SiouxSports.com Forum

Guentzel

fsiouxx

All this talk by Sioux fans about the Gopher program imploding the last few years is just wishful thinking and nothing more. A program that's imploding doesn't win two Macnaughton Cups and a Broadmoor trophy, which by the way is three more banners than the Sioux have won in that time. The Frozen Four is great great but the only thing those appearances have resulted in is Hakstol becoming known as the new "Woog."

It was a gopher fan who said the last three seasons were "not an implosion". I was merely quoting him. Or as the Bard would say "methinks buckysieve doth protest too much."

I'm talking about Mike and what it will mean to him and his family and the team after how Don treated him. Kinda reminds me of the Timberwolves about 3 years ago; When things went bad, they got rid of everything but the core problem (*cough* McHale *cough*) over the proceeding 3 years. From the rest of the comments I have read from Gopher fans, things must be hunky dory in gopherville.

Apparently Mike was responsible for the last few "not implosions", and now the worst is behind the gophers. I remember that Flip's departure turned things around for the Woofies, too.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a gopher fan who said the last three seasons were "not an implosion". I was merely quoting him. Or as the Bard would say "methinks buckysieve doth protest too much."

I'm talking about Mike and what it will mean to him and his family and the team after how Don treated him. Kinda reminds me of the Timberwolves about 3 years ago; When things went bad, they got rid of everything but the core problem (*cough* McHale *cough*) over the proceeding 3 years. From the rest of the comments I have read from Gopher fans, things must be hunky dory in gopherville.

Apparently Mike was responsible for the last few "not implosions", and now the worst is behind the gophers. I remember that Flip's departure turned things around for the Woofies, too.

The biggest of the numerous differences is that Lucia, unlike McHale, as won the big one twice and the smaller ones several times over.

The biggest of the numerous differences is that Lucia, unlike McHale, as won the big one twice and the smaller ones several times over.

really?:lol: thats going to be your argument, of all of the ones you goofies choose to use??? didn't mchale win NUMEROUS titles with the celtics? im not a bball fan, but i know he won a few. as for the twolves, they just plain suck :D

really?:lol: thats going to be your argument, of all of the ones you goofies choose to use??? didn't mchale win NUMEROUS titles with the celtics? im not a bball fan, but i know he won a few. as for the twolves, they just plain suck :D

Mchale did win with the Celtics but only as a player. I would think the focus would be on the coaching/exec. role of McHale cause at least that would be comparing the same thing rather than Lucia as a coach and McHale as a player.

Truthfully, I disagree in this context.

I really think we don't know how this will affect the team on or off the ice. We're not privy to off ice issues really and I'm not sure how much what we are privy to is affected by an assistant head coach (as opposed to the associate head coach or head coach) stepping down.

It may be obvious on ice, but we'll have to wait until next season to know for sure.

I know for a fact that UND's game changed drastically after losing Brad Berry. It took Dane Jackson a while to become effective.

I was just trying to say...if you judge the resigning/firing as trouble before having the data or watching the product/end result, you are wrong. If I said the vikings running game would struggle last year before AP fell to them in the draft...I would look like a fool after week 6. It is easy to judge when you have only half of the story. Let's see who the replacement is and how the team plays the next few seasons before we say there is a huge loss. Mike was great for the program, the new guy could be better, could be worse.

Saying a result is bad before having any data or results is the only wrong, judging without knowledge.

Every great head coach was once an assistant. That guy may be the new Minnesota assistant. The next Minnesota coach may fail, let's give the guy a job before we torch.

I don't know anything about this Rapunzel character and since he was with the Goofs I don't even care to know. I only have to ask if GPL is dead again because this thread seems to have attracted all of the Skippies. To whoever started it well done. :lol:

Mchale did win with the Celtics but only as a player. I would think the focus would be on the coaching/exec. role of McHale cause at least that would be comparing the same thing rather than Lucia as a coach and McHale as a player.

Flame me at will, but I'll take Lucia 8 days a week and 4 times on Sunday before I'd take McHale in the same capacity (talking recruiting/GMing). Lucia can coach, even if he has a bad year every now and then. McHale... has he done one good thing at all as GM of the T-pu$$ies?

Oh wait... he has. He became Taylor's best friend (aka, the Matt Millen school of General Managing). You don't have to do well if the owner thinks you are the best thing since the invention of toilet paper. :lol:

Flame me at will, but I'll take Lucia 8 days a week and 4 times on Sunday before I'd take McHale in the same capacity (talking recruiting/GMing). Lucia can coach, even if he has a bad year every now and then. McHale... has he done one good thing at all as GM of the T-pu$$ies?

Oh wait... he has. He became Taylor's best friend (aka, the Matt Millen school of General Managing). You don't have to do well if the owner thinks you are the best thing since the invention of toilet paper. :lol:

I agree I would take Lucia. But do give credit where it is due with regards to Guentzel. As Lou Nanne said on KFAN, Guentzel needs to get credit for what he has done in the ways of recruiting for the Gophers. Guentzel was also a canidate for the Gopher Head Coaching job when Woog left, but in the end the job going to Lucia.

I would think that Lucia will stick close to the reported target date he set, of June 1st. So hopefully this weekend or early next week Guentzel's replacement should be named.

As for wondering about McHale and if he did one good thing for the T-puppies.........does getting KG or Stephon Marbury count? :D

Mike Hasting Stats:

Coaching

Season Team Lge Type GP W L T OTL Pct Result

1990-91 St. Cloud State NCAA Assistant Coach

1992-93 Omaha Lancers USHL Assistant Coach

1993-94 St. Cloud State NCAA Assistant Coach

1994-95 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 48 30 11 4 3 0.698

1995-96 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 46 30 10 2 4 0.717

1996-97 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 54 40 12 0 2 0.759

1997-98 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 56 39 15 0 2 0.714

1998-99 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 56 43 13 0 0 0.768

1999-00 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 58 36 18 0 4 0.655

2000-01 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 56 35 15 0 6 0.679

2001-02 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 61 46 12 0 3 0.779

2002-03 River City Lancers USHL Head Coach 60 36 19 0 5 0.642

2003-04 River City Lancers USHL Head Coach 60 37 16 0 7 0.675

2004-05 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 60 41 12 0 7 0.742

2005-06 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 60 35 21 0 4 0.617

2006-07 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 60 38 17 0 5 0.675

2007-08 Omaha Lancers USHL Head Coach 60 43 12 0 5 0.758

Minnesota should like this hire.

Yup. Definitely a good choice on their part. Actually, I think he was a better hire for Minny than Hill.

Yup. Definitely a good choice on their part. Actually, I think he was a better hire for Minny than Hill.

Agreed. Hopefully Hastings sticks around for a few years, which is my only concern, especially when you consider the rumors that Hill wants to move to a front office position in some capacity.

Agreed. Hopefully Hastings sticks around for a few years, which is my only concern, especially when you consider the rumors that Hill wants to move to a front office position in some capacity.

No "M-man" at the UofM, no more. How does that sit with Gopher fans? :lol:

As long as it's done cleanly, just win baby! I know others will feel otherwise, but as long as Minnesotans continue to dominate the roster (not completely fill mind you), the players that are on the team abide by the rules, that they represent the program well, that they regulary compete in the WCHA and the NCAAS, and finally that the crappy seasons are few and far between I will not protest.

Hastings was a good defenseman in his own right. Now he is going to be coaching the defense at the U....I see no problem with this hire. That and considering the good defenseman that have come from Omaha to the Gophers, I have no concern. Lucia, Hill and Hastings will be a heck of a coaching trio.

Hastings was a good defenseman in his own right. Now he is going to be coaching the defense at the U....I see no problem with this hire. That and considering the good defenseman that have come from Omaha to the Gophers, I have no concern. Lucia, Hill and Hastings will be a heck of a coaching trio.

Lucia can hire who he wants - if he thinks Hastings is the best hire, fine.

However, I think it is a plus for a program that has a history/tradition of success to have a coaching staff that has a direct link to that history/tradition. I think it helps in recruiting and on ice/behind the bench.

I believes this leads to the "family" atmosphere that recruits/former players bring up when they speak about our favorite team.

Everything else being equal, it gives our staff a plus to be able to speak first hand about the history of our program to recruits. I have talked to some our recruits and they all bring this up.

Lucia can hire who he wants - if he thinks Hastings is the best hire, fine.

However, I think it is a plus for a program that has a history/tradition of success to have a coaching staff that has a direct link to that history/tradition. I think it helps in recruiting and on ice/behind the bench.

I believes this leads to the "family" atmosphere that recruits/former players bring up when they speak about our favorite team.

Everything else being equal, it gives our staff a plus to be able to speak first hand about the history of our program to recruits. I have talked to some our recruits and they all bring this up.

Lucia and Hastings are good friends, Hastings had applied for an Asst. Coach job at CC when Lucia was out there. Not to mention the players that Hastings has had at Omaha that have been in the Gopher Program. So Lucia and Hastings have a good relationship, and heck Lucia's son did go to Omaha to play in the USHL. I don't think that this hire will hurt recruiting infact it may help recruiting knowing that you have Lucia who is a proven coach and Hastings who is also a proven coach. I think that Hastings may recruit more in his home area which is Crookston, MN. So he may look at a lot of Section 8 and 7 hockey guys. That obviously is yet to be seen, but hey give him a chance.

"M" guy or not, Lucia is going to try to get the best guy to fill the spot. I think he did so with this hire.

So he may look at a lot of Section 8 and 7 hockey guys. That obviously is yet to be seen, but hey give him a chance.

That's ok, UND has done real well recruiting in the Metro area as of late. :D

Unfortunately UND's ability to recruit well in that area hasn't yielded a national championship.

Minnesota hasn't been able to get a National Championships either. Not one since 2003, so to hire Hastings might help to recruit players from different parts of the state where he is known, or even more in to the USHL where he just got done coaching

Unfortunately UND's ability to recruit well in that area hasn't yielded a national championship.

i really think(and im not just saying this) that und has a championship in the next 4 years. the recruiting classes in the next few years are going to get more and more impressive.