SiouxSports.com Forum

Jackrabbits aren't leaving just yet

star2city

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two legislators that are leading this bill happen to be two of the least respected officals in Pierre. I would say there chances of getting this thing off the ground are slim to none. I would say your predictions of SDSU staying in the NCC have no chance.

Perfectly understandable. No use torturing yourself.

Besides, there's no use clogging cyberspace and computers with the extra-large Jpegs that would drive the internet into reverse, let alone slow it down. I'm sure the 'SU cheerleading team might appeal to convicts, the Stridex set, the mentally challenged and certain fans of the Lynx, but that stuff probably won't fly here.

• 2 weeks later...

PCM,

Glad to see your keeping up with the SDSU student newspaper. Could you be

a closet Jack fan? As I mentioned in a previous post I spoke to a couple of legislators who informed me the two legislators who are looking to sponsor this bill were soundly shot down last year and will certainly meet the same fate this year. They also happen to be the least respected lawmakers in Pierre and thus have no credibility. Those of us who support the D1 move which are a much larger majority than these two clowns understand couldn't have handpicked two better candidates to lead and take the stand against SDSU going D1. I think UND faithful should spend more time gathering support for your own eventual move than paying attention to these grandstanding legislators who's bill is DOA!

Glad to see your keeping up with the SDSU student newspaper. Could you be a closet Jack fan?

I never quit being a Jacks fan. It's just that SDSU doesn't play hockey, my favorite sport, and livng in Grand Forks makes it a bit difficult to keep up with the Rabbits. But I do try to keep tabs on them and I cheer them on when the opportunity arises.

As I mentioned in a previous post I spoke to a couple of legislators who informed me the two legislators who are looking to sponsor this bill were soundly shot down last year and will certainly meet the same fate this year.
Unfortunately, Miller and Oien have given the disgruntled legislators more to work with this time around. Don't be surprised if their effort has more support next session, especially given the bad press SDSU's D-IAA plans have been generating.

I think UND faithful should spend more time gathering support for your own eventual move than paying attention to these grandstanding legislators who's bill is DOA!

I am confident that the UND faithful will make the correct decision when the time is right.

I find it comical that the one SDSU fan on the internet seeks to villify anyone who raises a legitimate qualm with how poorly the SDSU leadership has handled this whole Division I situation. Our good friend SDSUFan was all over the Argus Leader on the D2Football board because the paper had the audacity to point out the obvious flaws in Oien and Miller's "leadership" on the issue.

Someone at SDSU needs to answer this: Carr and associates issue their report and insist that having membership in a Division I conference is a must before any move is made. Why would SDSU (or NDSU for that matter) ignore them? Seems that Carr's word is taken as gospel when it supports their point of view, but ignored when it doesn't?

Our good friend SDSUFan was all over the Argus Leader on the D2Football board because the paper had the audacity to point out the obvious flaws in Oien and Miller's "leadership" on the issue.

Pssst! Don't tell anyone, but CRH and SDSUFan are the same person. :D

PCM Posted: Sep 24 2003, 10:49 PM 

I am confident that the UND faithful will make the correct decision when the time is right.

Has the decision already been made?

UND staying in the NCC and remaining Division II is not a bad thing.

Carr and Associates are consultants, not a governing body.

I do think SDSU is gone from the NCC permanently.

I won't vilify you guys but I do roll my eyes every time UND fans express "legitimate concerns" about NDSU or SDSU moving to DI.

tony-

The point is, in my opinion, that there are plenty of articles in SD newspapers critical of SDSU's move and in particular, the about-face on the conference issue. Just because those articles are being linked and/or commented on by UND fans doesn't make them any more or less valid. You may question our motivation, but that doesn't really have anything to do with the underlying issue of whether the SD legislature is going to take some action to either block SDSU's move altogether or at least make it more difficult. I think that's a worthy topic of discussion on this board since it may very well affect the future membership of the NCC.

The point is, in my opinion, that there are plenty of articles in SD newspapers critical of SDSU's move and in particular, the about-face on the conference issue. Just because those articles are being linked and/or commented on by UND fans doesn't make them any more or less valid.

Exactly. At least some of those critical editorials have been written by graduates of SDSU's accredited journalism school.

I have a close relative who's an SDSU alumnus, lives in Brookings and works for a company that stands to profit from SDSU's move to D-IAA. Yet he is against the move and he tells me that many other SDSU alumni and fans are, too. I have relatives in central and western South Dakota who tell me the same thing.

In South Dakota, it's become a political issue that has moved outside the SDSU administration's ability to control. And once it becomes politicized statewide, anything can happen. I'm not saying this will kill SDSU's plans because I honestly don't know.

I won't vilify you guys but I do roll my eyes every time UND fans express "legitimate concerns" about NDSU or SDSU moving to DI.

You confuse "legitimate concern" with "pointing and laughing".

UND has a valid concern with regard to any financial issues 'SU has in going D1. If the numbers don't reach the rose-colored projections Carr et al. have dreamed up, Chaps will probably go "hat in hand" to Bismarck. With regard to SDSU, that's SoDak's deal.

So let me get this straight, SDSU is making the move to D 1, and since we are from UND, we can't comment?

It is their choice, they are leaving, but just because we comment on it, doesn't mean you have to "question our motivation".

It seems to me that there is a lot more opposition to the move at SDSU than at NDSU, and if we want to talk about it here, we can.

I do question the motiviation of UND fans and the administration and it is a HUGE issue for me.

I've been a North Dakota resident for 26 years. I'm a UND fan, a South Dakota native, an SDSU alumnus and a Jackrabbit fan with quite a few years of experience in dealing with the public perception of political issues.

In my opinion, SDSU's administration has dug itself a hole on the D-IAA issue and the hole is only getting deeper. The self-deluding attitude and acerbic comments of CRH and others like him are not helpful to SDSU's image or its cause.

I hope someone at NDSU is taking notes.

You are getting peed on but seem more upset that SDSU and NDSU aren't joining your chorus proclaiming how refreshing it feels. Hallelujah for UND then.

You completely missed my point. Oh well, climb into bed with CRH. You two deserve each other.

PCM and Scottm, look at DII right now....

Think it's bad now? Get ready for worse.

Don't think it's bad now? Hahahahaha!

- USD and Augie are getting kicked around by DIII teams

- UND schedules are looking more and more like Minot State's. Mesa State?

- You'd have been laughed at if you mentioned any of the schools the NCC is considering adding even five years ago (exception of Kearney).

- Every year, a half dozen more schools join DII that make Newberry look like Notre Dame.

- Every year, except when the NCAA prohibited it, DII has lost top quality programs.

You are getting peed on but seem more upset that SDSU and NDSU aren't joining your chorus proclaiming how refreshing it feels. Hallelujah for UND then.

The watering down of division II is one issue. I think we can agree that it is not as good now as it was 5-10 years ago. But the issue involving SDSU's proposed move to division I is another issue, i.e. whether they have gone about it the right way and whether the legislature is going to step in. That is certainly a worthy topic of discussion. Their leadership has mismanaged this by painting themselves into a corner regarding the conference issue, and then doing an about-face. I think you can admit that this could have been handled better. I see no reason for you to get so defensive about us questioning the SDSU brass's handling of the whole issue.

CoteauRink, no you can comment. You just look petty and self-interested doing so.

At the risk of sounding petty and self-interested, why is it that SDSU is more worried about what UND is doing and how bad DII's future looks to them, than focusing on their own big move.

So much hostility in your posts tony. I would think you would be very happy and celebrating your jump up to DI.

Sure, more "Newberry" type schools are coming into DII. So, some of the DIIs jump to DI.

But using the same arguments that the DIIs used to move up, some of the DIs may just decide to do the same. Don't believe me? Read this:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ges/5988680.htm

"The NCAA is a voluntary organization," said Duke's (senior associate athletics director, Chris) Kennedy. "We choose to belong to it, we choose to pay dues."

It's about revenue streams to keep the programs afloat. The superconferences pay the dues, carry the load, and have to revenue share with small schools. Apparently some of them may be tired of it, and, following the examples of NDSU and SDSU "move up," or in this case, move out. Remember, voluntary is their word.

Don't think it's possible? Re-read the quote. It's on the mind of senior athletics adminstrators in a superconference. If it's at Duke, where else is it?

That 2004 NCAA convention relooking at qualifications to play in a division should be really interesting. Who knows what'll shake out. (Re-read the quote.)

Of course, I'm sure UND fans shouldn't be commenting on any of this either.