SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs USA UNDER 18 TEAM

AZSIOUX

Sioux2.jpg

The Sioux come into this weeks exhibition game vs US Under 18 Team on a very high note winners of the last 4 games and a sweep of SCSU this last weekend which moved them up 3 spots in the WCHA standings and from being out of the pairwise to #21. This will be a nice way to keep fresh heading into the Great Lakes Holiday Tourney facing Michigan State then either Michigan or Michigan Tech on Dec 27-28. STAY HEALTHY. Team USA features stand out Sioux defensemen recruit Nick Mattson. Mattson has 2-3=5 points in 25 games this season so far. Myabe if there are any students in the crowd that they can give Nick a nice welcome to his future home arena. USA also features standout forward and expected high first round draft pick next year in Jeremy Morin who has mentioned UND as one of his final college choices. From reading on him he seems to be headed to major juniors instead of college but I guess you never know. He leads the team with 15 goals along with 5 assists. This under 18 team plays a hell of a schedule versus top tier D-1 schoosl throughout the season. Team USA plays Michigan State Tuesday before heading to Grand Forks for the game on Friday

COMMON OPPENENTS THAT THE SIOUX WILL PLAY OR HAVE PLAYED - they beat UAA 4-3 - they lost to MICHIGAN TECH 4-3 - they tied CORNELL 3-3 - they beat HARVARD 4-0

The Star Tribune did a 5 part story on Sioux recruit Nick Mattson this last year

PART 1 - MATTSON

PART 2 - MATTSON

PART 3 - MATTSON

PART 4 - MATTSON

PART 5 - MATTSON

WCHA STANDINGS

und.gif

Overall Record: 9-8-1 (.528)

WCHA: 6-5-1, 13 points

Home: 5-3-0

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict that DaveK will get his wish.

Walski gets the start.

Actually, I wouldn't even play BE. Give him a night off. Have Walski play the first half and Harrington the last half.

I predict a win.

i play 1 goalie each period. keep BE semi sharp with the break before the mich tourney. hope we see harrington. this usa team is damn good and basically a traveling college recruit all star team looking at where all these players will be heading in the near future. good exhibition test for sure

i play 1 goalie each period. keep BE semi sharp with the break before the mich tourney. hope we see harrington. this usa team is damn good and basically a traveling college recruit all star team looking at where all these players will be heading in the near future. good exhibition test for sure

But many will be missing. I don't have a count, but surely Cam Fowler and Jeremy Morin.

Hi all! new to the forum

I am a huge sioux fan from the midwest

Speaking of Morin being at the Ralph playing against the sioux...maybe he will decide he wants to go here??

Anyone know our chances of landing him??

welcome to the board!!

morin has narrowed his colleges down to 3 i think with BC and i forget the other but all signs point to him to go p;lay with kitchener in major juniors but i guess who knows. he would be a big time recruit but i would guess he gpes major juniors. his cousin and brother did play college though. others may have more info on him but thats what ive read around the web. there are some articles on this board in the potential recruits thread as well

welcome to the board!!

morin has narrowed his colleges down to 3 i think with BC and i forget the other but all signs point to him to go p;lay with kitchener in major juniors but i guess who knows. he would be a big time recruit but i would guess he gpes major juniors. his cousin and brother did play college though. others may have more info on him but thats what ive read around the web. there are some articles on this board in the potential recruits thread as well

I agree. I'm not quite sure why Morin hasn't already bolted for MJ yet, but he is definitely a long shot at the NCAA.

You never know, though.

who gives a rip about this game. it means nothing absolutely nothing-the only thing that can come from exhibitions is our players getting hurt.

Hopefully, it means we impress some of the U-18 players with our arena and program. Also, we hope it means a bigger check from the Ralph to UND at the end of the season.

Regardless of if it means something in the standings, this exhibition game is good for both UND and the U-18 team on multiple levels. It brings in money, it gives some of UND players more time on the ice to develop for games that do go towards the standings, it gives the U-18 team a game against a storied D1 program and more exposure to recruiters from not only UND but other schools. It also gives potential recruits another trip to UND, which may or may not sway their decision to come here. It also gives Hak and company another look at some recruits that they may or may not have looked at already. Why waste a weekend traveling to see the U-18 team when they were going to come here in December anyways. All in all, its great for both programs, even if some players get hurt. If I am not mistaken, injuries also occur during practice, so by some of your logic, UND should not practice either, just in case someone gets hurt!

Regardless of if it means something in the standings, this exhibition game is good for both UND and the U-18 team on multiple levels. It brings in money, it gives some of UND players more time on the ice to develop for games that do go towards the standings, it gives the U-18 team a game against a storied D1 program and more exposure to recruiters from not only UND but other schools. It also gives potential recruits another trip to UND, which may or may not sway their decision to come here. It also gives Hak and company another look at some recruits that they may or may not have looked at already. Why waste a weekend traveling to see the U-18 team when they were going to come here in December anyways. All in all, its great for both programs, even if some players get hurt. If I am not mistaken, injuries also occur during practice, so by some of your logic, UND should not practice either, just in case someone gets hurt!

Exactly!

who gives a rip about this game. it means nothing absolutely nothing-the only thing that can come from exhibitions is our players getting hurt.

its to keep sharp vs a very good team that will give the sioux a hell of a challenge vs a team thats beat a few teams that the sioux have beaten or loss to. i understand on the injury front but you cant think that way especially players and coaches. hak wouldnt schedule it if he didnt think it would be beneficial but i hear ya......most of these kids are already commited with the exception of a handful. stay healthy and keep sharp. injuries can happen in any game, vs manitoba which is a EXH, wcha or whenever. heck thay can happen in practice. go sioux

Hopefully, it means we impress some of the U-18 players with our arena and program. Also, we hope it means a bigger check from the Ralph to UND at the end of the season.

There are only 5 players on this team that aren't committed to play somewhere and we don't have much of a chance to land Morin.

You're limited on how many recruiting trips you can offer to a player, plus I doubt you're going to get everyone you want to visit to visit.

Nearly all of the kids on the team have committed. The few that have not are likely to play MJ or are not top recruits. I just looked and only 5 players are not committed.

I was looking at the stats and Mattson has 0 penalty minutes. How does a defenseman play 25 games and not get a single penalty?

Morin would be a huge pick up but like everyone else says he is likely to play MJ. His style of play appears to be better suited for MJ's anyway (he has 70 pim's so far, next closest on his team has 46). Even if he plays college he will likely stay out East. He is from NY and I believe that is his brother on Harvard.

I believe a trip like this one opened Mike Cichy's eyes. It cannot hurt.

of course it can for anyone non commited but liek stated most all of these players have verbaled to a top ncaa school and the remains are likely heading for major juiors. either way its gona be a very tough game for the sioux

Even if players are already verbally committed; it doesn't mean they won't change their mind. Not saying it's a likely possibility, but wasn't Gregoire originally going to Denver?

All in all, I think it's a nice way to keep the boys sharp, while giving them slightly less to worry about (since it's exhibition) during finals week.