SiouxSports.com Forum

One more thing to bash while we are at it...

Big A HG

It seems like discussing a coaching change given the unexpectedly poor performance of the Sioux in the last game and in recent NCAA final four games is at least an appropriate topic given the forum, whereas calling the other posters on this board ignorant and bull$%!# is a violation of forum rules. UND put up a poor performance and was poorly prepared for their semifinal game, and I don't see how pretending that all's well and good serves any fan's purpose - even those fans who don green-colored glasses so they can pretend to be somehow better than those who wish to discuss current topics and issues.

John

Discussing performance is one thing, saying Hak should be fired because of it is totally unacceptable. People who post mindless ilk like that and things like "official Joe Finley bashing" threads are nothing more than ignorant. But, that's the way you guys want this board to be so that's fine. I can't wait until one someone files a lawsuit and costs you guys big time, and you know it could happen because although you say you try to keep things in line you don't. Let's be honest, thats why PCM isn't around here anymore, he doesn't want to be associated with it when the !@#$ hits the fan. Keep up the good work boys. Sooner or later your lack of responsibilty is going to catch up with you. Try to justify any way you want but you (Jim, and all moderators) know that it ain't BS.

Triouxp: here's my take.

1. Discussing (poor) performance here is no different than raving about a fantastic play; acceptable expression of personal opinion.

2. Positing that Hak should be fired (with which I vehemently disagree) is also an acceptable expression of personal opinion.

3. The "official bash Joe Finley" thread probably reaches the threshold of unacceptable, although I tend to err toward the most liberal definition of freedom of expression. I don't mind that some posters criticize certain players for a poor play; I've done it myself on occasion. There are limits, though.

I'd draw the line at personal attacks directed at other posters. Calling another poster an a**hole is uncalled for. Calling their opinion flawed, even stupid, seems acceptable, however. Attack the opinion to your heart's content; please stop short of a personal attack. This is directed at all posters.

As to a lawsuit being filed: I fail to find a legal basis. I don't think we can sue just because someone thinks we are stupid and says so here. Now, if you were to release those photos of me that were covered under that non-disclosure agreement you signed, well that's a whole different story. :)

As to a lawsuit being filed: I fail to find a legal basis. I don't think we can sue just because someone thinks we are stupid and says so here. Now, if you were to release those photos of me that were covered under that non-disclosure agreement you signed, well that's a whole different story. :)

Seriously? With today's civil law system and the lawyers out there who are masters at word manipulation, you can sue for just about anything! The days of frivilous lawsuits are just because the lawyer didn't word the lawsuit very well.

/bitterness

There's no shame here for our players. Our season should have been over in Madison and I think we know who to thank for his efforts. Anybody that watches hockey could see how fast and skilled BC was in the last 2 FF against the Sioux and if you watched the Minnesota/BC game you also should have gotten a clue.

Change is needed. Change will come.

It is silly to suggest that they are going to fire the coach. I believe change might be coming because we are going to have

a significantly different roster next season.

1. Discussing (poor) performance here is no different than raving about a fantastic play; acceptable expression of personal opinion.

2. Positing that Hak should be fired (with which I vehemently disagree) is also an acceptable expression of personal opinion.

3. The "official bash Joe Finley" thread probably reaches the threshold of unacceptable, although I tend to err toward the most liberal definition of freedom of expression. I don't mind that some posters criticize certain players for a poor play; I've done it myself on occasion. There are limits, though.

I'd draw the line at personal attacks directed at other posters. Calling another poster an a**hole is uncalled for. Calling their opinion flawed, even stupid, seems acceptable, however. Attack the opinion to your heart's content; please stop short of a personal attack. This is directed at all posters.

I don't have a problem with constructive criticism, most people here can't figure out what that is. As far as a lawsuit, I guess everyone convenientl forgets the whole buning debacle just a few months ago. I know it was mentioned more than once about legal action against some of those posters. But hey, buning was a stand up guy and didn't deserve the treatment he got. Like RW said, in this day and age don't be suprised about anything. One other thing mike, I respectfully disagree about posting things like"fire the whole staff." It is nothing more than ignorance, and you know it.

The biggest travesty in Trioup's suspension was that he was only defending a player against ridiculous speculation and accusations regarding his run in with the authorities. All sorts of posters already had him guilty, sentencing complete, how much time he'll do for violating probation, etc. etc. before anyone had any facts. When the facts finally were made known, it was too late then, the suspension had already been handed down, and heaven forbid we reinstate someone.

Meanwhile Dean still attacks Goon almost daily, but it's all good.

The biggest travesty in Trioup's suspension was that he was only defending a player against ridiculous speculation and accusations regarding his run in with the authorities. All sorts of posters already had him guilty, sentencing complete, how much time he'll do for violating probation, etc. etc. before anyone had any facts. When the facts finally were made known, it was too late then, the suspension had already been handed down, and heaven forbid we reinstate someone.

Meanwhile Dean still attacks Goon almost daily, but it's all good.

Thanks Bob. Are you sure you want to be associated with an outcast like myself? :)

Why are you worreed about a few posters if you are not worried about the players? The posters on this borad (my guess) are older than the players they are criticizing. That part is always frustrating to me. THEY ARE KIDS!!! Most of the people who participate on this board do not have a clue what it takes to get to this level. Appreciate their dedication and drive, remeber they are kids and enjoy the hell out of the success of the program.

I am not against the passion as all of us lives and dies with the Sioux but use some disceretion before you start a post attacking a player, etc.. I believe the moderateors should weed out this S____!

BD

Absolutely! More than likely, we're all just a bunch of outcasts here anyway!

Yeah, however, the good ol' boys on this board will tell you to pack it up and leave if you don't like it rather than fixing the real problems. I was under the impression that a public forum was not run that way but obviously I'm way off base.

Why are you worreed about a few posters if you are not worried about the players? The posters on this borad (my guess) are older than the players they are criticizing. That part is always frustrating to me. THEY ARE KIDS!!! Most of the people who participate on this board do not have a clue what it takes to get to this level. Appreciate their dedication and drive, remeber they are kids and enjoy the hell out of the success of the program.

I am not against the passion as all of us lives and dies with the Sioux but use some disceretion before you start a post attacking a player, etc.. I believe the moderateors should weed out this S____!

BD

Big time programs like UND, UoM, Michigan are stepping stones to NHL careers. These are not "kids", these are young men, many of whom are about to become very wealthy playing at the highest level. This isn't some DIII program with a bunch of scrappy walk-ons. This isn't high school.

This program, and the elite athletes it brings in, can take a bit of criticism. It won't hurt their delicate feelings. I won't question a player's heart myself..but most definitely can question effort, decision making and skill level. Same goes with the coaching staff.

It's a privilege to play for the University of North Dakota, it's a privilege to watch them play, but this isn't Princeton, where just showing up was an accomplishment. You don't get a 100 million dollar arena to call home, you don't get 11,000 passionate fans every weekend, and you don't get the absolute best road following in college hockey and just expect everyone to pat you on your head and give you a participation medal.

1 thread was started with "Fire Hakstol" and I don't think there were more than 2 or three people agreeing with that statement. Yet it's been blown up into some mass movement to can the coach. 1 thread was started with the "Bash Joe Finley"...how many actual SS.com posters actually agreed with that sentiment?...yet again, many people seem to be latching on to that as if it is indicitive of some vast majority of sioux fans.

Big time programs like UND, UoM, Michigan are stepping stones to NHL careers. These are not "kids", these are young men, many of whom are about to become very wealthy playing at the highest level. This isn't some DIII program with a bunch of scrappy walk-ons. This isn't high school.

This program, and the elite athletes it brings in, can take a bit of criticism. It won't hurt their delicate feelings. I won't question a player's heart myself..but most definitely can question effort, decision making and skill level. Same goes with the coaching staff.

It's a privilege to play for the University of North Dakota, it's a privilege to watch them play, but this isn't Princeton, where just showing up was an accomplishment. You don't get a 100 million dollar arena to call home, you don't get 11,000 passionate fans every weekend, and you don't get the absolute best road following in college hockey and just expect everyone to pat you on your head and give you a participation medal.

1 thread was started with "Fire Hakstol" and I don't think there were more than 2 or three people agreeing with that statement. Yet it's been blown up into some mass movement to can the coach. 1 thread was started with the "Bash Joe Finley"...how many actual SS.com posters actually agreed with that sentiment?...yet again, many people seem to be latching on to that as if it is indicitive of some vast majority of sioux fans.

Agree with most every thing you stated.

My point was that someone was worried about a posters feelings but does't worry about ripping a player. Even though the majority of the rips made on this board (and others) are by people who understand very little about the game. I agree that the opinions expressed in these posts are not shared by the majority of Sioux fans. It is frustrating to see this type of stuff brought up because it takes away from a very successful year and program.

I don't mind constructive discussion about what they could do better, etc.. I just think that too many fans believe it is a given that we will win every year. It takes alot of luck on top of all the other intangibles to win the Championship. In a one and done tournament often the best team doesn't win.

Also, less than 10% of these players will ever make it in the NHL. That is not an opinion it is a fact.

BD

Agree with most every thing you stated.

My point was that someone was worried about a posters feelings but does't worry about ripping a player. Even though the majority of the rips made on this board (and others) are by people who understand very little about the game. I agree that the opinions expressed in these posts are not shared by the majority of Sioux fans. It is frustrating to see this type of stuff brought up because it takes away from a very successful year and program.

I don't mind constructive discussion about what they could do better, etc.. I just think that too many fans believe it is a given that we will win every year. It takes alot of luck on top of all the other intangibles to win the Championship. In a one and done tournament often the best team doesn't win.

Also, less than 10% of these players will ever make it in the NHL. That is not an opinion it is a fact.

BD

You are so right about almost everything on this comment. Lets think about his for just a little. How long have we been a program, and how many championships have we won. Now lets do the math. Yes we won in 97 and in 2000, but how many years did we not win. At the start of the year, I am hoping that we can have home ice in the playoffs, so we have a good chance to make it to the Final Five, have a good showing there, and then use that as a spring board to the NCAA's. This is all so that we can have a chance at playing for a Championship. We can't expect, nor are we entitled to a championship every year. As a Sioux Hockey fan, I love the fact that we are more competitive than most other programs, and have a perannial shot at going deep in the playoffs, but we are not promised anything, and it gives all all something to be a Proud North Dakotan Over. GO SIOUX!!!

[rant]

So many Sioux fans make being a Sioux fan a joke. To see everyone just ripping apart a few people for not winning a hockey game is unbelievable. Do some of you honestly believe that these guys aren't trying to win or something? It's an embarrassment to see and hear what's all being said. When you lose 6-1, it's a team thing, not something caused by a few individuals.

So many of you are on and off the bandwagon all year, every year, and need to just stay off. If they are so horrible, don't even waste your time cheering for them if you are just going to rip them the next day. Many of you are spoiled crybabies...spoiled being the key word.

So many teams wish they could even sniff a chance at a game like this. 55 other teams dreamed they even had an oppurtunity to lose 6-1 just so they could have that chance at winning. Some teams will NEVER make it this far. Us..? We take it for granted that we'll be here, and some appreciate it, and some abuse it.

Hakstol is a great coach. Finley is a great defenseman. Lamoureux is a great goaltender. Almost every team wishes they could have our facilities, our coaching, and many of our players. Hell, even the NHL wishes they had some of our players.

Next year, when we are at it again with a fresh new team and a clean slate, I hope many of you are not a part of it, because it is a complete joke that some of you call yourself "fans."

If there is anything to bash, it's you.

[/rant]

PS: Go Notre Dame!

very good post. The thing is though I think a lot of fans miss the high flying sioux hockey game we saw when we won national championships.

No one had a good game on thursday and to watch them just quit after they got a few goals scored on em was just horrible. I do believe though that lammy should have been pulled, he is a great goaltender, but he was having a horrible night, and so was his defense, maybe a change in goal would have sparked the team like it did with michigan and we would have had a chance. Honestly though, I don't think anything would have changed, it just seemed the loss was inevitable.

We get a fresh start next year, and I don't think we need a coaching change, Hak is a great coach, I just think he needs to rethink his system, dump and cycle and depend on your goalie to win u 1 goal games does not cut it in the NCAA tournament, works well in the WCHA at times, not always, at times. We need to go back to more of a speed system with good fundamentals, just my two cents. He has used the same gameplan for 3 years in a row against BC and it keeps getting worse, 6-5 6-4 6-1. I know this team had a lot potential, they had heart, they just didn't come to play on thursday.

I don't know what it is, but I hope hak figures out a way to get his guys to get up for big games or else we will keep seeing this year after year.

I know that I said that I was done posting. I feel that somethings need to be said. I do stand behind my statement. It was not because of what happened Thursday night. I have felt this way for a while. I felt that when Hak was hired, the hiring should have come from outside the program. I am sorry if others do not have my same feels about this. I understand that we have made it deep into the playoff on a yearly bases, but not have a title does upset me. I thought that if I was to post on this site that I was allow to be able to have discussions like I would if I were among friends. Believe you me that this subject has been talked about. By my posting I have been put through the ringer. I have never personally attached others on this site like I have been. My member name is egfhosejockey not egfHOSEHOUND. I am sorry but that was not called for. For of you who do not know what a Hose Jockey is, it is a term given to firefighters. I am not playing the firefighter card here, but I take pride in the name that I use. I will offer this to the people that run this board, if what I posted was out of line then let me know and I will no longer post here. I will be visiting SiouxSport.com because of the other sections on this board.

Mike P

egfhosejockey

I know that I said that I was done posting. I feel that somethings need to be said. I do stand behind my statement. It was not because of what happened Thursday night. I have felt this way for a while. I felt that when Hak was hired, the hiring should have come from outside the program. I am sorry if others do not have my same feels about this. I understand that we have made it deep into the playoff on a yearly bases, but not have a title does upset me. I thought that if I was to post on this site that I was allow to be able to have discussions like I would if I were among friends. Believe you me that this subject has been talked about. By my posting I have been put through the ringer. I have never personally attached others on this site like I have been. My member name is egfhosejockey not egfHOSEHOUND. I am sorry but that was not called for. For of you who do not know what a Hose Jockey is, it is a term given to firefighters. I am not playing the firefighter card here, but I take pride in the name that I use. I will offer this to the people that run this board, if what I posted was out of line then let me know and I will no longer post here. I will be visiting SiouxSport.com because of the other sections on this board.

Mike Peterson

egfhosejockey

why hire outside the program? Hak was Blais's assitant for years and when you are looking for someone to take over a top notch program like UND you diffently look within the program instead of going out looking for someone new. i for one am glad that UND hired within the program! college hockey programs are getting better and better each year and with the "one and done" or "two and done" college player its hard to build your program around them. the difference between blais's teams and hak's teams is that blais had players that stuck around for awhile and were more of the "role" player type where as hak has the two to three year player and leaves. is it a commitment thing with the players and coaches? i dont think so, i just think its they way hockey is going these days...more money is getting thrown at these kids at a young age and it is getting harder and harder to pass it up...it has hit college football programs and basketball programs and now it has finally hit college hockey!

why hire outside the program? Hak was Blais's assitant for years and when you are looking for someone to take over a top notch program like UND you diffently look within the program instead of going out looking for someone new. i for one am glad that UND hired within the program! college hockey programs are getting better and better each year and with the "one and done" or "two and done" college player its hard to build your program around them. the difference between blais's teams and hak's teams is that blais had players that stuck around for awhile and were more of the "role" player type where as hak has the two to three year player and leaves. is it a commitment thing with the players and coaches? i dont think so, i just think its they way hockey is going these days...more money is getting thrown at these kids at a young age and it is getting harder and harder to pass it up...it has hit college football programs and basketball programs and now it has finally hit college hockey!

Hak was hired precisely for that among other things.

A list?

1. Blais' choice for a replacement

2. Did a great percentage of the recruiting (especially defense) under Blais

3. Proven recruiter without Blais (his years with the USHL)

4. He was better qualified all around than the others. Yeah, Steve Johnson would have been a great coach, but he didn't have the educational requirements. John Marks has a checkered past and there's questions about his ability to recruit. I can't remember who else applied...

I think they made the right choice.

Hak was hired precisely for that among other things.

A list?

1. Blais' choice for a replacement

2. Did a great percentage of the recruiting (especially defense) under Blais

3. Proven recruiter without Blais (his years with the USHL)

4. He was better qualified all around than the others. Yeah, Steve Johnson would have been a great coach, but he didn't have the educational requirements. John Marks has a checkered past and there's questions about his ability to recruit. I can't remember who else applied...

I think they made the right choice.

I agree and think they made the right choice, he is a great coach and has gotten us to the frozen four for 4 years in a row! His team did not come to play, if we saw the sioux team we say in the second period against cc in the final five 3rd place game, we would have taken home some hardware.

However I do think hak has some issues either getting his team ready to play or lighting a fire under thier ass during a game.