SiouxSports.com Forum

Northern Sun Athletic Conference

The Walrus

The Northern Sun Athletic conference would now have to rank up there as on of the Top D2 conferences in the Nation. I believe in the last 4-5 years they have 2 Men's Basketball National Titles, 2 Womens Volleyball National Titles, 1 Mens Football National Title, 1 Womens Basketball National Title......

am I correct or missing anymore....?

Is this because of the migration to D1 by some of the region power schools, or have they developed that fast.....? Thoughts....?

The Northern Sun Athletic conference would now have to rank up there as on of the Top D2 conferences in the Nation. I believe in the last 4-5 years they have 2 Men's Basketball National Titles, 2 Womens Volleyball National Titles, 1 Mens Football National Title, 1 Womens Basketball National Title......

Is this because of the migration to D1 by some of the region power schools, or have they developed that fast.....? Thoughts....?

IMO, football success can't be maintained because of all the additional scholarships the Dakota schools have, and the self-imposed ceiling the NSIC has. UMD basically returned all of their team, and added a stud running back who few schools wanted to take a chance on due to his past, and made the most of it. But you can't possibly re-load or sustain national success with so few scholarships and so many FCS schools picking off the best regional talent. Just as Winona State fell back down to earth after a couple of really good teams in the early 2000's, so too will UMD in another year or two.

Not sure about women's basketball, but with Minnesota and several other Big 10 and Big 12 schools picking off the best players, and 60 dI scholarships among the Dakota schools, I suspect you'll see fewer and fewer really good Minnesota players falling through the cracks and ending up at dII schools.

The NSIC has always been pretty good in men's basketball, and will likely continue to be, although the group Winona had for a three or four year stretch was probably just as unusual as UND's group from the early 1990's. In other words, while the NSIC will probably send a team to the Elite 8 most years, I doubt they'll have national championship-caliber teams very often.

Volleyball is probably the sport in which the NSIC will continue to be very strong on a national level.

logic would lead me to believe that those programs who went to d1 were able to do so because of their dominance at the d2 level, which would reasonably lower the bar as far as the requirements to be a dominant d2 program.

then again, i think many of those teams who went to d1 did so because they had one d1 program already and new ncaa requirements would force them to either demote their d1 program or promote all of their d2 programs, such is the case with und.

i would guess it's a combination of both of your observed possibilities. however, i'm only making an educated guess and i certainly do not follow the nsa conference closely enough for one to consider me a reliable resource on this topic. wait a minute, why am i even writing this? i have no idea what i'm talking about...my apologies.

logic would lead me to believe that those programs who went to d1 were able to do so because of their dominance at the d2 level, which would reasonably lower the bar as far as the requirements to be a dominant d2 program.

then again, i think many of those teams who went to d1 did so because they had one d1 program already and new ncaa requirements would force them to either demote their d1 program or promote all of their d2 programs, such is the case with und.

i would guess it's a combination of both of your observed possibilities. however, i'm only making an educated guess and i certainly do not follow the nsa conference closely enough for one to consider me a reliable resource on this topic. wait a minute, why am i even writing this? i have no idea what i'm talking about...my apologies.

That's news to me. Colorado College just dropped football, so maybe your right.

I believe the NSIC was closing in on the NCC in most sports except football and maybe womens bball. I don't think the old NCC would compete in the last years with mens bball with Winona or Vball with Concordia St. Paul. These sports have been stronger for a couple years previous to UND's move. Now with Bemidji's trip to the frozen 4, it looks like a great year for them as a DII conference(granted Bemidji is DI hockey). What I have heard is there will be some more additions to their conference, including Morningside and University of Sioux Falls, with that said, their conference will become tougher to schedule with because of the size of the conference, causing more scheduling difficulties for the Sioux for non conference games. I think the NSIC will become very popular because the local kids will be playing in this conference, be it Northern State University, UMD, or Bemidji State. They are competitive nationwide as a conference, and the locals love to see the local kids do well and the NSIC has done very well with national champions in Vball, womens bball, mens football, and who knows....Bemidji hockey..Yo, Walrus, gotta love the volleyball right? :lol:

I believe the NSIC was closing in on the NCC in most sports except football and maybe womens bball. I don't think the old NCC would compete in the last years with mens bball with Winona or Vball with Concordia St. Paul. These sports have been stronger for a couple years previous to UND's move. Now with Bemidji's trip to the frozen 4, it looks like a great year for them as a DII conference(granted Bemidji is DI hockey). What I have heard is there will be some more additions to their conference, including Morningside and University of Sioux Falls, with that said, their conference will become tougher to schedule with because of the size of the conference, causing more scheduling difficulties for the Sioux for non conference games. I think the NSIC will become very popular because the local kids will be playing in this conference, be it Northern State University, UMD, or Bemidji State. They are competitive nationwide as a conference, and the locals love to see the local kids do well and the NSIC has done very well with national champions in Vball, womens bball, mens football, and who knows....Bemidji hockey..Yo, Walrus, gotta love the volleyball right? :lol:

I totally agree that the NSIC conference was closing the gap, so to speak. I do not remember the NCC having such a 4-5 year run like the NSIC is having now, with the National Titles in Major sports. I will miss the "Local Athlete" particapting at UND, we may have a few, but if we are no going to compete with the "Big Boys and Girls", I think we will see less and less "Local" talent.

Fine line between Wining and Losing, but to make it to the National Title game in the Major sports at the D2 level and then win it, against anywhere from 100 to 300 schools, that is a feather in the NSIC cap.

Bump, Set, Spike....my friend :)

This is news to me too...if that's the case, why don't St. Cloud, UMD, Bemidji, Mankato etc have to either demote hockey or promote their other sports?? Or is hockey an exception? I would say in the case of WBB, the dominance of the Northern Sun has everything to do with the dissolution of the NCC. The National Championship Mavericks are a former NCC team, that in my opinion, would have had a much harder chance of reaching the elite 8 with UND and USD still in their conference, not to mention NDSU and SDSU. Of the teams that advanced to the regional tournament, 3 were former NCC teams. I am not familiar with all of the Northern Sun teams, but the only one I thought I saw was MSU-Moorhead. Definitely still the aftermath of NCC dominance I think.

Which "new NCAA requirements" do you refer to? I'm unfamiliar with any recent changes.

The most recent thing I know of regarding DIII schools playing DI hockey was a couple years ago: There was a resolution allowing those DIIIs playing DI hockey to keep giving scholarships for just DI hockey (see: CC and five other schools) as normally DIII does not give scholarships. However, any DIIIs looking to move to play DI hockey would not be allowed to give scholarships (see: RIT). For RIT to give DI hockey scholarships they'd have to move to DII (see: UMD, SCSU, MSU-M).

CC dropped FB because the administration told CC Athletics they need to cut $8-12 million from the budgets.

There aren't many DIIIs around that region and they were getting killed on travel costs for FB.

CC's solution? See: Western Washington.

CC dropped football because of money, not any NCAA rule.

... why don't St. Cloud, UMD, Bemidji, Mankato etc have to either demote hockey or promote their other sports??

They don't have to change anything.

There is no NCAA DII National Championship so a DII is allowed to play up at the DI level.

CC dropped FB because the administration told CC Athletics they need to cut $8-12 million from the budgets.

There aren't many DIIIs around that region and they were getting killed on travel costs for FB.

CC's solution? See: Western Washington.

CC dropped football because of money, not any NCAA rule.

That, and they're idiots for not deciding to move the rest of their program up to D2 so they're wouldn't be bussing their women's basketball team past several RMAC schools on their way to some other D3 school out in Texas.