SiouxSports.com Forum

track

audio13

Today's compare and contrast moment:

MSU-Moorhead pole vaulter wins womens DII title: Front page sports, Fargo Forum, Saturday

UND wins how-many-again DII individual titles: Nada. Can't find anything about DII track in the Fargo Forum.

Coincidence? I think not.

PS - I'm not a track and field guy, but winning is winning. Good job UND Tracksters.

EDIT - Ooops. My mistake. There's a "near the fold on page whatever" mention of another MSU-Moorhead DII finisher.

Congrats to my 3 former teammates, Litz, Fick, and Heidi. Heidi was probably one of the best all around athletes in a long time at UND. Good for her to win the first ever NCAA outdoor title for the Sioux women.

For Litzinger especially, this must be very rewarding. A couple years ago he wasn't even sure he would throw again after surgery on his knee. What a way to end a career for an unrecruited walk-on athlete. Heckuva nice guy too.

Congrats to my 3 former teammates, Litz, Fick, and Heidi. Heidi was probably one of the best all around athletes in a long time at UND. Good for her to win the first ever NCAA outdoor title for the Sioux women.

For Litzinger especially, this must be very rewarding. A couple years ago he wasn't even sure he would throw again after surgery on his knee. What a way to end a career for an unrecruited walk-on athlete. Heckuva nice guy too.

Litzinger was unrecruited by UND? That's bizarre. He won state his senior year, and I believe he set the state record (since broken). If HE wasn't recruited, it begs the question of whether ANY recruiting goes on in the men's program. :lol: As far as I know, men's track is about the only program at UND which never seems to announce any signees...

This Herald article does a good job of summarizing the problem of the extreme lack of decent track facilities in Grand Forks. It's a shame. I don't think lack of funds is generally a problem for Grand Forks public schools, so I'm not buying that as an excuse for the state of the Cushman track. As for UND, perhaps having a coach who is a bit more proactive in terms of fundraising/lobbying would help?

• 2 months later...
Litzinger was unrecruited by UND? That's bizarre. He won state his senior year, and I believe he set the state record (since broken). If HE wasn't recruited, it begs the question of whether ANY recruiting goes on in the men's program. :) As far as I know, men's track is about the only program at UND which never seems to announce any signees...

This is really a sad thing. I have seen a few threads on this message board about the track and field team and they always come back to the same thing and that is the lack of effort by the coaching staff on the men's side.