SiouxSports.com Forum

UND vs. Idaho State

GeauxSioux

It seems the Bengals are pass happy. In their last game, against Idaho, the Bengals threw the ball 66 times. I hope the North Dakota secondary is ready.

Idaho State had this weekend off and lots of time to prepare and rest for the Sioux.

Edit: Remember this is a Thursday game. Game time 7:35 CDT.

Edited by GeauxSioux

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Idaho St. is 0-2 this season, losing to Boise St. 49-7, and to Idaho 42-27. If you want to put any weight into computer rankings, Sagarin had UND at 134 last week, Idaho at 159 and Idaho St. at 185. Idaho St. was 3-8 last season, and was picked to finish 8th (out of 9 teams) in the Big Sky this year.

My feeling is that this is a game UND can and should win. It probably won't be easy, particularly with the very short prep time, but I suspect the Sioux offense should be able to do some damage against what is apparently a pretty porous ISU defense. Unless ISU is much better than advertised, it would be a pretty big disappointment to lose to one of the worst Big Sky teams.

ISU is giving up ~240 rushing yards per game. Perhaps that is the reason the Sioux were so persistant with establishing the run game Saturday.

The Bengals' key player appears to be senior WR/PR Eddie Thompson. He has alot of catches so far, but not many yards. He had a very nice season last year.

Their QB is just a sophomore, but he did start 9 games last season. He has thrown 4 INT's so far.

ISU has not had alot of success running the ball so far this season. Although they pretty much abandoned their running game against Idaho when they fell behind quickly. Their head coach is somewhat known for liking to pass, but so far it looks like it has been alot of underneath passing, as their longest pass play has been 23 yards.

I think North Dakota is the better team in this matchup, but it is ISU's home opener, they'll have had nearly two weeks to prepare to UND's 5 days, and we have spend one of our 5 days travelling. All factors that can't be ignored.

If UND can run the ball anywhere close to the way they did on Saturday, I think we'll be in good shape. I like the matchup of our run defense against their run offense. Get in the backfield and disrupt the QB.

ND 20

ISU 16

That is awesome!

Might be worth scanning 105W, at least, where the Grizzlies have been uplinked the last two weeks, to see if this game is uplinked. If anyone with a motorized system finds this game prior to start time, please post the coordinates here.

I like the Sioux in this game. I think they will finally have some motivation, the last 3 weeks were almost like scrimmages or preseason games. I feel they will open up the playbook a bit more and play better football. I think we go in and win by 10-14 points. I read on the Bengal message board that they expect only 5000 fans at this one, so the environment won't be very intimidating. The short prep time for us and long prep time for them is the wildcard, is the elevation an issue?

If on Altitude, local sports bars should have the game on...if not, I can watch on my computer, so I'm happy.

The game won't be broadcast on directv. If you google "College Football TV Schedule" the top link is a great compilation of what games you can check out on direcTV. Unfortunately, the Sioux don't have any this year so far.

You do need to register on BigSkyTV.org, but it's free to watch this season. I'd suggest registering before the time of the actual game, because one of the big complaints about the provider in the past has been the lack of customer service and support (especially at game time).

The local paper (Idaho State Journal) has a couple of blogs which are pretty good for info, including a recent interview about the Sioux from a ND reporter.

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/kellis/

http://www.pocatelloshops.com/new_blogs/sports/

Anybody traveling out for the game?

Bengals 34

Sioux 24

I can't believe you guys have been ducking us for over 40 years! :lol:

Good to have an ISU fan on board. I read on your message board that they expect only 5000 at the game. Is this a typical attendance figure? I think there will be a decent number of Sioux fans in your building, UND is known nationally for having some of the best fans around, we travel quite well to football and hockey games.

I read on your message board that they expect only 5000 at the game. Is this a typical attendance figure?

The first game, for whatever reason, never seems to draw well. I think it can be attributed to many reasons. For example, we have played a lot of NAIA teams in that opening game, and they haven't been much of a contest. It's also no secret we have struggled the last few years, so I think the casual fan has a "wait and see" attitude after that first game. Going into the home opener with an 0-2 record doesn't help either.

Last year we averaged about 7,000 fans a game, which is about the middle of the pack for FCS schools. The positive is this was with a 3-8 team, so there is room to grow when the team starts to win.

Hope to see some of you here. Need any suggestions then just ask!