SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA HOCKEY TOURNEY

AZSIOUX

I am not a gopher fan, but I would REALLY love it if they beat both BC and Miami. BC is and always has been way too arrogant when it comes to WCHA teams and needs a put-down by a WCHA team and Miami is just irritatingly overrated - again, they need a put-down by a WCHA team.

While I'd like to agree with everything you say, I stop immediately after "I am not a gopher fan...". Frankly, I'd love it if UND got a chance to avenge some disappointments at the hand of Boston College and hand them a beat-down in Denver as opposed to having the Gophers do it for us.

Miami irritatingly overrated? They've played Michigan several times and usually given the Wolverines all they could handle. I bet you'll think better of them once this tournament gets under way. They stumbled last year, but they have lots of returning players who won't let that happen again.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'd like to agree with everything you say, I stop immediately after "I am not a gopher fan...". Frankly, I'd love it if UND got a chance to avenge some disappointments at the hand of Boston College and hand them a beat-down in Denver as opposed to having the Gophers do it for us.

Miami irritatingly overrated? They've played Michigan several times and usually given the Wolverines all they could handle. I bet you'll think better of them once this tournament gets under way. They stumbled last year, but they have lots of returning players who won't let that happen again.

BC is always tough in the NCAA's. They are playing in their backyards and will struggle more with the goofs than they will with the always over-rated Redbirds.

Denver, BC, and Michigan are the only teams that worry me in the tourney at this point. No other teams can match us if we play our game.

Any other Sioux fans out there sick of seeing #14 with Osh and Dunc? I am sure the kid is a good guy. Actually I thought he played really well with Martins and Frattin in the first 2 games of the first round of the conf playoffs, but he just doesn't add anything to the #1 line. Things might need to be shaken up to generate more offense, but this is not the answer.

Also, the Kaip line hasn't done much to generate consistent offense for some time. Not saying that I would do anything to that line this time of year, but it needs to be looked at as closely as the Dunc/Osh line.

And finally, Radke finally gets back into the line-up and we win. Started losing when he was pulled from the line-up early in the season and late in the season as well. He is a senior, has been to the frozen four three times, and plays his tail off every shift. If he sits the rest of the year we lose and shame on our coach!

I was actually impressed with the Gophers during their series against the Sioux this year. Other than those 2 series, I didn't see them play too much until the F5.

They are a gritty team, but they just seemed to be missing something. Missed passes, lots of turnovers in their own zone...stuff like that. They just didn't seem like the Gopher teams of past...speedy possession teams with great puckhandlers.

Very accurate assesment. We will go as far as Kangas and puck luck take us.

Kangas will not fold, he has let in 2 goals in the last 6 games, in which he attempted a save. He is a big game player and thrives in elimination situations his entire career before, and while at the U. The guy is unreal for this team. The gophers played 6 games in 9 days including ot's. They were a tired team and Gwoz was very smart to forcheck the he** out of them and wear them down. They will be well rested and have the ability win 4 straight or lose game 1. I have BC in my bracket and will hope the goph's can move on. I just happen to be in Madison for work this weekend :wink: Thanks for the regional trip boss! Hotel, travel and company credit card! I have a feeling there will be some good games in madtown. Lots of good tickets available to the DU/UND final.

FWIW, a hockey guru I know says the match-ups for UND, UNH and Miami are all difficult w's for the number 1's and he wouldn't be surpised to see more than one go down. Haven't had a chance to talk to him in depth and I don't know about Princeton. I can see ND and AF winning, not Princeton. Would be nice to shut up the Holy Cross-UND people who still live in the $1.33/ gallon days :D He says watch out for BC...bastard!!!

Good luck and travel safe guys. Go WCHA!!!!

I think Miami is a much tougher matchup for the Gophers than BC. Not that BC will be easy, but they like to skate and take their chances and give you your chances. The Gophers should have a shot in that type of game primarily due to Kangas. If Miami gets ahead they will use their size and goaltending to shut the Gophers down. Very similar to Denver who gave up a lot of shots in the 3rd, but only a couple of really good chances.

The Sioux have a tough regional, but overall a very good draw. Wisconsin has been up and down obviously all season. I think they have a great shot at knocking out DU, but will come up flat vs. UND/Princeon if they get there.

The Sioux (and the Gophers) will only have to go through one of Michigan/CC/UNH who I thought were the best three teams in the country for most of the season.

by Marto out on D, i mean playing (out on the ice)

I tend to agree. IMO Marto has stepped up his play over Lapointe. Not saying the Derek is a bad player, just think he is the 7th best defenseman we have right now. Unfortunately for him, he plays on the team that has the most depth on defense in the country. For what he misses out in playing time, he will gain by stepping back and watching big time defensemen in big time games.

I think Miami is a much tougher matchup for the Gophers than BC. Not that BC will be easy, but they like to skate and take their chances and give you your chances. The Gophers should have a shot in that type of game primarily due to Kangas. If Miami gets ahead they will use their size and goaltending to shut the Gophers down. Very similar to Denver who gave up a lot of shots in the 3rd, but only a couple of really good chances.

The Sioux have a tough regional, but overall a very good draw. Wisconsin has been up and down obviously all season. I think they have a great shot at knocking out DU, but will come up flat vs. UND/Princeon if they get there.

The Sioux (and the Gophers) will only have to go through one of Michigan/CC/UNH who I thought were the best three teams in the country for most of the season.

BC is a very tough draw. They are much more skilled than the goofs, and do tend to go back and forth. BC has been to the frozen four 7 out of the last 10 years. They know what to do in the playoffs, they just don't finish that well.

CC is the opposite of BC. Always slide going into the playoffs (Never won the Final 5) and have done very little in the post-season since the early 90's.

BC is a very tough draw. They are much more skilled than the goofs, and do tend to go back and forth. BC has been to the frozen four 7 out of the last 10 years. They know what to do in the playoffs, they just don't finish that well.

CC is the opposite of BC. Always slide going into the playoffs (Never won the Final 5) and have done very little in the post-season since the early 90's.

The 2004-2005 Frozen Four wasn't that long ago, was it?

The 2004-2005 Frozen Four wasn't that long ago, was it?

That one slipped my memory, but they have made it to the tourney 7 out the last ten years and have made it to the Frozen Four only that one time. Thay year was an anomoly anyway. We defeated BC in a regional.

Oh by the way, thanks for pi$$in' me off! I hate DU and you brought back a very painful moment. I think that was the first time I noticed that Gwoz actually wears make-up for nationally televised games!

That one slipped my memory, but they have made it to the tourney 7 out the last ten years and have made it to the Frozen Four only that one time.

Oh by the way, thanks for pi$$in' me off! I hate DU and you brought back a very painful moment. I think that was the first time I noticed that Gwoz actually wears make-up for nationally televised games!

BC has made it to the Frozen Four what, 6 or 7 of the past 10 years and has exactly 1 title to show for it. It's not as easy as it looks. Just ask DUKE! :wink:

Sorry about ps$$in' you off. That brings up bad memories for me too, having paid for a ticket but being over-ruled by the rest of Al Pearson's bus-riders who wanted to stop for breakfast in Champagne, IL, on the Thursday am of the NCAA Frozen Four. One car accident 30 minutes outside of Columbus later, we're sitting in traffic for 2/3 of the DU/CC hockey game. :D

MIDWEST BRACKET CAPSULE FROM INCH

NO. 1 SEED NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX

Record: 26-10-4 (18-7-3 WCHA, second)

Qualified: At-large bid

NCAA Championships: Seven (1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000)

NCAA Appearance: 23rd (most recent, 2007)

Head Coach: Dave Hakstol

Key Players: T.J. Oshie, F, Jr. (39 GP, 18-23

BC has made it to the Frozen Four what, 6 or 7 of the past 10 years and has exactly 1 title to show for it. It's not as easy as it looks. Just ask DUKE! :wink:

Sorry about ps$$in' you off. That brings up bad memories for me too, having paid for a ticket but being over-ruled by the rest of Al Pearson's bus-riders who wanted to stop for breakfast in Champagne, IL, on the Thursday am of the NCAA Frozen Four. One car accident 30 minutes outside of Columbus later, we're sitting in traffic for 2/3 of the DU/CC hockey game. :D

It is not as easy as it looks, thats why I will go completely nutz if Denver gets on a roll and wins this year! They have made it to the Frozen Four only twice in the last 20 years and you know the rest of the story. IF they make it out of Wisc this year they will be tough to beat in Denver!

I have been on the Pearson bus one time and the whole experience sucked. (98 to Milwaulkee for the Final 5)

MIDWEST BRACKET CAPSULE FROM INCH

NO. 1 SEED NORTH DAKOTA FIGHTING SIOUX

Record: 26-10-4 (18-7-3 WCHA, second)

Qualified: At-large bid

NCAA Championships: Seven (1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000)

NCAA Appearance: 23rd (most recent, 2007)

Head Coach: Dave Hakstol

Key Players: T.J. Oshie, F, Jr. (39 GP, 18-23

I have been on the Pearson bus one time and the whole experience sucked. (98 to Milwaulkee for the Final 5)

Outside of the small-towners (and I mean that term nicely) thinking a 1.5 hour side-trek to Cracker Barrel wouldn't come back to haunt us, the experience was AWESOME! What made yours so bad?

This made me laugh... :wink:

Said captain and Hobey Baker finalist Kevin Porter, “We’re where we wanted to be. Those were the teams we wanted to play. Everyone’s going to be good in the tournament, but I think we’re in a great bracket.

“To play Niagara in our first game is great, especially having to play North Dakota the last two years. I mean, they’re going to be a good team, but it’s nice not having to play North Dakota in the first game.”

http://www.uscho.com/news/id,15600/BracketReaxUpdated.html

Talk about billboard material for Niagara. I hope they play like they did in 2000 when they stunned UNH!

wasnt it niagara who played us tough in the springs in 04 ?

you would never ever hear a sioux player say anything like that, ever. i imagine you wouldnt hear 90% of the teams say anything like that after the upset at the ralph a few years back. besides that its just stupid to say. im sure he was asked about the region and he just answered it straight forward which i dont have a problem with one bit but then you put your teammates and coaches in a position in having to answer questions regarding your comments.

wasnt it niagara who played us tough in the springs in 04 ?

How quickly we forget. The team who played the Sioux tough in 2004 was none other than Holy Cross. I bet 2/3 of people who saw the western regional in Engelstad a few years ago had no idea...

One might think Michigan would keep their mouth shut given the fact that in March of 2001, while most people were predicting an 8 or 10-0 win against Mercyhurst, the mighty Wolverines held off the Lakers in a 4-3 regional game in Grand Rapids. Never overlook your opponent.

How quickly we forget. The team who played the Sioux tough in 2004 was none other than Holy Cross. I bet 2/3 of people who saw the western regional in Engelstad a few years ago had no idea...

One might think Michigan would keep their mouth shut given the fact that in March of 2001, while most people were predicting an 8 or 10-0 win against Mercyhurst, the mighty Wolverines held off the Lakers in a 4-3 regional game in Grand Rapids. Never overlook your opponent.

that was the Victory Sports fiasco year; many of us didn't get to see any games in that regional, so my limited memory is the Sioux's 1-0 loss on one good bounce to Denver, didn't see it, only heard that the Sioux dominated, didn't score, and lost.

that was the Victory Sports fiasco year; many of us didn't get to see any games in that regional, so my limited memory is the Sioux's 1-0 loss on one good bounce to Denver, didn't see it, only heard that the Sioux dominated, didn't score, and lost.

I watched the Sioux/Holy Cross game at Old Chicago in Roseville. I was watching the Sioux/Denver game when the screen went blank late in the 3rd period. How did I find out? Via text message. :wink: