SiouxSports.com Forum

Low number of UW fans in Madison.

Let'sGoHawks!

I have a friend that goes to UW that said the tickets were expensive, even for students, something tells me that deters from it. Plus the state is still in mourning cause Favre retired. Have the flags been raised from half staff?

It was kind of expensive, in that it was $40 for the saturday ticket, but the ticket was good for both games that day. You couldn't buy a $20 for JUST the sioux game. It was both, or nothing. We got tickets for half that from a scalper...

We (my wife and I) were at the games too and were surprised at the number of tickets for sale outside the arena on Sunday and the dusty empty seats all around. Watching the goal scored and seeing the Sioux raise their sticks as it went in while seeing the mass of red leave the building was like Moses lifting his staff with the Red Sea parting! After the game we made our way near the tunnel. Haks came by the faithful Sioux fans with double arms pumping. As the players came through my wife gave Oshie a high five and his glove came off and the next thing I knew she was holding it! I shouted "give it back give it back!" Oshies eyes just lit up and the smiles were great from this group as they headed towards their locker room. Sad to say after attending 19 games in person this year we can't make the trip to Denver. Oh and the ride home from Madison this a.m. was very quiet. Both of us had almost no voice left from last night. It was a great weekend. Finish the Mission Sioux!

We (my wife and I) were at the games too and were surprised at the number of tickets for sale outside the arena on Sunday and the dusty empty seats all around. Watching the goal scored and seeing the Sioux raise their sticks as it went in while seeing the mass of red leave the building was like Moses lifting his staff with the Red Sea parting! After the game we made our way near the tunnel. Haks came by the faithful Sioux fans with double arms pumping. As the players came through my wife gave Oshie a high five and his glove came off and the next thing I knew she was holding it! I shouted "give it back give it back!" Oshies eyes just lit up and the smiles were great from this group as they headed towards their locker room. Sad to say after attending 19 games in person this year we can't make the trip to Denver. Oh and the ride home from Madison this a.m. was very quiet. Both of us had almost no voice left from last night. It was a great weekend. Finish the Mission Sioux!

That post gave me goosebumps as i rewatch it all on DVR!! Glad u had a great time, one that will not be soon forgotten!!

Why in God's green earth would the WCHA ever leave the X? It is within easy driving distance for 6 teams and is 20 minutes from one of the most accesible airports in the US. Plus, the X my not be a plush as the Ralph, but its one of the top 5 hockey arena's in the world and holds about 7,000 more than the Ralph. Add those to the fact that GF honestly doesn't have the hotels, food or the night scene that the Twin Cites have.

Hey, I love The Ralph as much as everyone else, but why screw with perfetion? IMO the WCHA Final Five is the best weekend of hockey all year.

Agreed. There is no way this event is leaving the X any time soon. It is the most logical place for the games because it is the most centrally located facility that can handle the fans, etc.. Also, the WCHA and Teams love the cash that comes from this event. I believe every team in the league gets financial benefit from the attendence and no other location can match the attendence level they are currently achieving in St. Paul.

The Goofs do get a home ice advantage but that is a small issue to fans only. Just listen to comments from Coaches and the WCHA Commissioner. McLeod actually was quoted saying that the WCHA office was concerned about attendence at this years event if the Goofs did not make it.

It is the best event in College Hockey. The Frozen Four doesn't draw as well as the Final 5. I know they sell out but half the people don't show up. The X is almost always packed for every game. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

BD