need a star (just solid) goaltender to win a championship. I normally don't like to compare college to the NHL, but I never considered the Gopher goaltenders in 02 and 03 to be exceptional, but they had the talent up front and the goaltending held their own and they ended up winning two titles.

It's called puck possesion. A team doesn't need a star (just solid) goaltender to win a championship. I normally don't like to compare college to the NHL, but I never considered the Gopher goaltenders in 02 and 03 to be exceptional, but they had the talent up front and the goaltending held their own and they ended up winning two titles.

I think Goaltending is important and I think Chicago's top line is going to give the Redwings fits and eventually goaltending is going to catch up with

the Redwings. BULIN Wall > Osgood.

Dear Coach Quenville,

Thank you for giving Toews and Kane only 8 minutes and change for the first two periods of play. This really helped lock in our game and keep the matchups in our favor. Your team is obviously a good one, as Khabibulin was spectacular today, but I think the key was allowing us to experience a wonderful game environment without having to worry about two of your top playmakers for most of the game. We hope you consider continuing this trend or perhaps even increasing Toews and Kane's absences from the ice for even longer portions of the game.

Sincerely,

John Wings Fan

Once again, Keep the Wings to less than 3 goals and you'll win. Hawks didn't. Hawks lose.

And seriously, keeping Toews and Kane off the ice for as much as the Hawks did REALLY helped the Wings a lot.

I don't think Q should keep Toews and Kane together vs. the Wings. I thought that for most of the season the best line was Toews, Buff, and Brower. Kane is effective right now when he has time and space and he will get none of that this series.

I don't think Q should keep Toews and Kane together vs. the Wings. I thought that for most of the season the best line was Toews, Buff, and Brower. Kane is effective right now when he has time and space and he will get none of that this series.

I don't care where Q puts Toews and Kane, but if I were a Hawks fan, I'd be promoting Q to put Toews and Kane ON THE ICE MORE.

Anyone see Kane stop back checking on the game winning goal? He had the high man on the 3 on 1 and stopped skating.

I do remember seeing a three on one breakaway that led to the winning goal...

Anyone see Kane stop back checking on the game winning goal? He had the high man on the 3 on 1 and stopped skating.

All I saw was Campbell make a bonehead play with the puck at the blueline with 3 forwards deep. All he had to do was get the puck low, not try a spin-o-rama or whatever he was trying to do. That goal is on Campbell, not Kane.

All I saw was Campbell make a bonehead play with the puck at the blueline with 3 forwards deep. All he had to do was get the puck low, not try a spin-o-rama or whatever he was trying to do. That goal is on Campbell, not Kane.

Kane wasn't deep he was right there at the top of the circle. Awesome rationale, I'm Kane so i'm not gonna back check because my teammate did something stupid who cares the goals not my fault.

• 1 month later...
wasn't sure where to put this but hossa just signed a 12 year deal with the hawks.

Hope they've left some cap space for future signings of their youngsters, when their entry level contracts expire. Seems like a lot of years to tie up cap for one player. He also kind of disappeared in the championship round for Detroit, seemed odd since he went there to win a cup.

I think that's going to be a great fit for both Hossa and Chicago. But you're right...now you have to find money to keep all the youngsters on the Hawks. I thougth they had great chemistry, and if I'm Dale Tallon I'd want to keep as much of that in tact as possible.