SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Conference USA Swimming Championships

star2city

Beginning tomorrow, UND's swimming team participates in the CUSA swimming championship. Although UND swimmers are ineligible for participating in the national meet, interesting nevertheless to see where UND swimmers rank among Houston, Rice, SMU, Hawaii, etc. SMU's swim team is ranked like 17th in the nation. In most of the relays, UND's times going into the meet are competitive within the conference (but don't make national qualification times).

If the swimming program could stay in a Conference like CUSA for swimming, that would be a great boost for the program and recruiting. The Summit, Valley, and Horizon are not exactly powerhouse swimming conferences.

Conference USA Swimming Championships and Invitational

Impressive performance today by North Dakota at the Conference USA Championships.

-Women took 2nd in the 200 yard medley relay

-Men finishish 3rd in the 200 yard medley relay

-UND's Michael Hoenig took 3rd in the 1 meter dive

-The women finished 4th in the 800 yard freestyle relay

-Men grabbed 2nd in the 800 yard freestyle relay

-The Men are 3rd in team rankings through 5 events

Impressive performance today by North Dakota at the Conference USA Championships.

A lot of events to go; so will be interesting to see how UND fares. SMU's seed times make it the class of the field.

2009 C-USA Women's Champs & C-USA Men's Inv - 2/25/2009 to 2/28/2009

Team Rankings - Through Event 5

Women - Team Scores

Place School Points

============================================================​=======

1 Southern Methodist University SMU 80

2 Rice University RICE 66

3 University of North Dakota UND 64

4 University of Houston UH 62

5 East Carolina University ECU 56

6 Marshall University MAR 52

7 University Northern Colorado UNCO 48

8 California State U Bakersfield CSUB 22

Men - Team Scores

Place School Points

============================================================​=======

1 Southern Methodist University SMU 114

2 University of Hawaii HAW 112

3 University of Dakota UND* 81

4 East Carolina University ECU 72

5 California State U Bakersfield CSUB* 56

With a few more years of DI recruiting, UND would have the potential to challenge for 2nd in CUSA.

CUSA Women - after three days

SMU 599.5 points.

Houston 419

Rice 's 402

East Carolina 354.5

North Dakota 278

Marshall 142.

Cal State Bakersfield 122

Northern Colorado 111

CUSA Men - after three days

SMU 619 points

Hawai'i 506.5

East Carolina 358

North Dakota 302

Cal State Bakersfield 282.5

What is also interesting is that UND is above Bakersfield, who was a serious power at the DII level. Coach Sampaio has done a great job.

While there is very little chance, I'd love to see UND do everything possible to get Dagny Knutson. She would put the program on the map and could potentially be the greatest athlete to ever dawn Sioux green. There are very few North Dakotans would can be considered very realistic Olympic gold medal threats and Knutson is one of them. It would be great to keep her at home. Having here would also likely really help international recruiting, where we have done quite well in the past.

Q&A with Knutson

What is also interesting is that UND is above Bakersfield, who was a serious power at the DII level. Coach Sampaio has done a great job.

Women – Final Team Rankings

1. Southern Methodist University – 857.5

2. University of Houston – 623

3. Rice University – 595

4. East Carolina University – 532.5

5. University of North Dakota 409

6. Marshall University – 225

7. California State University – Bakersfield – 184

8. University of Northern Colorado - 147

Men – Final Team Rankings

1. Southern Methodist University – 921

2. University of Hawaii – 769

3. East Carolina University – 542

4. University of North Dakota – 442

5. California State University – Bakersfield - 421

UND actually set a CUSA record:

Daniel Moraes (Jr., Salvador, Brazil) set a meet record while swimming his way to a first place finish in the 200 freestyle with his winning time of 1:37.26, which also broke the previous conference record as well as the two-day-old UND school record.

While there is very little chance, I'd love to see UND do everything possible to get Dagny Knutson. She would put the program on the map and could potentially be the greatest athlete to ever dawn Sioux green. There are very few North Dakotans would can be considered very realistic Olympic gold medal threats and Knutson is one of them. It would be great to keep her at home. Having here would also likely really help international recruiting, where we have done quite well in the past.

Q&A with Knutson

From Dagny response, would guess a school like Stanford would be at the top of her list:

5.) What are some colleges you are looking at and what's a requirement a school must have for you to seriously consider it?

Dagny: I've definitely been thinking about college a lot. For now, I'm keeping my options open. I hope to have more decisions made after this summer, depending on how I swim. What do I look for in a college? Well, academics, first of all. I'm looking for someplace that has a strong swimming and dry-land program. Also, I think I'm a swimmer that needs attention. I want to make sure that I'm getting 100 percent of what I need (laughs) to go faster.

Another Minot native, Matt Lowe, is a s potential Olympian swimmer at Texas, so there may be connections elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

UND Swimming signs Canadian Olympic hopeful

Medon’s personal bests don’t seem to have a long shelf life, as she shattered five of her own records and three MUSAC records last month alone. Medon’s blazing times also put her on pace to achieve her personal goal, representing Canada in the pool at the 2012 Olympics in London.

“You have to make certain standards to qualify for the Olympic trials, and I qualified for three more events in the last meet,” said Medon. “Now I can try and qualify for the Olympics in several events. The qualifiers are typically in April during the year of the Olympics. If you win those, you race at the Olympics.”

It seems all that hard work is paying off, as Medon recently accepted a scholarship to attend the University of North Dakota and to compete with their swim team in NCAA Division I.

“I chose some schools I liked and my coach Mark (Shivers) helped me contact them,” said Medon. “The coach from North Dakota e-mailed back and asked if I wanted to come down to the school (in Grand Forks, ND) and check it out. I went there for a weekend and I loved it.”

Getting a big name that could draw additional international Olympic hopefuls would be a wise investment. There is a ton of potential media coverage that can come from it. I think virtually every time Kirsty Coventry was mentioned during the Beijing games, so was the fact that she went to Auburn. Recruiting Canadians also makes a lot of sense, as it's a huge untapped reservoir for students as well. Also, the weather is much less a detriment.

• 2 weeks later...

The three weeks I swam for Mavi, I didn't like it, but perhaps that's why I was cut. Anyways, I think it's a blow to the program losing Mavi. He was able to carry it into the power (if you'd call it that) that it was at the DII level taking many swimmers to nationals. Mavi was a good recruiter for international swimmers. I heard it was going to be Mavi or Brian leaving. I'm glad Brian is still there, he's a good coach, from what I know. I just hope that whomever replaces Mavi is able to get some good recruits and will play a pivitol role in how the team shapes up and transitions into the DI swimming world. There is no reason UND can't be a serious contendor, even competing with Minnesota and Wisconsin.