SiouxSports.com Forum

Ways to "UND-ize" the Alerus

Let'sGoHawks!

I was inspired to start this after reading a topic from the hockey board about the Ralph.

The Alerus needs more UND flavor. How about some suggestions? Here are a few of mine.

An easy thing would be to get a banner running the entire length of the stands on the bottom near the field that is green and white with UND logos, etc on it. You see this at all NFL stadiums and many college. The Bison have one running around the dome and it really adds to the facility.

Second, the endzones need some more paint, the stenciled look of "Sioux" in white is very plain. Third, how about the goalpost pads? Get some with green and white and something UND on them.

These few things would improve the place, a necessary change for the move up.

After 7 seasons of playing at the Al, more should have already been done to make it feel like UND's home. Unfortunately, besides the championship banners, nothing has been done. And with the move to DI it is time to get something done. If the Alerus is going to be UND's home for the next 10 years then something has to be done to make it feel like home.

The first thing that needs to happen is the banner along the front of the stands that was previously mentioned. I think this would go the farthest in making the Al truely feel like UND's home. And having a business or two pay to put their logo on each end of the banner could create more revenue for UND and/or the Al.

Second, when they put up the championship banners, why did they not put one up for the 2003 National Runner Up? If you ask me that is something to be proud of and display. When we played at UNI in 2006 they unveiled their 2005 National Runner Up banner before the start of the game. And doesn't it make more sence to display a National Runner Up banner before a conference CO-championship?!?!

And I agree that the endzones could use a better scheme. Although I believe that the "Sioux" that is in each endzone is actually sewn into the turf. Painting a UND logo at center field would help too.

As for the concourses there needs to be more work done on gameday. A permanent UND Football history/timeline should be on display somewhere on the East concourse. I can understand the Alerus not wanting UND memorabilia in every corner of the concourse all year long. But there should be at least one permanent display. Then on gameday additional portable/temporary displays could be place around the East/West concourses. The 2001 and 2003 championship game trophies should be displayed similar to at the Ralph, the last conference championship trophy that was won, possibly the Nickel and Sitting Bull trophies could be on display, and various displays with photos of various teams and all-americans.

As for the parking lots, I would love to see more radio stations and restaurants set up booths around the various parking lots with prizes and samples to give away. I would set up blowup games and inflatable bouncing cages along the south end of the Al for the younger ones.

I like all of dakotadan's ideas, especially displaying the National Championship trophy, Nickel, and Sitting Bull trophies. The other thing I would like to see added is gigantic larger than life-sized photos of historical Sioux football game portraits or players displayed in a couple spots throughout the concourse, like in the Ralph. Also, to steal from the Ralph, portraits of the UND players who have gone on to the NFL.

If any of you live in GF, when you drive by the Apollo softball/baseball complex, by Red River HS, UND & the Parkboard have finally made UND's Softball team's field somewhat personalized by painting the dugouts and a screen in the fence with UND Fighting Sioux Softball printed on it. So if it can be done there, then I agree that the Alerus should become more "UNDalized" for lack of a better term. The locker rooms look nice, but how many of us hang out in there on a regular basis? I really like the idea of the UND permanent display somewhere at the Alerus with some type of portable displays used on game days. Maybe with new leadership at the athletic and university levels, something may get done in the next season or so.

• 1 year later...
53 DAYS!!! JEEZ COMES QUICK

THRS NO REASON THEY CANT PUT DECORATION UP THAT SAYS "UND" OR "UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA"

THROW SOME PINK IN THR AT LEAST THEY COULD RAZZ IT UP WITH THAT. SOMETHN NEEDS TO GET PUT UP.

me smells Lakes! :angry::sad: Mostly due to the bad spelling and grammar! WHAT a f*ing IDIOT! Correct me if I'm wrong but ndsu is a COLLEGE right?...an institution of "higher learning" (I'd guess that would include SPELLING and grammar but that's just me...)

Note to semi-serious NDSU posters: Lakes seems to have an obsession with DECORATING our arena so hopefully he can "COME OUT" with more details about his suggestions! We'll all be waiting on pins and needles for his IDEAS ;) Until then....I think we should use the same criteria BS'ville uses for him now....every post he makes has to be reviewed by a loyal member of HIS OWN BOARD before it's posted...what a sad, pathetic LOSER!

haha!

me smells Lakes! :angry::sad: Mostly due to the bad spelling and grammar! WHAT a f*ing IDIOT! Correct me if I'm wrong but ndsu is a COLLEGE right?...an institution of "higher learning" (I'd guess that would include SPELLING and grammar but that's just me...)

Note to semi-serious NDSU posters: Lakes seems to have an obsession with DECORATING our arena so hopefully he can "COME OUT" with more details about his suggestions! We'll all be waiting on pins and needles for his IDEAS ;) Until then....I think we should use the same criteria BS'ville uses for him now....every post he makes has to be reviewed by a loyal member of HIS OWN BOARD before it's posted...what a sad, pathetic LOSER!

haha!

There may be some similarity in style of typing, but I'm pretty sure that this isn't the aforementioned NDSU fan. If you look at previous posts from GF siouxfan he looks like an actual Sioux fan. There is no way that our "friend" from the south could have made as many positive posts about UND as GF has done without his head exploding.