SiouxSports.com Forum

North Dakota @ Montana St.

bincitysioux

I'm not too disappointed in the result of this game. Montana State is supposed to be pretty good (picked third in the Big Sky), and obviously playing a Friday night game followed by a long bus trip for another game less than 48 hours later isn't easy. I think the Sioux are going to win a lot of games vs. dI opponents this year.

To continue..........I have been watching Fighting Sioux Women's Basketball for the last 15 years with the last 6 being very close. I have seen our young ladies the last 6 years being terrified of making a mistake for fear of getting pulled. Just watch a player if they screw up, they will automatically take a quick glance at the bench to see if they are going to be subbed out. Or, watch the players' necks crane to the scorekeeper when the horn sounds. Playing "to not make a mistake" makes a player half as good. Case in point: Look at today's game against Montana St. We were 21 points down at one time. The ladies had nothing to lose or fear at that point and played loosey-goosey and almost came back and won. That's not going to happen all of the time of course, but to maximize performance in any field, you have to be relaxed. I don't see all of our players totally relaxed. I see them playing tentative for fear of coming out of the game.

We have been very successful in this sport. Gene is a great recruiter. When we were winning National Championships, we were playing 8, maybe 9 players, unless there was foul trouble. Trying to play 10 or 11 regularly screws with the flow of the game and the players rythm. Against Eastern Michigan we had a 15 point lead and we went deep into the bench and they wittled it to 3 before the starters went back in. I was worried that we had lost the momentum already and it was going to go right down to end, but our ladies pulled us though in spite of the strategy.

It's crazy when this is literally the only non-quantitative item in the article:

Women's basketball: Montana State 85, UND 78, final

"Our players battled back," UND coach Gene Roebuck said in the postgame radio interview. "That's the worst-refereed game I've seen in my life."

I love coaches who have been around long enough to be willing to say things like that. I anxiously await details of the controversy...

To continue..........I have been watching Fighting Sioux Women's Basketball for the last 15 years with the last 6 being very close. I have seen our young ladies the last 6 years being terrified of making a mistake for fear of getting pulled. Just watch a player if they screw up, they will automatically take a quick glance at the bench to see if they are going to be subbed out. Or, watch the players' necks crane to the scorekeeper when the horn sounds. Playing "to not make a mistake" makes a player half as good. Case in point: Look at today's game against Montana St. We were 21 points down at one time. The ladies had nothing to lose or fear at that point and played loosey-goosey and almost came back and won. That's not going to happen all of the time of course, but to maximize performance in any field, you have to be relaxed. I don't see all of our players totally relaxed. I see them playing tentative for fear of coming out of the game.

We have been very successful in this sport. Gene is a great recruiter. When we were winning National Championships, we were playing 8, maybe 9 players, unless there was foul trouble. Trying to play 10 or 11 regularly screws with the flow of the game and the players rythm. Against Eastern Michigan we had a 15 point lead and we went deep into the bench and they wittled it to 3 before the starters went back in. I was worried that we had lost the momentum already and it was going to go right down to end, but our ladies pulled us though in spite of the strategy.

If you were really watching as close as you say, you'd notice that the ladies who played when we won those national championships weren't afraid of anything or anyone. Lil Pooh, Katie Richards, middle Pooh, etc. They'd tear each others hair out to beat someone. That, my friend is the difference in the teams of then and now. The last 6 years we've had kids who don't compete when the time comes. They get outworked on big possessions, take 3's at bad times, give up offensive rebounds, etc. We need to find players like the Pooh's and Katie, and Jenny Crouse again. Only then will things get better. It ain't coaching my friend, its players and heart.

It's crazy when this is literally the only non-quantitative item in the article:

Women's basketball: Montana State 85, UND 78, final

I love coaches who have been around long enough to be willing to say things like that. I anxiously await details of the controversy...

What about a first year coach like Mussman after the Southern lllinois game? He pretty much blamed the loss on a personal foul call in the first half. Is this going to become a pattern in all Sioux losses?

What about a first year coach like Mussman after the Southern lllinois game? He pretty much blamed the loss on a personal foul call in the first half. Is this going to become a pattern in all Sioux losses?

Guess I missed that? Maybe you could pull up that quote for me? I don't like coaches complaining about officials after a game in general. Now I know they did show the play that had Muss a little excited that led to S. ill getting a long TD instead of having to punt in a 2 score game at the time and any coach who could ignore that play doesn't have a pulse, it was without a doubt as flagrant of a hold as you could possible have...the kind of missed call that usually gets a referee the next week off.