SiouxSports.com Forum

ND Blown Call

Horshack26

Just a question...

Who is going to suspend (or fire) Greg Sheppard for his blown call in the championship game of the frozen four? Didn't Randy Schmidt get suspended (and never reffed again if I recall?) for a similar call earlier this year when he disallowed a goal in a Wisc. vs Denver game? The WCHA needs to crackdown on their officials and get rid of guys like Sheppard!!

Your thoughts??

Just a question...

Who is going to suspend (or fire) Greg Sheppard for his blown call in the championship game of the frozen four? Didn't Randy Schmidt get suspended (and never reffed again if I recall?) for a similar call earlier this year when he disallowed a goal in a Wisc. vs Denver game? The WCHA needs to crackdown on their officials and get rid of guys like Sheppard!!

Your thoughts??

I'd love to see the video of the call. Regardless of last nights game, there is no question that the WCHA needs to address the officiating issues. I wondered last night how Gerbe would perform playing a full season in the WCHA and having to deal with getting mugged every weekend. Not to take anything away from what a truely great player he is, but I have to think it would make a difference.

The question I have is who makes the decision to replace McLeod and/or Sheppard? Is this voted on by the league schools?

I'll disagree. I think it was the right call. The forward clearly kicks the puck (albeit towards his stick rather than towards the goal) and the angle of that action results in the puck going into the net. I realize that the rule states it needs to be directed toward the crease, and it was "sort of". I think the question is would you allow it if it was the game winner with 0:03 seconds left? I think not, because it was debatable. While this call clearly influences the outcome of the game, it did not "give" a win or a loss. The key piece is that the BC defenseman ties up the ND forwards stick and drives him to safety. If he failsin that endeavor it is a tap-in goal that would stand regardless.

There was no way that shouldn't have been a goal. They said the rule is a kicking motion towards the goal line. The commentators said they got a note from greg sheppherd explaining his call. that he made a kicking motion with the right skate. The way he was standing to make a kicking motion towards the goal line with his right skate he would of had to kick it with the outside of his skate. (didn't happen) Way to go Greg Shepherd! I knew the WCHA officials could affect the outcome in one more game this year. Figure'd it would probably be a Shepherd. Didn't expect it to be Greg.

I'll disagree. I think it was the right call. The forward clearly kicks the puck (albeit towards his stick rather than towards the goal) and the angle of that action results in the puck going into the net. I realize that the rule states it needs to be directed toward the crease, and it was "sort of". I think the question is would you allow it if it was the game winner with 0:03 seconds left? I think not, because it was debatable. While this call clearly influences the outcome of the game, it did not "give" a win or a loss. The key piece is that the BC defenseman ties up the ND forwards stick and drives him to safety. If he failsin that endeavor it is a tap-in goal that would stand regardless.

what video were you watching? that was clearly a goal.

The pass hits the ND forward's left skate and ricochets toward his right skate. He kicks it up to his stick, and makes a second, follow-up effort to kick it again and misses. He tries to knock the puck in with his stick, and the BC defender ties up his stick and clears him away from the crease. The puck went in because he kicked at it. Again, he was kicking at it to get it up to his stick to knock in a gimme, but the BC defender cleaned him out of there and it was no goal. If that were a Gopher forward against the Sioux, no way would we want that to stand.

The pass hits the ND forward's left skate and ricochets toward his right skate. He kicks it up to his stick, and makes a second, follow-up effort to kick it again and misses. He tries to knock the puck in with his stick, and the BC defender ties up his stick and clears him away from the crease. The puck went in because he kicked at it. Again, he was kicking at it to get it up to his stick to knock in a gimme, but the BC defender cleaned him out of there and it was no goal. If that were a Gopher forward against the Sioux, no way would we want that to stand.

Tried to kick it with right skate to stick, but totally missed it; the puck went in as a result of deflecting off his left skate, no kicking motion involved . It was clearly the wrong call.

Thanks for the link opn the goal...actually the first time I watched the play, was in the middle of my long and depressing drive back from Denver while the game was being played!

I now agree with the call on the ice...that was the correct call, my opinion. Even though it was real subtle, there definately was a kicking motion from the ND player of the puck towards the net. (subtle because it was a straight leg kicking motion and not as obvious as others)

Still, doesn't change the fact that the WCHA needs to review their officials!!

About the Oshie goal...thought the same thing when I saw it, probably reversed...until I read the exact wording in the rule book. Oshie did a great job of redirecting the puck without a kicking motion!

Stache or No Stache, I will always ride with pride - Go Sioux!!

they showed over & over in slow motion & yes he may have made a motion to kick at it but clearly missed - I think it was more just moving his foot - the call by the ref should have decided it - it could of made a huge difference - or at least kept the game interesting - but I'll admidt BC was the best team

they showed over & over in slow motion & yes he may have made a motion to kick at it but clearly missed - I think it was more just moving his foot - the call by the ref should have decided it - it could of made a huge difference - or at least kept the game interesting - but I'll admidt BC was the best team

I agree. The slo mo close up replays on TV showed that he clearly kicked after the puck was headed in and he clearly missed with the kick.

He missed on his kick after his original kick up towards his stick. He made a clear effort to play the puck with his feet, albeit once again, to then try and play the puck with his stick. Had he not tried to play the puck with his skate, i.e. it just defelected off his skate and in, then I call it a goal. However, it was clear to me that he "played" the puck off his skates and it went in.

DO you really believe that they would blow a call after a five to ten minute video review in the national championship game? They made the right call.

watch the video closely....the pass come off his one skate, and before he can do anything with his other leg, a BC player pushed his leg out with his stick...so whether he was planning on kicking it or not, he didnt even have control of the motion his leg made because it was moved by the stick of the BC player...the goal should have counted.

DO you really believe that they would blow a call after a five to ten minute video review in the national championship game? They made the right call.

I don't think they did make the right call. The motion he made to trap the puck was not a distinct kicking motion. The puck redirected in off the original trap.

It doesn't really matter. Goals are hard enough to come by in today's hockey they should simply allow anything off a skate to count.

The rule is bad and the call that was made could have been called correctly with sound reasoning either way. Typically when a play is that close you stick with the call made on the ice.

All you have to say is Shepturd's name and it is pretty much self explanatory. They did not make the right call in this situation.

watch the video closely....the pass come off his one skate, and before he can do anything with his other leg, a BC player pushed his leg out with his stick...so whether he was planning on kicking it or not, he didnt even have control of the motion his leg made because it was moved by the stick of the BC player...the goal should have counted.

Excellent post. The BC player stick does appear to cause the foot to move back (watch the follow through as well). If the rule states "distinct kicking motion toward the goal" then the goal should be allowed to stand. He was trying to trap the puck and the BC stick caused the leg and foot to move backwards. Anyone have the actual rule?

That's the way it looked from a little sports bar in Bowman, ND the college hockey viewing hot bed. :)

I agree the goal should have stood, the forward motion of his skate came after the puck left it. I do however understand why they waved it off, there was a distinct kicking motion even if it was towards the boards and not the net, the angle that the puck came off his skate made it look like he kicked it in. If he would have not kicked at the puck the first time and let it deflect in off his skate the goal would have stood and the game would have changed. It's over now and I had a great time in denver, thanks to all the fans I met, and our bus driver for bringing a busload of us for wine and spirits after our tough loss :)

I think it is funny that we complain about the horrible officials that the WCHA has then Shepherd Junior and Senior get to the national scene

and stink up the joint, I saw over on INCH that they were complaining about JR last weekend. Funny thing is Todd Anderson did an ok job during the playoffs this season. I like when the other league teams get to see that our officals are just as bad as we say they are. I would be willing to bet that Greg Shepherd wont see another NCAA tourney.

So if Todd Anderson can do a good job during the NCAA tourney what is wrong with him when he is reffing against the Sioux?

If Zelkin is one of the better officials in the league why isn't he rewarded with an NCAA appearance? I think there needs to be an investigation into the WCHA officals by the NCAA.

I think it is funny that we complain about the horrible officials that the WCHA has then Shepherd Junior and Senior get to the national scene

and stink up the joint, I saw over on INCH that they were complaining about JR last weekend. Funny thing is Todd Anderson did an ok job during the playoffs this season. I like when the other league teams get to see that our officals are just as bad as we say they are. I would be willing to bet that Greg Shepherd wont see another NCAA tourney.

So if Todd Anderson can do a good job during the NCAA tourney what is wrong with him when he is reffing against the Sioux?

If Zelkin is one of the better officials in the league why isn't he rewarded with an NCAA appearance? I think there needs to be an investigation into the WCHA officals by the NCAA.

Hey Goon, send a letter to Miles Brand, and let him know that then. I doubt he'd even know what hockey is, though. Oh, and since we support the "hostile and abusive" school, then you'd better lie in your letter and claim to be either a Badger or a Gopher fan. :) THEN, he might actually listen. I totally agree with you on Shepard and his incompetence, though.