SiouxSports.com Forum

Tonight's Game

UND Fan

There were a lot of positive's to be taken from last night's game, including nice performances by Freund and Trenbeath, no turnovers and over 400 yards of offense. In terms of things that need improvement, I'd say tackling, e.g. how many times did a defender miss the quarterback?; kick coverage; and somebody to emerge as a reliable number two receiver. Not that anybody was dropping passes or anything, but I don't believe we can expect Trenbeath to continue to put up those types of numbers because teams are going to focus their coverage on him until somebody else shows they can be a big threat.

I thought Josh Murray looked good, too.

After a somewhat slow start, they looked quite good. Not the explosiveness on offense of the last two seasons, but still a very productive and methodical effort I'd say.

Couple thoughts I took away from last night's game.........

-Freund bobbled several snaps while holding for place kicks. Need to tighten that up, he's been the holder for 4 years now.

-Josh Murray is going to need to get the ball more. He is a much more decisive and patient runner than Brady.

-I thought the offensive line got pushed around a bit in the run blocking. Lots of tackles in our backfield.

-Hellevang only punted a couple times, but man can he kick it a long ways. I wonder how he'll do in situational punting.

-The player that I was most impressed with last night was Dominique Hawkins. His interception is what finally fired the team up, and he had a couple real nice kick returns.

-Need to work on tackling.

-Kenny Watkins also looked good, stayed where he was supposed to all night, and had a couple of pass break-ups.

-Hard to tell from one game, but I've felt that the secondary was somewhat of a weakness for us the past two seasons. Aside from the two busted plays that resulted in TAMUK TD's, I thought they looked quite good last night. Along with Otto and Manke, I thought the young guys Hawkins, Ankenbaur, Watkins all played well. And Saporu wasn't even dressed last night.

Random thoughts and comments...

1) Watkins is good.

2) My daughter lost a tooth in the first half...tough game.

3) I have better seats than Coach Brian Jones.

4) Trenbeath should have gotten the Player of the Game.

5) I thought the TAMUK coach was going to personally administer an a$$ kickin' to his O-line after 3 false starts in a row. ???

6) The new AD doesn't do push-ups.

7) I got two WE ARE 1 WE ARE NORTH DAKOTA yard signs! One for me and one for my neighbor.

8) Hawkins reminds me of Donovan Alexander...that's a good thing.

9) Nice crowd but half or more left by the end of the third.

10) Congratulations to Coach Mussman and the boys on their first win in DI!

GO SIOUX

Checking out the stats over at FightingSioux.com, I noticed that the Sioux had the ball over 37 minutes. Coach Mussman had to love that.

Especially when TAMKU had a time advantage after the 1st quarter. It was 30:27 vs. 14:33 after that including a 20:50 to 9:10 advantage in the 2nd half!

There were a lot of positive's to be taken from last night's game, including nice performances by Freund and Trenbeath, no turnovers and over 400 yards of offense. In terms of things that need improvement, I'd say tackling, e.g. how many times did a defender miss the quarterback?; kick coverage; and somebody to emerge as a reliable number two receiver. Not that anybody was dropping passes or anything, but I don't believe we can expect Trenbeath to continue to put up those types of numbers because teams are going to focus their coverage on him until somebody else shows they can be a big threat.

Agreed on the tackling. I am hoping the overpursuing is from the excitement from the first game and not a trend. The overpursuit led to their touchdown off the big yardage flee-flicker. I don't remember how many times they had that quarterback set in their sights only to have him duck and the defender go flying by. A few kinks here and there, but other than that, not a bad first game, especially the second half.

This game definitely had a lot more positives than negatives. Offense looked really sharp once they settled down. Murray and Solum both looked impressive running and I though Breitbach called an excellent game. Defense seems to be making less mistakes than last year but still needs to work on tackling. Also I think Kelling/Mannaussau need to be a little more aggressive in their play-calling. I think they have a tendency of sitting back to much and not utilizing our blitz packages enough to create pressure. Also, I was impressed with the athleticism of a lot of the kids from last year's recruiting class. Solum, Hawkins, Ankebauer, and Murray all seems to be studs and if Watkins is any indication of what we can expect from this years class then I think our recruiting is heading in the right direction for what it will need to be as we transition to Division I.

Good win to start the D1 transition. The one thing my buddy and I commented on was the "eye test". You know how some teams run out of the tunnel and they pass the "eye test". This has to be one of the smallest overall teams I've seen UND put on the field in years. From lineman to linebackers. I went with some friends last year to see NDSU and Sam Houston St. When those teams came out, they passed the "eye test": Both big/lean and on the field they were tough and fast. Our guys played with a lot of toughness last night, but we also didn't show a lot of speed overall. Great crowd and good win. We had a blast.

I think St. Cloud will be quite improved from last year. Tough start to the season losing in OT then facing UND for a team that would like to contend for a conference title in the new NSIC. They shouldn't be taken for granted and the game will have a good old fashioned NCC feel to it.

• 2 weeks later...