SiouxSports.com Forum

Could Grand Forks support a Jr Hockey Team

star2city

A JR Hockey Team in GF  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Would GF support a JR hockey team?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Would the Alerus be a decent venue?

• Yes
    • No

Alerus would be way to big and put the alerus more in the black.. People already around here get there hockey fix with GFRR GFC and of course UND.

Some of the stands are movable, so it is possible to have seating directly at the boards and directly behind the goaltenders. Isn't the problem the ice-making capability? (although the Alerus bid on the World Curling Championships too).

If somehow junior teams would have territorial rights to local high schools, that would increase interest.

On a side note: if UND had to change their name, could one imagine the Herald et. al. uproar if a GF JR team took the name "Fighting Sioux".

There just isn't enough people. There is an USHL team in Fargo, unless Grand Forks is trying to get a WHL team.

I don't see it happening.

I don't think I could stomach buying a ticket for any Major Junior team in any Major Junior league. Major Junior is the enemy of NCAA Hockey. If the bean counters that run the CHL had their way, college hockey would vanish from the continent. The best part of Jonathan Toews coming here was the fact that he chose college hockey over Major Junior.

To answer the question, I do not think a junior team could survive in Grand Forks. UND just sucks all the air out of the room and the high school teams take up what's left.

I don't think I could stomach buying a ticket for any Major Junior team in any Major Junior league. Major Junior is the enemy of NCAA Hockey. If the bean counters that run the CHL had their way, college hockey would vanish from the continent. The best part of Jonathan Toews coming here was the fact that he chose college hockey over Major Junior.

To answer the question, I do not think a junior team could survive in Grand Forks. UND just sucks all the air out of the room and the high school teams take up what's left.

I saw a game in the rose garden in Portland one time between Seattle and Portland and it was good game.

I saw a game in the rose garden in Portland one time between Seattle and Portland and it was good game.

Goon, I don't doubt there is some good hockey played in Major Junior. The point is that when you purchase a ticket to a CHL game, you are supporting people that hate the college game and would love to see it go down the tubes so they can have every big-time prospect in the sport. I'm not judging you or anything like that, but I don't think Major Junior fans would "waste" their time on a college hockey game because a lot of them like to turn their noses up at anything that isn't Major Junior or that doesn't originate in Canada. It probably pains CBC analysts to have to acknowledge that some NHL stars went the college route instead of their precious CHL Major Junior brand and I must admit to a perverse pleasure in watching them squirm. The more Parises, Zajacs, Oshies and Toews we can get into the big leagues, the better.

My 2 cents.

If somehow junior teams would have territorial rights to local high schools, that would increase interest.

From what I understand the USHL doesn't do territorial rights anymore.

What's going to keep the force afloat is the suite revenue at the UP Center. IMO, there are a lot of Suite holders at the ralph that are also suite holders at the UP Center. After watching hockey at The Ralph for the past 6+ years who's going to want to watch jr. hockey in the Alerus? Yuck!

From what I understand the USHL doesn't do territorial rights anymore.

What's going to keep the force afloat is the suite revenue at the UP Center. IMO, there are a lot of Suite holders at the ralph that are also suite holders at the UP Center. After watching hockey at The Ralph for the past 6+ years who's going to want to watch jr. hockey in the Alerus? Yuck!

Agreed. The only way it could work in GF is if there are some very strong Sioux ruits tied to the program. And even then, it'd be a tough road.