SiouxSports.com Forum

Low number of UW fans in Madison.

Let'sGoHawks!

Sorry, but I had to mention this. How can you only have 9500 fans in a building that holds 15K for both Badger games? Throw in the fact that 1-2K were Sioux fans...and it is a joke. UW people will say their fans were all out with the basketball team and they have more teams to support than the Sioux, give me a break! 40,000 or so students, half a million people in the metro area, you would think they would show up for their team. When your team is playing in a huge game like this, you have to show up.

Anyway. GO SIOUX!

Sorry, but I had to mention this. How can you only have 9500 fans in a building that holds 15K for both Badger games? Throw in the fact that 1-2K were Sioux fans...and it is a joke. UW people will say their fans were all out with the basketball team and they have more teams to support than the Sioux, give me a break! 40,000 or so students, half a million people in the metro area, you would think they would show up for their team. When your team is playing in a huge game like this, you have to show up.

Anyway. GO SIOUX!

We were thinking the same thing. They get big crowds all year long, and then have a measly showing at the Regional!! What's with that?

The same thing happened a few years ago at The John when the Gophers hosted a regional. A great day weather-wise, and the Gophers were playing to go to the Frozen Four. You couldn't give tickets away on the street. It was the year, as I recall, that Cornell, Maine, and maybe Ohio State were in the West.

Go Sioux too!! We have the best fans in the world, and that was proven again throughout Madison, in The Kohl, and in sportsbars everywhere, from Australia to The Netherlands, from Anchorage to Brazil, from Timbuktu to Tibet, all across America, and especially in Grand Forks and in the heart of so-called Gold Country.

Also I noticed that the arena was pretty empty for the UND/Princeton game.

It seems to me that the Ralph was jam packed for the Gophers/Holy Cross game.

Why is it that the NCAA doesn't want UND to host another regional. Sometimes they are all about the money but then they turn around and forgo the payoff when it doesn't affect the integrity of the brackets.

We were thinking the same thing. They get big crowds all year long, and then have a measly showing at the Regional!! What's with that?

The same thing happened a few years ago at The John when the Gophers hosted a regional. A great day weather-wise, and the Gophers were playing to go to the Frozen Four. You couldn't give tickets away on the street. It was the year, as I recall, that Cornell, Maine, and maybe Ohio State were in the West.

Go Sioux too!! We have the best fans in the world, and that was proven again throughout Madison, in The Kohl, and in sportsbars everywhere, from Australia to The Netherlands, from Anchorage to Brazil, from Timbuktu to Tibet, all across America, and especially in Grand Forks and in the heart of so-called Gold Country.

I was also surprised to see so many empty seats in the Kohl center. But it was sure fun battling the badger student section cheer for cheer. Hats off to Wisky, they put up a heckuva effort...but this Sioux team knows what it takes to win.

On to Denver...where the Sioux have unfinished business with the Eagles. Something about dueling goose-eggs, but my memory is foggy...

But here's the deal. 3 years to the FF...and no hardware. Yet. It's time for #8.

GO SIOUX!!!!

IMHO, I think it was pretty stupid scheduling a Saturday-Sunday tourney anyway. Sunday is a travel day for alot of people, especially those with jobs that take them out of town frequently, as well as out-of-town fans. (I watched part of the BC game and the UND game at a bar in NYC with some British lawyers.) I presume a Friday-Saturday event would have seen better attendance. Then again, given Wisco's overall record their "fans" probably had other things to do. ;)

I agree! We were at Sensor's last night in Bloomington - there had to be 100+ Sioux fans in there. I have never heard a restaurant be so loud!

Two more W's for #8!

Go Sioux!

Anyway. GO SIOUX!

I was at the game. The whole upper section was empty! I think there was less last night than there was on Saturday night!

Bring the regional back to Grand Forks. Also, Grand Forks (along with other WCHA cities) deserves an opportunity to host the WCHA Final 5!

Why in God's green earth would the WCHA ever leave the X? It is within easy driving distance for 6 teams and is 20 minutes from one of the most accesible airports in the US. Plus, the X my not be a plush as the Ralph, but its one of the top 5 hockey arena's in the world and holds about 7,000 more than the Ralph. Add those to the fact that GF honestly doesn't have the hotels, food or the night scene that the Twin Cites have.

Hey, I love The Ralph as much as everyone else, but why screw with perfetion? IMO the WCHA Final Five is the best weekend of hockey all year.

We went down to Madison this weekend for a trip we had planned months ago. Just so happens the Sioux were playing as well so we went down to the arena to see if we could get tickets. There were so few people there it was unreal. The Sioux fans had filled one entire section in the lower bowl and were also scattered around the arena. We definitely had a nice showing there.

One of the problems was the Kohl center would NOT let people leave between or during the games and come back in. So if you were a Badgers fan who wanted to watch the Sioux game and then the Badgers game you would have to sit in the arena for over 7 hours and be unable to leave for dinner or a drink. That's a terrible rule IMO only derived to make people buy more concessions.

I agree! We were at Sensor's last night in Bloomington - there had to be 100+ Sioux fans in there. I have never heard a restaurant be so loud!

Two more W's for #8!

Go Sioux!

word. The one in Roseville was rocking too. Not quite that many fans, but still a lot. Place cleared out after the Sioux game :lol:

Dubay picked us to beat BC this morning. ;)

word. The one in Roseville was rocking too. Not quite that many fans, but still a lot. Place cleared out after the Sioux game :D

Dubay picked us to beat BC this morning. :lol:

I'm going to pretend I didn't read that.

(or isnt he the one that gives us the "Kiss of Death".)

We went down to Madison this weekend for a trip we had planned months ago. Just so happens the Sioux were playing as well so we went down to the arena to see if we could get tickets. There were so few people there it was unreal. The Sioux fans had filled one entire section in the lower bowl and were also scattered around the arena. We definitely had a nice showing there.

One of the problems was the Kohl center would NOT let people leave between or during the games and come back in. So if you were a Badgers fan who wanted to watch the Sioux game and then the Badgers game you would have to sit in the arena for over 7 hours and be unable to leave for dinner or a drink. That's a terrible rule IMO only derived to make people buy more concessions.

That is a general NCAA rule put in place for the NCAA to get more of what it wants out of venues that host events like this. I am guessing the NCAA pays next to nothing for the overall use of the venues but gets to keep the vast majority of ticket sales. Add that on top of the NCAA controlling and limiting advertising and not allowing alcohol sales during the events, the venues don't get much in return except maybe recovery of some overhead costs. This rule allows the biggest money maker for a venue to maximize sales, have to love captive audiences. I know that one particular venue makes on average $5 per person for an event when alcohol is not sold and jumps to $9 per person when alcohol is sold and this is just for your typical 3 hour event. I am sure every hour you add on top of that the number grows exponentially.

Is it a bad rule, yes (arena seats are not made for 7+ hours of sitting) but it is what it is.

Wow. I passed on making the trip for Sunday's game because I figured tickets would be hard to come by thanks to Wisconsin's win against Denver on Saturday. Apparently there were thousands of good seats still available.

I think the ESPNU announcers commented a dozen times last night "the atmosphere here is unbelievable." Gee, a regional game where the home team is playing. Whooda thunk the atmosphere would be loud? :lol:

word. The one in Roseville was rocking too. Not quite that many fans, but still a lot. Place cleared out after the Sioux game :D

Dubay picked us to beat BC this morning. :lol:

We were at Tailgaters in Fargo last night...the place was full of Sioux fans...great reaction after Kozek's game winner.

Sunday attandance at the Kohl center was 9816, 150 poeple less then were at the Saturday game 9968. I guess there were 148 Princeton fans and 2 denver fans that didn't come back.

Esox

I think you're grossly over-estimating the number of Pioneer fans in attendance.

Just have to share a story of a Badger student.

A very irritating fan a few rows behind us was one of the top hecklers in the area. He kept yelling at

Man-i-no. Finally the friend sitting next to him said "That's not even how you say his name, ya dumbazz". He replies, "Can I help it if I can't say someones name that ends in 2 vowels?" I couldn't do much other than turn around and just look at him, with I'd assume a pretty stupid/questionable look on my face. Don't think he ever figured it out, as he kept calling him Man-i-no. UW tuition at it's best.

Just have to share a story of a Badger student.

A very irritating fan a few rows behind us was one of the top hecklers in the area. He kept yelling at

Man-i-no. Finally the friend sitting next to him said "That's not even how you say his name, ya dumbazz". He replies, "Can I help it if I can't say someones name that ends in 2 vowels?" I couldn't do much other than turn around and just look at him, with I'd assume a pretty stupid/questionable look on my face. Don't think he ever figured it out, as he kept calling him Man-i-no. UW tuition at it's best.

I doubt it. Probably a U of M student wearing red because he hates the Sioux so much. :lol: