SiouxSports.com Forum

Worthy Opponents

SportsDoc

There is much talk here about the perceived/real troubles at Minnesota. We sometimes relish it a bit too much, they sometimes defend it a bit too much. That's what these rivalries are about. Would we feel the same about Mankato or Anchorage? I believe ... No.

The rivalries developed over the years with Wisconsin, Denver and especially Minnesota are real and intense because they are worthy opponents, much as we are for them. In all competitive endeavors one needs worthy opponents to gain any real satisfaction from being successful against them. It makes for better games, better preparation leading up to those games (for coaches and players) and more satisfaction for success in those games as well as more disappointment for losses.

So, though we have a healthy (unhealthy for some) dislike for those programs, it is exactly because they are worthy of that dislike that makes it worth while to have them as rivals. Without those intense rivalries, Sioux hockey (or Gopher hockey for Minnesota fans) would not be the same. It, quite simply, would not be as much fun.

So we need to be thankful for Wisconsin, Denver and Minnesota's successes, because it fuels the competitive juices of our coaching staff and players to perform at their very best. And, in the end, that's what makes our love for college hockey (or any other sport) what it is.

As for what is the pecking order for what is important. To me I rate them thusly:

1) NCAA Title

2) McNaughton Cup

3) Frozen Four berth

4) Broadmoor Trophy

5) NCAA Tournament berth

Your mileage may vary. I hope everyone has a great summer! See you in October.

its best when they are successful, and the Sioux are DOMINANT. its cool to see the aforementioned teams being very successful and we beat them. it is a dream that we fans will live for the next few years, i hope.

There is much talk here about the perceived/real troubles at Minnesota. We sometimes relish it a bit too much....,

Whoa whoa whoa whoa....No, that can't happen.

That said, I pretty much agree with all of the rest of your post. For me, I hate MN deeply, but I remember the last couple Woog years and Lucia's first year and the rivalry just wasn't as intense for me then as it is now. As MN regained its prominence the rivalry heated up, for me.

Now that there is a more active internet community, I might be more interested in the "kick them while they are down" mentality than I was at the time.

As for what is the pecking order for what is important. To me I rate them thusly:

1) NCAA Title

2) McNaughton Cup

3) Frozen Four berth

4) Broadmoor Trophy

5) NCAA Tournament berth

Your mileage may vary. I hope everyone has a great summer! See you in October.

My pecking order would probably be.

1) NCAA Title

2) Frozen Four berth

3) McNaughton Cup

4) Broadmoor Trophy

5) NCAA Tournament berth

Now that there is a more active internet community, I might be more interested in the "kick them while they are down" mentality than I was at the time.

Actually, I believe jumping up and down on them will give you a better cardiovascular workout. But, if kicking is what you enjoy and it works for you, go for it! :D

Actually, I believe jumping up and down on them will give you a better cardiovascular workout. But, if kicking is what you enjoy and it works for you, go for it! :D

I'd like to try a little of both, and then make up my mind!

My pecking order would probably be.

1) NCAA Title

2) Frozen Four berth

3) McNaughton Cup

4) Broadmoor Trophy

5) NCAA Tournament berth

Mine are similar, but I would put an NCAA tournament berth above the Broadmoor, and probably above the McNaughton Cup. The first 2 are easy. A Frozen 4 berth is way ahead of a WCHA title or a Final 5 tournament championship. The years that the Sioux lost in regionals in Ann Arbor, Madison and Colorado Springs (I was at all 3) made the season seem wasted even if they won the league title or the Broadmoor. I don't like losing in the Frozen 4, but getting there is way better than league titles. The Broadmoor Cup is meaningless unless you are fighting for a spot in the NCAA tournament. It is primarily for money and means very little unless you are a bubble team. The goal of the entire year is to make the tournament, and then make it to the Frozen 4 and win it.

I would rank them in this order:

1. NCAA Title

2. Frozen 4 berth

3. NCAA tournament berth

4. McNaugton Cup

5. Winning the season series with the Gophers

6. Winning the season series with Wisconsin, etc.

10? Broadmoor Cup.

10? Broadmoor Cup.

I bet this jumps to #3 when the Sioux finally take down the Gophers in a championship game at the X.

For me reguarding the Gophers, in terms of how much fun it is to be there:

1. NCAA Championship

2. Final Five Championship

3. Regional Championship

4. WCHA Clincher

Two and three are pretty interchangeable to me. In terms of drama though, two of the three recent Gopher regional wins were relatively easy wins. As a Sioux fan I'd love the regionals with OT wins vs. the Gophs and UW.

I bet this jumps to #3 when the Sioux finally take down the Gophers in a championship game at the X.

For me reguarding the Gophers, in terms of how much fun it is to be there:

1. NCAA Championship

2. Final Five Championship

3. Regional Championship

4. WCHA Clincher

Two and three are pretty interchangeable to me. In terms of drama though, two of the three recent Gopher regional wins were relatively easy wins. As a Sioux fan I'd love the regionals with OT wins vs. the Gophs and UW.

The Sioux already did, in 1997 when they beat the Gophers in the Final 5 WCHA championship. How easily you forget Peter Armbrust's OT winner. The Sioux have also won the Final 5 tournament against other teams. My thought is "so what?" It means nothing. Denver won it this year, but lost to Wisconsin in the regional. Do you think Denver will remember this season based on winning the Final 5 tourney? Not likely. However, when they won it all in 2003, DU did not even make it to the Final 5. Do you think DU cares? The Sioux beat Wisconsin a few years ago, the same year that Wisconsin beat BC in the championship. I don't think the Sioux have any bragging rights over Wisconsin for 2006. I have been to the Final 5 on several occasions, and it is just okay. In fact, I was there this year. With the partisan and obnoxious Gophers crowd, it feels like a Gopher holiday tournament, but it does not have the intensity of a regional game where the loser is done. I really don't care about the Final 5 WCHA tournament unless it means the difference between making the NCAA tournament. The fact that the Gophers won last year really didn't bother me, especially since the Sioux beat them a week later in a regional game that counted for something. Denver's win over the Sioux this year really didn't bother me that much either because I knew the Sioux would be playing the next weekend. On the other hand, when the Sioux season was ended in regional games in Colorado Springs, Ann Arbor and Madison, it stung for awhile. That is why a regional game is WAY more significant than any game in the Final 5, win or lose.

Just my 2 cents. You will never convince me that the WCHA Final 5 is meaningful unless it is for momentum for the NCAA tourney. Only SCSU would hang a banner for winning the Final 5.

I guess you'll have to put me down in the "Final Five is not meaningful" list also.

Don't get me wrong; the F5 is a phenomenal atmosphere. I've told many people that going to the F5 is like a religious pilgrimage; every college hockey fan should be required to do it at least once in their life. And I cheer when the Sioux win the F5. But if they lose, I am not more bummed out than after any other loss.

But to compare it to an NCAA championship

Just my 2 cents. You will never convince me that the WCHA Final 5 is meaningful unless it is for momentum for the NCAA tourney. Only SCSU would hang a banner for winning the Final 5.

I guess you'll have to put me down in the "Final Five is not meaningful" list also.

Interesting. So what say you to those here that have roasted Don Lucia for pooh-poohing something even less meaningful than a Final Five title - the Final Five 3rd place game. :D:D

Interesting. So what say you to those here that have roasted Don Lucia for pooh-poohing something even less meaningful than a Final Five title - the Final Five 3rd place game. :D:D

You seem to equate the opinions of a few Sioux fans who post on this website as the opinions of all. That is like me saying that all Gophers fans are idiots just because Happy is (which he clearly is). Those persons who rip on Lucia are entitled to their opinions, but that does not make them the opinions of every Sioux fan. I agree and disagree with their take on the issue. I agree with those who say that you play every game to win because of the front of the jersey, but I also agree with Lucia that the game is certainly not very important for seeding purposes.

Having said that, I don't follow your logic. The fact that MikeJM and I don't feel that the game is meaningful compared to any elimination game does not necessarily mean that Lucia is right by saying that the game is totally meaningless. You are comparing apples and oranges.

1. You seem to equate the opinions of a few Sioux fans who post on this website as the opinions of all.

2. You are comparing apples and oranges.

1. Incorrect - I as much as anyone understand that "a few do not represent the many" - or shouldn't at least. I simply asked for your opinion about the comparison and you don't seem too upset since you answered. :D

2. No it's not. Lucia feels the same way about the 3rd place game in relation to the team's goals for the rest of the season (such as winning the WCHA regular season title, the regionals and the FF) as you do about something even more important than that game - the Final Five title. :D

tDon's comment about placing 3rd in the F5, tells me that his team doesn't need to bust their butts every time they hit the ice. Only some games are important to the Goofs. Poor work ethic, IMHO.

tDon's comment about placing 3rd in the F5, tells me that his team doesn't need to bust their butts every time they hit the ice. Only some games are important to the Goofs. Poor work ethic, IMHO.

Which is no different than some of your fans saying that the Final Five isn't as important as NCAA regionals and the Frozen Four. At some point this will sink for you...

Which is no different than some of your fans saying that the Final Five isn't as important as NCAA regionals and the Frozen Four. At some point this will sink for you...

Coach says game not important vs Fan says game not important. Hmmmm,

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

Someone might wanna tell Hak that NCAA semi's are more important than Final Five 3rd place games. :D

I'll speak to Lucia.

Someone might wanna tell Hak that NCAA semi's are more important than Final Five 3rd place games. :D

I'll speak to Lucia.

While you are it, tell Lucia that regional games (BC 2008, UND 2007, Holy Cross 2006) are more important than Final 5 games, jersey popping, dyeing hair and getting perms. :D

Coach says game not important vs Fan says game not important. Hmmmm,

BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

You don't think the Final Five championship game is important, but you expect someone else to treat the 3rd place game from the same tournament as "balls to the wall" important, ignoring the fact that there was a more important game to be played after? If there is a difference it stems from hypocrisy. :D

Show me where I ever posted that the F5 championship game or any game is not important, post a link where Hak ever said the F5 championship or any game is not important. Maybe I'm having Sybil moments because I don't remember ever posting anything close to that or reading that Hak ever said anything close to that.

IMHO, a Coach (not a fan like you or me whose opinions regarding what happens on the ice mean squat) who classifies some games as worth playing well and others not worth playing well is not a good coach. Why bother playing the game at all? Just forfeit the game and be done with it. That way you're ready to go for the important games.

IMHO, a Coach (not a fan like you or me whose opinions regarding what happens on the ice mean squat) who classifies some games as worth playing well and others not worth playing well is not a good coach.

I'll be sure to ask the Minnesota board of regents to take your opinion (of which you admitted "means squat") of a 2-time national championship winning coach under advisement.

Hey, perhaps you should start a, "Worthy Coaches" thread and dedicate it to explaining why Lucia isn't. :D