SiouxSports.com Forum

Cup location?

01grad

I would love to see that thing sitting in the REA for 1/2 of the year next year but I assume it is probably at the league office.

I'm fairly certain the Cup resides at the winner's school until the league reclaims it. I've seen it displayed in Mariucci Arena (the old one) before as well as UND.

In 1997, the Sioux led the WCHA most of the way and were awarded the Cup I believe in Denver on a Friday night after clinching at least a tie. The next day, the cup was shipped to Minneapolis in the event of a Gopher win and a Sioux loss, which would make Minnesota co-champions. It happened...and the Gophers skated with the MacNaughton on Saturday night. I believe the Sioux were the #1 seed for the tournament and they enacted revenge several weeks later, winning a 4-3 thriller in OT at the old St Paul Civic Center.

If memory serves me right, UND kept the cup for 1/2 a season and then sent it to Minnesota.

I'm fairly certain the Cup resides at the winner's school until the league reclaims it. I've seen it displayed in Mariucci Arena (the old one) before as well as UND.

In 1997, the Sioux led the WCHA most of the way and were awarded the Cup I believe in Denver on a Friday night after clinching at least a tie. The next day, the cup was shipped to Minneapolis in the event of a Gopher win and a Sioux loss, which would make Minnesota co-champions. It happened...and the Gophers skated with the MacNaughton on Saturday night. I believe the Sioux were the #1 seed for the tournament and they enacted revenge several weeks later, winning a 4-3 thriller in OT at the old St Paul Civic Center.

If memory serves me right, UND kept the cup for 1/2 a season and then sent it to Minnesota.

in 1997 the Sioux were awarded the cup on a saturday night at the old ralph after they beat alaska to clinch a tie for the cup, I was there as part of the media and was on the ice with them.

in 1997 the Sioux were awarded the cup on a saturday night at the old ralph after they beat alaska to clinch a tie for the cup, I was there as part of the media and was on the ice with them.

So the WCHA re-claimed it a week later after the Sioux lost at Denver on a Friday night just in case Minnesota happened to win on Saturday night and the Sioux lost?

I did some research...after UND lost on Friday to Denver 6-3 and Minnesota won their Friday night game, the cup was packed up and shipped to Mariucci. UND lost to Denver 5-0 on Saturday night and Minnesota won their game, clinching a tie for 1st place.

I guess that just goes to show what you women are always thinking about! :huh:

Thanks for the replies and sorry I missed the write up on this already. I was just curious to see if they needed to ship it to Grand Forks after we sweep or if it would be there waiting.

I guess that just goes to show what you women are always thinking about! :sad:

Thanks for the replies and sorry I missed the write up on this already. I was just curious to see if they needed to ship it to Grand Forks after we sweep or if it would be there waiting.

Just looking out for your......er...........um......best interest. :huh: