SiouxSports.com Forum

Captains? Sweaters?

The Sicatoka

I'm tired of reading " Well I don't know what actually happened in the lockerroom", but...

Speez,

I think that's just a way of saying that we don't know these kids off the ice. We don't know their perosnalities so picking a C or A based off of what we hear and what we see on the ice isn't the whole story. A lot of captains, in any sport, happen to be guys that either teammates look towards or the coach likes their attitude. It's a disclaimer of not knowing the whole story but venturing an opinion anyways, and not meant as a dig (at least not from me).

To the the comment that, "Ryan couldn't even convince his brother to stay another year,"  I couldn't believe I read that .

Speez,

That was my comment, and it was totally tongue-in-cheek. That's why I put '(jk)', meaning just kidding, immediately after it. Maybe I should have used a smiley to make it more clear.

There are some kids that leave school to play in the minors while they still have plenty to learn in the college game, IMHO. I think that it is a shame for some of these kids to miss out on their last years of the college experience just to play buried in the minors, but if the money's right, it's hard to justify staying. It only made sense for David Hale to go. He had nothing left to learn at the NCAA level. He has a realistic shot of making the NHL in his first year of pro hockey. Also, with his health issues the last couple of years, there was the chance that he may never be given the opportunity to sign a pro contract again. I would have loved to have David playing for the Sioux again this year, but he definitely made the right choice. I thought he would be back with UND next year just because I thought that the Devils would want him to prove that his health problems were behind him before signing him.

Speez,

That was my comment, and it was totally tongue-in-cheek. That's why I put '(jk)', meaning just kidding, immediately after it. Maybe I should have used a smiley to make it more clear.

Damstrait,

Sorry that I didn't catch the sarcasm in your post. I'm so used to seeing those damn smiley things all over the place I just missed it. It didn't help that jk is a regular poster on this board & I had a few relaxation cool ones

No problem Speez. FWIW, your boy is one of the unsung heroes of the Fighting Sioux hockey program. I love guys that give it their all, and although I won't prentend to speak for him, I think Coach Blais feels the same way. Physical errors are understandable, mental errors are inexcusable. If anything could sum up University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux hockey, I think that'd be it.

Peter Armbrust's stats during the 2000 season: 43 1 10 11 33 - that is 11 points on the year.

He was the captain, the result - national championship number 7.

Regardless of whoever is captain

...The South Carolina Stingrays already have dibs on whoever it is when the Sioux win their next NCAA title..

It's worked out pretty well for us..

We got Adam Calder, then We Got Peter Armbrust (Man, He makes Penalties EVAPORATE!! :D )

...Can't say that I minded seeing Brad Williamson or Aaron Schneekloth play here, either

Gonna have to go and disagree with having a goalie as captain. Never a great idea. I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but I do believe that the goalie is restricted as to where he can go during the game. Doesn't work very well if you have to talk to an official about a penalty or something.

C- Hale

A- Lundbohm

A- Schneider

I'm pretty sure Panzer had the "C" all year. Can't remember who had the "A's" or if maybe Karl had the other "C" for part of the year. Bayda, maybe.

Panzer did have the C all year.. however goehring also started out with a C

I don't think Bayda had an A his sophomore year did he?

Bryan Lundbohm had an A and maybe dorey? not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the October 4 GF Herald:

Schneider, a junior defenseman, will be joined by senior forwards David Lundbohm and Ryan Hale, voted as assistant captains. "It's like talent. Leadership comes with age - or you don't even have it," Blais said.

If this were a contest where you get 3 points for picking the captain and one point for naming the name of an alternate, I'd have to say "sioux fan in phoenix" won. They may have picked an "A" incorrectly, but they got the big three points for picking Schneider with a "C" and a point for Hale with an "A" for four points.

"Siouxhockey03" would come in second with 3 points: right three names, wrong order.

"redwing77" gets 2.5 points for that "Lundbohm or Parise" cop-out. :angry:

Gonna have to go and disagree with having a goalie as captain. Never a great idea. I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly, but I do believe that the goalie is restricted as to where he can go during the game. Doesn't work very well if you have to talk to an official about a penalty or something.

C- Hale

A- Lundbohm

A- Schneider

I had the players right. Just needed to swith Hale and Schneider.

Blah. It was no cop out. Lundbohm derserves it, but Parise may get it because of his offensive output, his tenacity, and his popularity at the time. I can't believe I placed behind a Sioux fan from a desert :)

There should be at least one senior player with a letter (unless he's a constant scratch like Lienweber).

I think Schneider showed what it took to be a leader last night, but I still question why Hale didn't remain captain. Yeah, he had a poor year last year (God, those breakaways he had killed me!), but if the shoe fit, I guess they bought a new pair.

I think Schneider showed what it took to be a leader last night, but I still question why Hale didn't remain captain. Yeah, he had a poor year last year (God, those breakaways he had killed me!), but if the shoe fit, I guess they bought a new pair.

I don't think this needs to be looked at as a demotion for Ryan H. As the composition of the team changes from year-to-year, different leadership styles may be more appropriate. Maybe Andy S. has a leadership style that resonates better with this year's team, just as Ryan's may have been better suited to last year's team. Ryan H. is still after all wearing an "A", so it's not like he's being totally cast aside. Congrats to all three. I'm sure they'll all agree that it's a great honor to wear a letter on a Sioux hockey sweater, whether that letter is a "C" or an "A".