SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Sioux Hockey Off-Season Thread

AZSIOUX

I think you see them (VV and Malone) together to start the season as Hak will be looking to develop line chemistry.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like:

VV, Malone and Kristo (I think he is too dynamic not to play right away)

Toews, Gregoire and Trupp

Zajac, Cichy and Hextall

Lamoureaux, Rowney and Knight

D pairings

Genoway and Blood

Marto and Fienhage

Lapoint and MacWilliam

like those overall. especially the 2nd line. hextall could be thrown on top line as well. will be fun to see how it plays out. not bad though

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you see them (VV and Malone) together to start the season as Hak will be looking to develop line chemistry.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see something like:

VV, Malone and Kristo (I think he is too dynamic not to play right away)

Toews, Gregoire and Trupp

Zajac, Cichy and Hextall

Lamoureaux, Rowney and Knight

D pairings

Genoway and Blood

Marto and Fienhage

Lapoint and MacWilliam

I kind of like the look of those but I would switch Cichy with Rowney or Bruneteau to have kind of a grinder/shut-down line of Hextall-Zajac-Rowney or Bruneteau with Lammy, Cichy and Knight as another line. Lammy could fit very nicely on that shut-down line as well but may need to center the fourth line instead.

Also I am wondering if Hextall and Gregoire stay on a line together as they played the last half of the year together with Duncan and played quite well.

I kind of like the look of those but I would switch Cichy with Rowney or Bruneteau to have kind of a grinder/shut-down line of Hextall-Zajac-Rowney or Bruneteau with Lammy, Cichy and Knight as another line. Lammy could fit very nicely on that shut-down line as well but may need to center the fourth line instead.

Also I am wondering if Hextall and Gregoire stay on a line together as they played the last half of the year together with Duncan and played quite well.

I like Cichy Knight Hextall( think this line could put up points as Knight is pretty strong Cichy is a set up man and Hextall can put em home.

and Lammy Zajac Rowney with Bruneteau in there as well

First off - Sica.... it's bad form to measure 14 inches of height... There's 12 inches in a foot. Use proper measuring techniques!

Secondly, I think Bruneteau and Rowney are going to be another Mario Lamoreaux. I have no proof of this. I just have a hunch. I think they will be solid, but not truly offensive players.

Third, my line combos are:

VV, Hextall, Kristo

Toews, Gregoire, Trupp

Malone, Zajac, Cichy

Knight, Lammy, Bruneteau/Rowney/Davidson

Ok, I admit I probably have a few lines that have too many or no centers on them, but otherwise, I think that would be the best makeup.

Defense?

I agree with yzerman19 on the pairings.

I haven't seen them play, so I have no idea who is more gifted or even what they look like on the ice. My impression from all of my internet scouting though is that Bruneteau is more of a smaller, offensive player, and his fighting career (barely survived and almost had to quit the sport) makes me question a comparison to Mario, who's not short of grit. Rowney, on the other hand, may have been able to finish last year, but he did so as a pretty old kid in the AJHL. That profile doesn't lead to a big college scorer very often. I expect him to be a complete player, with plenty of jam; maybe a Darcy Zajac type. But again I've never seen him play.

I haven't seen them play, so I have no idea who is more gifted or even what they look like on the ice. My impression from all of my internet scouting though is that Bruneteau is more of a smaller, offensive player, and his fighting career (barely survived and almost had to quit the sport) makes me question a comparison to Mario, who's not short of grit.

I agree with you on Mario is one tough hombre and was known to throw em in Juniors.

I'm not talking about fighting when I made the comparison. What I see in Bruneteau and Rowney is more of a checking line forward with flair. They're not going to be the ones on that line dropping gloves or agitating, but they are going to be ones that muck it up in the corners and provide some offense to the checking line.

Maybe that makes no sense and there's a great possibility of being wrong. I know next to nothing about Bruneteau and even less about Rowney.

However, that being said, I hope Rowney turns into a Rory McMahon type. Timely goals, grit, and hard work abound.