SiouxSports.com Forum

former players

schmidtdoggydog

Greene dropped the gloves again last night. Not much of a fight Peters turtled after a few punches. It happened after Greene leveled a guy bringing the puck across the blue line. Awesome hit!!! The crowd really appreciated it.

I am curious here. These are the first fights I have seen him in and he has held his own however, he is getting no respect from the fans on the hockey fights msg board. I thought Greene was supposed to have a really nasty streak. I even talked to John Scott last season when we were up in Houghton after the Sat. night game. We were talking about how Scott had tried to get Greene to go and he wouldn't. Scott said he wants to fight him but he is a little scared because he hears Greene is mean and can fight. This coming from a very big guy. Has the rest of the hockey world not heard about this streak or do they have blinders on to thier resident tuff guy's. The fans were saying the same thing after Greene dropped them with Simpson. Like I said just curious, and was wondering what everyone else thought as well.

Greene dropped the gloves again last night. Not much of a fight Peters turtled after a few punches. It happened after Greene leveled a guy bringing the puck across the blue line. Awesome hit!!! The crowd really appreciated it.

I am curious here. These are the first fights I have seen him in and he has held his own however, he is getting no respect from the fans on the hockey fights msg board. I thought Greene was supposed to have a really nasty streak. I even talked to John Scott last season when we were up in Houghton after the Sat. night game. We were talking about how Scott had tried to get Greene to go and he wouldn't. Scott said he wants to fight him but he is a little scared because he hears Greene is mean and can fight. This coming from a very big guy. Has the rest of the hockey world not heard about this streak or do they have blinders on to thier resident tuff guy's. The fans were saying the same thing after Greene dropped them with Simpson. Like I said just curious, and was wondering what everyone else thought as well.

I think it's a matter of time. Unless you follow college hockey, you probably don't know who Matt Greene is in the NHL. He's had two fights, and in all reality, they weren't "spectacular" fights. I don't care how big and mean you are, it has to be somewhat intimidating to throw the gloves down with any veteran in the NHL. You're new to the league, trying to make an impact, and a name for yourself, and you don't want to let everyone down by losing a fight, and gain a negative reputation from your teammates. Like I said, in time, I think Matt will become more well known. Hopefully, it's not just for fighting.

I think it's a matter of time. Unless you follow college hockey, you probably don't know who Matt Greene is in the NHL. He's had two fights, and in all reality, they weren't "spectacular" fights. I don't care how big and mean you are, it has to be somewhat intimidating to throw the gloves down with any veteran in the NHL. You're new to the league, trying to make an impact, and a name for yourself, and you don't want to let everyone down by losing a fight, and gain a negative reputation from your teammates. Like I said, in time, I think Matt will become more well known. Hopefully, it's not just for fighting.

Thanks for the input. I guess I forgot he is still pretty new to the NHL even though he is playing like a veteran IMO. Must be my "Greene" blinders. Well from what I have seen of him in the NHL he is making a name for himself. They even have a forum just for him on Hockey's future website under the Oiler's msg board. So you know the fans there love him as much as we did.

Reputations on the ice are earned and lost on the ice. Tie Domi got rocked by the #26 Vaclav Varada from the Sens in a fight not too long ago and the pundits around the league were talking about how some career AHL player schooled a season goon. Also, it was said that Lee Goren was a feared fighter but never got to show off his stuff while he was here at UND. I almost think players from time to time need to show off their skills. Mike Prpich has earned some space from his play on the ice.

Good point. I doubt Greene's ambition was to get to the show, and drop the gloves every 5 minutes. That's a lot of "Look at me! Look at me!". No, I suspect he will play the game as hard as he can, and if he needs to throw 'em, he'll do it. But I doubt he's looking for opportunities.

Reputations on the ice are earned and lost on the ice. Tie Domi got rocked by the #26 Vaclav Varada from the Sens in a fight not too long ago and the pundits around the league were talking about how some career AHL player schooled a season goon. Also, it was said that Lee Goren was a feared fighter but never got to show off his stuff while he was here at UND. I almost think players from time to time need to show off their skills. Mike Prpich has earned some space from his play on the ice.

I don't know if I'd lose any respect for Domi because he's not the fighter today that he once was. Age effects a person in all areas physically. In his prime, Domi had to be one of the most feared (if not the most) fighters in the league, and I'm sure his reputation will continue for as long as he plays. Either that or he'll be remembered for fighting the Philly fan! :silly:

Sorry, but I don't respect Domi at all. I don't care how good of a fighter he is. If he can't contribute offensively or defensively, then what the hell is he doing taking up a roster spot?

I think the role of an enforcer needs to be changed entirely or done away with completely. A team needs to score goals and keep the opponents from scoring. Those are the top two priorities. I don't see having a good fighter on the team as even being in the top 5 most necessary things an NHL team needs.

Scott Parker, Tie Domi, and the like are nothings. People that should be in the WWE and not in hockey.

There ARE enforcers out there that contribute. Scott Stevens for quite a while would drop the gloves and be a bruiser, yet he was also extremely effective defensively and, to a certain point, offensively. If you aren't good enough to play to the 1 and/or 2 top reasons, you're not NHL material, IMO. Period. When's the last time Domi has been considered a valuable asset for reasons OTHER than his fighting skills? I thought not.

Obviously, the NHL does not agree with you on this point.

Not entirely no, but more and more enforcers aren't sticking with the big club.

Many have either changed their game or stepped up other parts of it to stick.

In an unrelated note: Jason Blake had an assist in tonight's 2-1 victory over the Blackhawks. He also had a penalty.

Are you saying Blake is not an enforcer? :silly::D

Blake is like 3rd on his team in scoring, being a goon/enforcer is not his cup of tea.

Blake is also too small to be an enforcer. Blake is what I call a skilled player and doesn't and shouldn't get into a lot of fights. He would get killed fighting against Tie Domi or some of the other goons around the league.

I don't know if I'd lose any respect for Domi because he's not the fighter today that he once was. Age effects a person in all areas physically. In his prime, Domi had to be one of the most feared (if not the most) fighters in the league, and I'm sure his reputation will continue for as long as he plays. Either that or he'll be remembered for fighting the Philly fan! :silly:

I think Domi's days in the league are numbered. I do admit when Domi was younger he would fight anyone, he didn't care who it was. The league is now passing him by. You must be able to contribute and fight to play as a enforcer now. Come to think about it, fighting seems to be way down this season.

I like this quote from Craig:

"I've been really impressed with him," MacTavish said. "I like his character, I like his personality and I like his toughness. He's not hurting us positionally and he moves the puck well."

Wait until they find out he's a sniper! :huh:

DaveK, I hate to say it, but I love and have played a lot of hockey, and I feel that fighting is a good way to protect star players. You have to realize that the only reason they have enforcers on a team is so they can protect the stars(thats the reason why Pittsburgh just picked up Eric Cairns, just to protect crosby). It will hopefully deter the other team from taking free shots at your best players, without any consequences. Without fighters, there would be a lot more injuries, IMO. I suggest you watch the video "Honor and Courage: Tough guys of the NHL". Honestly it gives you a new respect for the bruisers of the game, and it really gets to a person to hear the stories. I think it would change your perspective a bit.

DaveK, I hate to say it, but I love and have played a lot of hockey, and I feel that fighting is a good way to protect star players.

The other way would be call the rulebook. Give the majors when warranted.

Another would be to put the second official up in a booth, with replay, and wire him to the on-ice official.

Another way would be wide-angle video of every game and full tape reviews. If the referee misses something, well, sorry, instead of a 2 or a 5 minute penalty in the game you'll be sitting out some number of games.

This is blasphemy here, I know, but the NHL has surpassed the NCAA this season for watch-ability. The speed is up and the clutching and obstruction is gone.

DaveK, I hate to say it, but I love and have played a lot of hockey, and I feel that fighting is a good way to protect star players. You have to realize that the only reason they have enforcers on a team is so they can protect the stars(thats the reason why Pittsburgh just picked up Eric Cairns, just to protect crosby). It will hopefully deter the other team from taking free shots at your best players, without any consequences. Without fighters, there would be a lot more injuries, IMO. I suggest you watch the video "Honor and Courage: Tough guys of the NHL". Honestly it gives you a new respect for the bruisers of the game, and it really gets to a person to hear the stories. I think it would change your perspective a bit.

So when all a player does is rough another player up and, at best, sits for 5 minutes, this is a good thing?

I have a fabulous idea: Instead of dressing a player like that, dress a player who scores goals. Imagine... no one has ever won a game or even scored a goal because of a fight. Sure, it may rev up your team, and it may rev up the other team just the same. What happens then? You're right, we're right back where we started. There's no point to dropping the gloves.

I agree with Sicatoka. Take out the cheap stuff by making it really tough for the players AND THE TEAM to afford cheap players on the roster.

Parise just made the winning shootout goal against the islanders...Congrats Zach...

UND was well represented in that game with Parise doing the first period spot and Hale doing the second period spot... Parise was on fire in the first...player of the game no doubt...yes he was...just announced...

Also, very nice interview afterward...he's very mature, self-assured and humble...just a young, exciting player and good role model...

So when all a player does is rough another player up and, at best, sits for 5 minutes, this is a good thing?

I have a fabulous idea: Instead of dressing a player like that, dress a player who scores goals. Imagine... no one has ever won a game or even scored a goal because of a fight. Sure, it may rev up your team, and it may rev up the other team just the same. What happens then? You're right, we're right back where we started. There's no point to dropping the gloves.

I agree with Sicatoka. Take out the cheap stuff by making it really tough for the players AND THE TEAM to afford cheap players on the roster.

Sure it sounds like a great idea to just "dress a player who can score". But what team has ever won with all scorers? You need grinders/hard workers to get the energy up for when your star players are having off nights. Where would UND have been last year without their grinder line. That line basically took the team to the national title game once it was playoff time.