SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota v. South Dakota

bincitysioux

logo_siouxnew.gif

Overall Record: 10-6

Last Action: 82-59 win over Mayville St.

North Dakota Website

North Dakota Schedule

North Dakota Stats

North Dakota Video/Audio

KSNR Audio--No registration required

athletic-logo.gif

Overall Record: 15-5

Last Action: 76-66 win over Palm Beach Atlantic

South Dakota Website

South Dakota Schedule

South Dakota Stats

South Dakota Audio--No registration required

South Dakota Game Notes

KEY PLAYERS

-Tyler Cain: 6'8" Jr. Forward, 15 ppg, 11.2 rpg

-Dylan Grimsley: 6'6" Sr. G/F, 13.2 ppg, 6 rpg

-Jesse Becker: 5'11" Sr. Guard, 13.2 ppg, 3.3 apg

-South Dakota has 5 players averaging double figures in scoring

-USD's starting frontcourt stands 6'6", 6'8", and 6'11" respectively

-The Coyotes have faced 4 established DI teams this season, picking up a win against University of New Orleans (7-9, 3-4 Sun Belt Conference)

-South Dakota carries a 12 game win streak into this weekend's game

-Tyler Cain leads the Great West in rebounding and is 7th in scoring

-UND & USD have played 3 common opponents thus far: Southwest Minnesota (won by 4), Mayville (won by 36), Valley City (won by 27)

I'm not big on moral victories by any means, but I am pleased that UND appeared to be far more competitive in Vermillion than last week in Grand Forks. Let's be honest--USD is considerably more talented than we are this year, and that advantage was increased when they didn't red-shirt their top recruit, while we are red-shirting all of our freshmen. I have a feeling things may even out a bit the next couple of seasons, but obviously time will tell.

I know this might not be big news for most of those reading along but there is a real disconnect between the Sioux Fans and the Mens team. There were a nice handfull of UND fans in Vermillion really getting into the womens game but I heard only one or two fans cheering for the men for the whole game. As good of a University that you have in Grand Forks you really need to support your men a bit better. I talked to the guy that was waiving the Sioux flag during the women's game and was complimenting him on cheering for the mens team. It looks like most of the fans were halfway back up to Grand Forks by the time the Mens team got out of town. The excitement level was alot better during the Gulseth/Gardner era but this Sioux team never gave up and made the Yotes sweat it out down the stretch.

I know this might not be big news for most of those reading along but there is a real disconnect between the Sioux Fans and the Mens team. There were a nice handfull of UND fans in Vermillion really getting into the womens game but I heard only one or two fans cheering for the men for the whole game. As good of a University that you have in Grand Forks you really need to support your men a bit better. I talked to the guy that was waiving the Sioux flag during the women's game and was complimenting him on cheering for the mens team. It looks like most of the fans were halfway back up to Grand Forks by the time the Mens team got out of town. The excitement level was alot better during the Gulseth/Gardner era but this Sioux team never gave up and made the Yotes sweat it out down the stretch.

I appreciate your frank comments and couldn't agree with you more!

Honestly, I'm ashamed of some of the people who consider themselves UND sports fans. Many say their fans of UND, but really their only really fans of football, or hockey, or women's basketball. I love cheering for all our teams-win, lose or draw(I believe that used be an old game show on TV) but sadly that just isn't the case with most people. Even when the Sioux men win, people will say to me..."well look who they were playing" "or they didn't win by enough" good grief, some people in this world I believe refuse to be satisfied with anything, and whats really sad is that they take pleasure in it and are happy about that character trait. Even though I couldn't get to Vermillon, I watched and listened to both games, and was glued to it to the very end, granted I was a little woozy after that dismal 1st half by the men, but was very proud of their second half performance.

I think if the South Dakota men were in D2, this year I would think they could have very well won a national championship--if I was a coach, fan, or player... I would be a little POh'd because this season of transition may have taken away a national title.

Honestly, I'm ashamed of some of the people who consider themselves UND sports fans. Many say their fans of UND, but really their only really fans of football, or hockey, or women's basketball. I love cheering for all our teams-win, lose or draw(I believe that used be an old game show on TV) but sadly that just isn't the case with most people. Even when the Sioux men win, people will say to me..."well look who they were playing" "or they didn't win by enough" good grief, some people in this world I believe refuse to be satisfied with anything, and whats really sad is that they take pleasure in it and are happy about that character trait. Even though I couldn't get to Vermillon, I watched and listened to both games, and was glued to it to the very end, granted I was a little woozy after that dismal 1st half by the men, but was very proud of their second half performance.

I think if the South Dakota men were in D2, this year I would think they could have very well won a national championship--if I was a coach, fan, or player... I would be a little POh'd because this season of transition may have taken away a national title.

Green Team, I agree with your assessment of the USD men's club. They are very solid this year with all the ingredients of a national contender but UND is not that far off. Jones has done a nice job assembling some very talented players. The problem I see with the program and the general apathy of the fans can directly be attributed to the former coach, Rich Glas. He decided at some point to go the juco route instead of recruiting high school players that would come in and be in the program for 4, possibly 5 yrs with a redshirt. I know of a point guard to the south that just scored 31 pts. vs. UND and as The GF Herald stated always seems to scorch the Sioux was told by Glas that he wasn't big and good enough. After being named 1st team All-Metro in the Mpls. area back in 2004 and whose parents are native North Dakotans, Becker was then contacted by USD and jumped at the opportunity. This is probably just one example of Glas not doing his job on the recruiting trail and missing out on several quality high school players. I think things will turn around up there sooner than later with some solid guys returning(Mertens and Bledsoe) and a excellent group of redshirts in place for the next 4 yrs. It is very sad to see all of the fans leave the gym after the women's game. Good luck.

Green Team, I agree with your assessment of the USD men's club. They are very solid this year with all the ingredients of a national contender but UND is not that far off. Jones has done a nice job assembling some very talented players. The problem I see with the program and the general apathy of the fans can directly be attributed to the former coach, Rich Glas. He decided at some point to go the juco route instead of recruiting high school players that would come in and be in the program for 4, possibly 5 yrs with a redshirt. I know of a point guard to the south that just scored 31 pts. vs. UND and as The GF Herald stated always seems to scorch the Sioux was told by Glas that he wasn't big and good enough. After being named 1st team All-Metro in the Mpls. area back in 2004 and whose parents are native North Dakotans, Becker was then contacted by USD and jumped at the opportunity. This is probably just one example of Glas not doing his job on the recruiting trail and missing out on several quality high school players. I think things will turn around up there sooner than later with some solid guys returning(Mertens and Bledsoe) and a excellent group of redshirts in place for the next 4 yrs. It is very sad to see all of the fans leave the gym after the women's game. Good luck.

I'm looking forward to see what the Sioux look like next year.