SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux on satellite?

northfieldsioux22

Hey I just moved out of Grand Forks and I don't know if I'm gonna be able to handle not seeing the Sioux everyweekend. I know people watch the games around the country still....just wondering how. What kind of equipement do I need? Any help will be much appreciated!

Be careful not to get a poorly made Fortec dish as part of the system. You'll find good components in both fixed and motorized systems here.

I know this is a little off topic but with regards to watching this season over webcast, does anybody know if the icebreaker tournament in boston will be available to watch over the internet somewhere. i know it is still about a month away but i just thought i would ask now so i dont start to panic about it 1 week before the tournament.

also if anyone knows which other away games will be available to watch over the internet i would love to know where and when.

any info would be great. thanks

are you filling in for the Governor ???

speaking of the dishes - I hear the new digital - over the air systems - that will replace analog - will also cost you a antenna & not everywhere will have it ?

What else do you get on a 30 in dish

& why can't you get dish or Direct TV just for the summer (at the lake)

& is Direct & Dish really as good as cable - if a person were to switch

I know this is a little off topic but with regards to watching this season over webcast, does anybody know if the icebreaker tournament in boston will be available to watch over the internet somewhere. i know it is still about a month away but i just thought i would ask now so i dont start to panic about it 1 week before the tournament.

also if anyone knows which other away games will be available to watch over the internet i would love to know where and when.

any info would be great. thanks

Don't know about the icebreaker, but generally the games with a Sioux webcast are those that are also televised on FSSN. I believe you'll also get all home football, basketball (m&w), and women's hockey, with the webcast subscription. Currently I can't even get the freebees to stream, so I can't say how it's working.

FSSN schedule

??? I'm so SOL!! It's a temporary assignment, so if there isn't a dish already there............

In Alaska they use 36" dishes for Dish Network 119 and 6 footers for 110

for KU you would need a big dish (I know you didnt want to hear that)

are you filling in for the Governor ???

speaking of the dishes - I hear the new digital - over the air systems - that will replace analog - will also cost you a antenna & not everywhere will have it ?

What else do you get on a 30 in dish

& why can't you get dish or Direct TV just for the summer (at the lake)

& is Direct & Dish really as good as cable - if a person were to switch

Fetch,

If you live where you can reach the TV signals by antenna, most of those are now broadcast in both digital and HD, just takes a regular TV antenna, much like (or the same as) those people have always put up to get local analog stations. To get digital and HD, you also need a receiver capable of receiving the digital signals (or a modern hdtv with a digital tuner), you can buy many of those boxes with the $40 government coupon. If you currently get stations via antennas, you can get the digital stations with those same antennas and a box (or hdtv with tuner instead).

I prefer dish and directv to cable, since I live in an area that doesn't offer much cable-wise, and is very expensive if you choose the digital and/or HD packages. Many of the offerings in cities on digital cable are much the same as you can get with dishnetwork or directtv satellite TV. Of course, dish and directtv offer Center Ice, multi sports paks (all Fox Sports net channels) and so on, for additional subscription fees.

Check lyngsat links for what is available by FTA satellite. Just note that the low frequency (3000-4000) channels require a big dish, the 30" will just get you the high frequency (ku band, 11000-12000, including FSSN) stations. There are other wild feeds that pop up from time to time in addition to those listed on lyngsat, the FSSN will not be listed there. I've also watched CCHA and ECAC games on FTA last season, as well as other sports feeds that uplink to satellite (Montana Grizzly football, for instance). I was a bit mislead when I first ordered a system, as I thought I could get UAA games when the Sioux played there, but, that has been available on C band only, so it would require a big dish.

I've got no issues with my 3 fortec dishes (2 6 foot primes focus and one 90cm dish)....oh wait my one FOrtec 6 footer has a crumpled side as it fell off the table a few times ???

(but still works great)

My 80cm fortec had very poor galvanization, very thin and bendable. any crease resulted in almost instant rusting, and hot weather warped the dish causing loss of signal on my motorized system. In addition, the mast was so soft I couldn't properly tighten down the dish without bending the mast, resulting in an out of plumb mast. It worked fine during the cold winter months for FSSN, but, having compared it to the winegard (I think you were using this as your small dish, iceberg?), it does not compare at all for quality. Possible fortec makes some that have better galvanization, but, after the first I'm not willing to try again since I now know where to get good dishes with good galvanization.

At any rate, I now have the 90cm hotdish from dmsi international, and that is a very fine dish.

dish1.jpg

My 80cm fortec had very poor galvanization, very thin and bendable. any crease resulted in almost instant rusting, and hot weather warped the dish causing loss of signal on my motorized system. In addition, the mast was so soft I couldn't properly tighten down the dish without bending the mast, resulting in an out of plumb mast. It worked fine during the cold winter months for FSSN, but, having compared it to the winegard (I think you were using this as your small dish, iceberg?), it does not compare at all for quality. Possible fortec makes some that have better galvanization, but, after the first I'm not willing to try again since I now know where to get good dishes with good galvanization.

At any rate, I now have the 90cm hotdish from dmsi international, and that is a very fine dish.

I have a fortec 90cm fixed on G10. Have had it for a couple years now and no rusiting except for on the bottom of the bolt where the LNB holder goes and thats due to rain. The winegard 76cm is on the roof due to the low roofline I have. I cant go any bigger

But like I say the fortec dish I have works very well. Havent had any issues with it. Both 6t footers get a lot of use too ???

Does anyone know if Cableone will carry the FSSN this year in Fargo? Last season it was on channel 44.

they probably will carry the games again this year. As to what channel we dont know but probably on 44 again unless Cable One went through a channel reorganization

dish1.jpg

NICE picture of the Hot Dish 90cm Sprig ???

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sioux Fans should beware where they buy their satellite systems / dish from!

After seeing last seasons "recommendation" here for one of the above dish one fan went ahead and bought one, hired an installer who had a Birdog satellite meter and was familiar with Linear Ku Band satellite installation. Seemingly he had a real hard time with this install. For the life of him he could not find a signal and left the job defeated.

The Sioux fan contacted me and I agreed to come over and finish the job.

I get there and it's a three story house with the Dish right up on the apex of the roof! (I always install dish as low as I can) After chatting with the fan for a while he goes inside and I proceed onto the roof. My 24' ladder was fully extended, I zipped up the ladder and JUST when I was about to step on the roof the whole ladder collapsed and I fell the full 24' onto concrete, I was also wearing a 40 pound tool belt. I could have died that day.

I was shaken and bleeding but not as shaken as the fan who had heard the ladder and me crash to the ground and had rushed outside. The neighbors all ran to my aid, one of whom was a doctor. After we all calmed down and the slight bleeding stopped I returned to the roof to finish the job, after all there was Sioux hockey that night, it had to be done ???

When I got to the roof I found the problem/s.

The LNB from one of the stores recommended above was DOA, dead. I replaced it, of course this could have been the first installer who damaged the LNB with the hours of searching for the satellite. But I doubt it as I had an identical LNB of the same brand DOA that same day on another service call!

The main problem and the reason the first installer could not find the satellite was because the elevation scale on the side of the above recommended dish was mis-marked by over 7

I did forget to mention that a change in lnb improved my reception also; I'd guess I'd received one of the bad batch of uln1's. Absolutely great results with the xtreme II and JSC321s lnb's.

And yes, you can make the fortec 80cm work with a fixed system, if you want to go as cheap as possible for a dish, but for little more you can significantly increase the dish quality.

I have a fortec 90cm fixed on G10. Have had it for a couple years now and no rusiting except for on the bottom of the bolt where the LNB holder goes and thats due to rain. The winegard 76cm is on the roof due to the low roofline I have. I cant go any bigger

But like I say the fortec dish I have works very well. Havent had any issues with it. Both 6t footers get a lot of use too ???

I have two 33 inch Fortecs and 1 - 48 inch and they are excellent dishes. I don't know where sprig got his but mine were very well made and came with good hardware. Better than a lot of the other dishes out there.

I have two 33 inch Fortecs and 1 - 48 inch and they are excellent dishes. I don't know where sprig got his but mine were very well made and came with good hardware. Better than a lot of the other dishes out there.

Got the system from sadoun, the lnb was bad, the dish has almost no galvanization, and the mast was soft and pliable. Galvanized steel absolutely should not start rusting immediately when a small scratch or ding occurs, but mine did. The elevation bracket was off 5 degrees (guessing, since getting plumb with a soft mast is near impossible), and, rust began immediately after rubbing off some paint getting the elevations adjusted totally by trial and error. I see the dish alone is now $55, when I previously looked after seeing the quality, it was around $25.

Motorizing a poor dish and bendable mast is impossible for a newbee like I was, and no doubt near impossible for an experienced professional installer. I've since replaced virtually every component, and now have a system working like it's supposed to. I can only compare the 80cm fortec I got to the winegard and the hotdish90, and the galvanization and quality of the latter two blow the first out of the water. Maybe every component of my first system was a nontypical lemon (expect the fortec classic na stb which worked fine), but, having seen and used better components, I wouldn't take another chance with sadoun. I don't live somewhere that I can check different components for what I like best, and trial and error by online or over the phone ordering gets expensive. I know places to buy dmsi distributed components, I know how good the dmsi backing of the products is, and I've personally seen the quality and used it. I can't see any reason for any Sioux fan looking for a new system to take a chance on something that may or may not be good. I'd hate a Sioux fan to have a similar experience to mine.

BTW, I'm not a system salesmen nor do I get commission for talking Sioux fans into buying dmsi equipment, I'm just posting personal experience, that's it.