SiouxSports.com Forum

what do you think about the schedule

Fetch

No doubt. Evidently, some people forget what it's like to be a student the day they graduate or, in some instances, never went to UND in the first place so they have no idea what they're talking about.

This is a pure shot in the dark, but I don't feel like starting a new thread and this does pertain to UND's schedule. Does anyone know when tickets for the Great Lakes Invitational go on sale? It would be great to see the Sioux play out here in Michigan, but it's over the holidays, so if I can't get tickets to the games, I'd like to get my flights home booked before the last minute.

It won't be until sometime in the fall. I have had season tickets to College Hockey at the Joe for the last 4 years and they never ask me to renew until October.

There are always plenty of tickets available for the GLI and you will not have problems getting them. Always open seats in the lower bowl corners and scattered throughout. Plenty of openings in the upper bowl. Obviously you get the best tickets the earlier you order them but never too much of a problem getting into the games at the last minute (unless UM plays MSU for the championship... then there might be an issue).

I know there are a lot of season ticket holders in my section (UM and MSU fans alike) looking forward to the Sioux coming in for the tournament. They've had some great teams invited in the recent past, BU, BC, Colorado College and of course UND in 2001 (who all, by the way, won the championship game).

Can't wait for the season and can't wait for GLI to see the Sioux!!

It won't be until sometime in the fall. I have had season tickets to College Hockey at the Joe for the last 4 years and they never ask me to renew until October.

There are always plenty of tickets available for the GLI and you will not have problems getting them. Always open seats in the lower bowl corners and scattered throughout. Plenty of openings in the upper bowl. Obviously you get the best tickets the earlier you order them but never too much of a problem getting into the games at the last minute (unless UM plays MSU for the championship... then there might be an issue).

I know there are a lot of season ticket holders in my section (UM and MSU fans alike) looking forward to the Sioux coming in for the tournament. They've had some great teams invited in the recent past, BU, BC, Colorado College and of course UND in 2001 (who all, by the way, won the championship game).

Can't wait for the season and can't wait for GLI to see the Sioux!!

Thanks to both you and mikejm. I can't wait!

Give the info in the link and the last two seasons you can see that the "rivals pairs" are:

UND/SCSU; UM/UW; CC/DU; UMD/MSU-M; MTU/UAA.

I thought MSU-M/UAA and UMD/MTU were "rival pairs" and it being that way becuase MSU-M and UAA were the last ones to join the leauge so they really had nowhere else to go?

ohh and GO SIOUX!

I thought MSU-M/UAA and UMD/MTU were "rival pairs" and it being that way becuase MSU-M and UAA were the last ones to join the leauge so they really had nowhere else to go?

ohh and GO SIOUX!

I think you're right on that one.

They swapped the pairs to MSU-M/UMD and UAA/MTU in about 2003 or 2004.

Just look at last year's and this year's schedules to see I'm right. (We play four against both MTU and UAA, 4/4, this year. You don't do that against a "rivals pair". You play 2/4 or 4/2 against a "rivals pair".)

The reason: Tech and Anchorage are the two toughest (travel logistics) places in the conference to get to. Making them a pair makes travel a little better for the rest of the WCHA. And, really, UMD/MSU-M make more sense as "rivals" too.

They swapped the pairs to MSU-M/UMD and UAA/MTU in about 2003 or 2004.

Just look at last year's and this year's schedules to see I'm right. (We play four against both MTU and UAA, 4/4, this year. You don't do that against a "rivals pair". You play 2/4 or 4/2 against a "rivals pair".)

The reason: Tech and Anchorage are the two toughest (travel logistics) places in the conference to get to. Making them a pair makes travel a little better for the rest of the WCHA. And, really, UMD/MSU-M make more sense as "rivals" too.

I thought I had it figured out too, but it turns out that siouxfan123 is correct. From a home-and-home every season standpoint, it's clearly:

UND-SCSU

UMTC-UW

DU-CC

MTU-UMD

UAA-MSUM

What I didn't know is that not every team in the WCHA follow's UND's pattern (six from every pair each season plus home-and-home). For example, UAA has the following pattern:

Home-and-home - MSUM every season

Six games - UND/SCSU pair every season

Six games - UMTC/UW pair every season

Here's the funky part:

Eight games and four games with the DU/CC pair every other season

Eight games and four games with the MTU/UMD pair every other season.

You do realize of course that USC and UCLA are not playing NCAA ice hockey but merely ACHA club ice hockey.

They are playing club hockey. Not NCAA. Club, ... not even junior varsity*.

Quite honestly, cherry-pick the UND intramural league to create a UND club roster and you'll give either (USC, UCLA) way more than they want on the ice.

* JV implies that the school is playing the bill. Club means just that "club", kids paying their own way with the exception of maybe a couple thousand dollars from the Student Senate, the same couple thousand bucks the campus chess club and GLAAD chapter get from the Student Senate. JV = Athletic Department; Club = self-funded.

Don't count on UND intramural beating USC. The ice hockey in CA is played at a very high level. There are far more kids from CA playing D-I college hockey than there are from ND. Playing an exhibition game against USC - even in in CA - would be tremendous for recruiting. Don't forget that the best 15 year old in the country, and possible the world, (McColgan) plays for the Jr. Kings.

I'm guessing UAA has some quirks to try to limit the number of trips they have to make. I know they regularly have back to back road trips where they don't go to Alaska. It would make sense not to split up there trips to Colorado and perhaps they do something similar with Duluth and Tech, or even pair those with other trips, like Minnesota and Wisconsin, respectively.

• 2 weeks later...
Speaking of schedule, FSSN is supposedly televising 2 away games this year. Anybody know/have a guess which ones?

Pretty easy guess, and that's all it is, but I would say Duluth. 2nd Option would be Mankato. 3rd would be SCSU. They would be my 2nd option, but they(SCSU) don't like us. :silly: