SIOUX @ UMD BULLDOGS

AZSIOUX

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where's the offensive spark??

Boy the Sioux D looked awesome tonight! Minus that last goal that UMD got. If Lapointe doesn't high stick it, it goes over the net and the Sioux come away with a victory! ARGH, so disappointing, but it is a tie to say the least!

WTF with all of the penalties too?!? I swear to god Sheperd ranks up there with Don Adams as the two most horses*#@ referees in the WCHA. I don't know about you guys, but it seemed like they were making a lot of makeup calls?!? (One for UND, okay, now one for UMD)

Hopefully the guys can regroup and pull out that big "W" tomorrow night!!!

GO SIOUX!!!

As one of the loudest voices of dissent regarding the quality (aka the lack therein of) in WCHA officiating, I'd like to comment on this from a viewpoint of someone who spent most of the game away from the computer, in an airport, and on an airplane (I'm now in Chicago).

Makeup calls are part of the PapaSmurf Shepherd MO. The belief is, among others, that two wrongs make a right and if the penalty totals for both sides are relatively equal (+/- number is arbitrary and somewhat situational) then the game was called fairly.

Believe it or not, this is one area where there has been SOME improvement. I remember a time when UND was so dominant that this would actually become a sliding scale based, as it seemed to most observers, upon the inequity among opponents. In other words, the worse one team was compared to the other, the more the dominant team can expect to spend time on the penalty kill. It would provide the holy tenant "parity" by force rather than by quality.

Nowadays, it's not so bad.

Still, that's what it comes down to in my conspiratorial mindset. Oh, and in case anyone wants to disclaim it, the #1 Sioux radio homer TH seems to believe in that too with his numerous over the air "Well, you can bet who the next penalty will be against." Ok, the fact that he's a homer doesn't really lend credibility to the accusation... but I can still claim it! :silly:

And yeah, right now the Gophers are better than the Sioux. Hate them if you'd like, it's not all that much of a surprise. The question is: Will they continue to dominate? Right now, Schroeder (sp?) is positively outstanding. (by the way, how come it is never the one you expect to dominate that dominates? Wasn't Turris expected to dominate and Bachman gets the award? Not really a good example as UW is where offense goes to die but...)

(by the way, how come it is never the one you expect to dominate that dominates? Wasn't Turris expected to dominate and Bachman gets the award? Not really a good example as UW is where offense goes to die but...)

Do you mean he wasn't expected to dominate? I think he was the one that everyone thought should dominate out of any freshman in the nation. I will admit there's lots of good freshmen in the WCHA though, hard to pick a best one.

5-2 Final, finally not a Friday tie.

Laughing at ties is unacceptable apparently. I'll laugh at any tie, I think they are terrible.

Ties are terrible, but shootouts suck. Hmmm.. I guess the only alternative is unlimited OT.

Heh.. How about first OT is 4 on 4, second OT is 3 on 3, and third OT is 6 on 6 (Empty nets on both ends). That would be awesome. Quick, but awesome. :silly:

No... that's stupid, but it's outlandish and I posted it anyways. :D

Do you mean he wasn't expected to dominate? I think he was the one that everyone thought should dominate out of any freshman in the nation. I will admit there's lots of good freshmen in the WCHA though, hard to pick a best one.

5-2 Final, finally not a Friday tie.

I heard the same thing about Howe (UMN), Gregoire (UND), Skille (UW)....

Heck, I heard great things about Erstad and now he's DIII bound.

I heard the same thing about Howe (UMN), Gregoire (UND), Skille (UW)....

Heck, I heard great things about Erstad and now he's DIII bound.

For whatever its worth, before the season he was listed as the top recruit and is a top 5 prospect for next years draft. And you cant say Gregoire has been any type of disappointment, he's been great it sounds like.

To inconsistent for my liking.They did find a goalie though in Eidsness.He just needs some goal support and 2 goals a game aint gonna do it.

Yeah no kidding. There just is no offensive spark so far this year. They look like a hell of a team, but they need to mesh (grow some chemistry) between the players.

For whatever its worth, before the season he was listed as the top recruit and is a top 5 prospect for next years draft. And you cant say Gregoire has been any type of disappointment, he's been great it sounds like.

You can add Wheeler to that list too (though now he's actually showing why he was a first rounder in Boston).

And I didn't say Gregoire was a disappointment, but right now... I don't see Gregoire as Rookie of the Year.

By the way, the Calder Trophy in the NHL was, according to the NHL Network, a fight between Turris and Stampkos preseason. Turris just scored his first goal a few days ago and Stampkos isn't even an everyday player. There's even rumors that there is pressure to send Stampkos back to Major Juniors. Not busts by a long shot, but it demonstrates just how unpredictable the game can be.

I agree with you Siouxthru.... Anderson, in my opinion, is a HORRIBLE ref!... He is about as bad as Schmidt... There were quite alot of areas in the game that should not have been called or should been called. For example, it was pretty obvious that Alex Stalox was acting when he went down. However, there was a Bulldog player who jumped into the air and took out Duncan. None the less, I would rather take the tie and 1 point way more than a Loss.

I feel pretty confident going into tomorrows game. I think we will attach hard and that we are the better team and should get out with the W.

You can add Wheeler to that list too (though now he's actually showing why he was a first rounder in Boston).

And I didn't say Gregoire was a disappointment, but right now... I don't see Gregoire as Rookie of the Year.

By the way, the Calder Trophy in the NHL was, according to the NHL Network, a fight between Turris and Stampkos preseason. Turris just scored his first goal a few days ago and Stampkos isn't even an everyday player. There's even rumors that there is pressure to send Stampkos back to Major Juniors. Not busts by a long shot, but it demonstrates just how unpredictable the game can be.

We were just god awful last year, regardless of who we have. And I feel like Wheeler was playing out of position and wasn't being used well at all. Schroeder, on the other hand, is being used as a guy who moves the puck around and gets a lot of assists, which is exactly how he should be. It's not hard when you have Stoa and Barriball either :/

About Gregoire...I don't see why not, who else?

I agree with you Siouxthru.... Anderson, in my opinion, is a HORRIBLE ref!... He is about as bad as Schmidt... There were quite alot of areas in the game that should not have been called or should been called. For example, it was pretty obvious that Alex Stalox was acting when he went down. However, there was a Bulldog player who jumped into the air and took out Duncan. None the less, I would rather take the tie and 1 point way more than a Loss.

I feel pretty confident going into tomorrows game. I think we will attach hard and that we are the better team and should get out with the W.

I'm not one to point and call diving on a goaltender. Every goaltender does it in DI. It's ingrained on them simply because, for a LONG while, goaltender interference was only called if it was so absolutely obvious that not calling it would mean sanctions against the official. In other words, running the goaltender was, for all intents and purposes, legal. When that happens, players tend to take matters into their own hands.

Remember, for the first half of JPar's first year as starter, he was run at least once a game and there were NO CALLS. Sorry, but goaltenders will start diving merely to show the officials that goaltender interference is not legal.

ERGO: Pointing at Stalock isn't really kosher. JPar did it. JPL did it. I'm sure most goaltenders have been taught to do it at one point (whether they do or not is up to them). Heck, Hasek made an artform out of it.

P.S. Anderson is bad for situational officiating. However, Adam is still the worst. Bad calls happen, but safety concerns always trump bad calls. Adam is an unsafe official. Ergo, he's the worst official.

Need to let it go and move onto tommorrow nite.It's over and done.

Pretty sure my "letting it go, or not letting it go" won't affect the outcome of the game, neither tonight or tomorrow night, but I sure wouldn't mind if the officials knew the rules of the game they are governing.

I'm not one to point and call diving on a goaltender. Every goaltender does it in DI. It's ingrained on them simply because, for a LONG while, goaltender interference was only called if it was so absolutely obvious that not calling it would mean sanctions against the official. In other words, running the goaltender was, for all intents and purposes, legal. When that happens, players tend to take matters into their own hands.

Remember, for the first half of JPar's first year as starter, he was run at least once a game and there were NO CALLS. Sorry, but goaltenders will start diving merely to show the officials that goaltender interference is not legal.

ERGO: Pointing at Stalock isn't really kosher. JPar did it. JPL did it. I'm sure most goaltenders have been taught to do it at one point (whether they do or not is up to them). Heck, Hasek made an artform out of it.

P.S. Anderson is bad for situational officiating. However, Adam is still the worst. Bad calls happen, but safety concerns always trump bad calls. Adam is an unsafe official. Ergo, he's the worst official.

I agree with what your saying, but if you look at the replay Hextall isnt even in the crease. He is skating along the side and Stalock pretty much reaches out and grabs him. And not to mention that Hextall was a good 5 feet past him when he flopped. I know all goalies flop but in my opinion he took it to another level there and Shepard fell for it.

I agree with what your saying, but if you look at the replay Hextall isnt even in the crease. He is skating along the side and Stalock pretty much reaches out and grabs him. And not to mention that Hextall was a good 5 feet past him when he flopped. I know all goalies flop but in my opinion he took it to another level there and Shepard fell for it.

I agree. I thought that Stalock should have gotten an interference or hooking penalty. Looked to me like he had his stick on Hextall to slow him up around the net.

There is only one penalty that is more legal than Goaltender Interference: Diving.

Sorry folks, you are wasting your breath. Diving is legal in the WCHA. I can remember only ONE diving call that wasn't made as an offsetting penalty in recent memory and the call was made by either an ECAC or HEA official when UND played (and lost) to Ferris State. The call was against Ferris State. I remember TH being very surprised at the call.

I am very frustrated after tonight. I was pissed by both late penalties on us (Stalock hooked our guy and fell down because of it and we got called for??? not sure what. Also we dove to stop a two on one pass and the Duluth guy skated into our guy and fell - tripping? Wow I'm upset.) But, when they scored and we looked at replay, I knew the rules should have said no goal Duluth. I was beside myself. How can I know more than the WCHA refs on the ice? I thought I should look up the rules to determine if I am correct. Here's what I found (straight from NCAA rule book):

High Sticks

SECTION 21.

a. Carrying sticks above the height of 4 feet (the height of the

goal cage) is prohibited.

HR-72 RULE 6 / PLAYING RULES

PENALTY

ties suck, they suck and have always sucked. i dont care what anyone says. they suck and it shouldnt be a way to end a friken game. give each team a point for getting to OT then play 20 frijen minutes. 95% of the time a goal will be scored if not more and if they dont then so be it but 5 damn minutes is a joke. i would rather give a bum 35 bucks to do whatever he wants to do with it than pay that to see a f$$%^$ tie. go sioux.................

get a friken win saturday. 3 points is the goal since 4 is not possible :D i am not sleeping a minute until the sioux win, ill be buzzing off red bulls and vodka all day from now til saturday night so please sioux, get a win so i can sleep and get rested for sunday, until then im pulling a all nighter.dayer :silly:

lomg live fighting sioux hockey and long live the osh man

All the refs in this league are horrible. They all suck equally.