SiouxSports.com Forum

Jackrabbits aren't leaving just yet

star2city

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm told from a legislator that it won't get that far, in large part because of the people that are sponsoring it. Mike Rounds an SDSU grad has said privately he is in favor of the move. The BOR who voted on the issue last December were largely connected with USD and that alone made me wonder how they would vote. Now, the makeup of the BOR has a majority largely of SDSU grads because of Rounds appointments. I don't know where those regents stand, but I would be surprised if they would want to go against the SDSU administration,Powerful Alumni Assn and Student Assn. I think when it comes right down to it the bill will get raised and than shot down. A lot of the SDSU people who make the larger contributions are behind this move and I believe there will be no turning back! I think Gov Rounds would veto the bill. The positive thing about this whole situation is the passion for SDSU on both sides of the table. I think after the dust settles both sides will come together and put the school first and let the differences die. I think 25-30 years from now people will look back and say this was a great move and the begginning of something special at SDSU and NDSU. If there was no debate and nobody cared than I would be worried. Those people who are against will still come out and support the school and the Jacks.

Interesting article I found recently:

"For the college president and board,

there is clear evidence that (thinking of) significant increases in athletics spending as

the path to new revenue,

better enrollment applications,

more alumni giving

or even more wins

is far from a certain thing"

-- Miles Brand, President, NCAA

http://www.ncaa.org/news/2003/20030818/active/4017n04.html