SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting Issues

jk

Actually I can't believe that we are arguing recruits before they have even played one game/shift. Don't some of you guys play golf or fish, yesh.

I actually think UND's recruits are/should be as highly reguarded but haven't got as much press because MPLS is a big time media market, and it is all about the Goofers. Also, why should UofM fans care how many goalies UND has on its roster, maybe they would like to add Siembieda to theirs. I think UND is going to do its talking on the ice this next season, frankly I hope they sweep the dirty Gophers at the REA so I don't have to hear how REA is Marry-ucci north. I also believe that Murray, Bochenski, Parise should/could be the next line of fire they could be about a 100-250 point line. But you know what I don't care what some fan from south of here thinks of the goalie situation or our coach or our team. 7 is still > 5...

A recruit on the way in 04-05 is a defenceman who is playing for the Grande Prairie Storm in the Alberta Junior Hockey League. He will probably be the Most Valuable Defenceman in the league in 03-04. Grande Prairie is hosting the Canadian Junior A championship next year. He had 17 goals and 48 assists and 118 penalty minutes last year. Great skater and a great shot. You can check out a feature story on him on the Storm website at www.gpstorm.com

A recruit on the way in 04-05 is a defenceman who is playing for the Grande Prairie Storm in the Alberta Junior Hockey League. He will probably be the Most Valuable Defenceman in the league in 03-04. Grande Prairie is hosting the Canadian Junior A championship next year. He had 17 goals and 48 assists and 118 penalty minutes last year. Great skater and a great shot. You can check out a feature story on him on the Storm website at www.gpstorm.com

Do you have the name of said player?

His name is Kyle Radke. He has played with the Storm the last two years. He was an all-star last year. He had fly-ins to Alaska-Fairbanks, Western Michigan, Nebraska and Minnesota, but chose UND. He should fit in very well with the NCAA game. A former Storm player who NCAA fans may recognize from last year is Grant Stevenson, who was one of the top scorers in the NCAA playing with Minnesota Mankato. Grant recently signed with the San Jose Sharks.

The article suggests that UND wanted him to come in this fall to fill Hale's spot, but that he really wanted to stay this year to play for a national junior title.

It sure sounds nice to land a good, solid two-way defefenseman.

I like his dedication to his team, wanting to stay and win a championship with them at home. That kind of loyalty could pay off for the Sioux down the road. I also like that he's coming to work out with the team this summer.

Nice to see we may have some more offensive skill on the blueline in the future.

The Sioux have two defensemen coming in '04-'05 (Beaverson and Radke), but they'll have no senior defensemen on the team in '03-'04. I like this recruit because I think there is a reasonable probability that one or two defensemen will leave early after next season. It's nice to know there's a quality recruit waiting in the wings to fill that position.

If the last paragraph of the article is accurate, it does not appear that Siembida is returning.

Also while the paper might say that Ranfranz and Sofie are coming back, look for both of them to get cut in the pre-season workouts/tryouts, what ever they call it. So it looks like Jake is going to have to earn himself a seat on the bench this season. Interesting.

Also while the paper might say that Ranfranz and Sofie are coming back, look for both of them to get cut in the pre-season workouts/tryouts, what ever they call it. So it looks like Jake is going to have to earn himself a seat on the bench this season. Interesting.

I think Jake has as good of chance as anyone to be the starter. He was pretty good down the stretch. In fact, he probably has a slight advantage going into the season since he'll be the only one with college game experience. That's not to say that Ziggy or Parise couldn't take over the starters role at some point because they could. But it's a bit presumptuous to count Jake out before the season even starts.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep Ranfranz or Sofie (but probably not both). 4 goalies in practice is better than 3.

So you're saying Woog was lying when he said he had no spot on the roster for another goalie at the time Goehring was available?

No, I am saying that I question whether Woog ever said that in an interview. When Karl was recruited, he was playing in Fargo for the Ice Sharks. I recall that Karl was offered money by Minnesota, but not a full-ride. I believe it was 1/2, but it may have been slightly less. If you want to find out, contact Tarek Howard or Scott Koberinski. They were Karl's coaches at the time. However, he clearly was recruited by Minnesota. It was in the papers and was discussed at the time that Karl chose UND over Minnesota and Alaska-Anchorage. Look it up.

Thanks for posting that link, Greyeagle. This part of the story squares with what I heard Woog say in the interview on MSC.

The Gophers recruited Goehring long and hard, but timing, perhaps more than anything else, did them in. Minnesota has a full slate of goaltenders -- Willy Marvin, Erik Day and Steve DeBus -- and Goehring didn't want to spend another year in junior hockey waiting for Steve DeBus' scholarship to open up.

If Goehring had decided to attend Minnesota, he would have had to pay his own way for a year and face competition from Marvin, Day and incoming Coleraine, Minn. recruit Adam Hauser next season.

"Most goaltenders don't want to see a lot of trees in their way," Gophers coach Doug Woog said.