SiouxSports.com Forum

Ruley to step down

UND92,96

Like her or not, she is the one that got the NCC WBB programs going in the right direction before Gene arrived at UND. I hope things work out well for her in her new position.

As great as the rivalry between the 2 schools was, the rivalry between those 2 coaches was equally as special. I never dreamed she would struggle w/DI move. Always saw her as someone who would thrive at the next level. Maybe we don't understand just how hard the whole move really is.

Good luck to her and NDSU; there will be some interesting names that apply for that job. :angry:

As great as the rivalry between the 2 schools was, the rivalry between those 2 coaches was equally as special. I never dreamed she would struggle w/DI move. Always saw her as someone who would thrive at the next level. Maybe we don't understand just how hard the whole move really is.

Good luck to her and NDSU; there will be some interesting names that apply for that job. :angry:

Ruley's recruiting had really slipped in the last few years before the dI move, so in a way I'm not all that surprised that things were more of a struggle for NDSU than they have been for SDSU. She was always a very good coach, though. It is interesting that both she and Lavin have decided to hang it up, and both are considerably younger (8-10 years) than Roebuck.

Ruley's recruiting had really slipped in the last few years before the dI move, so in a way I'm not all that surprised that things were more of a struggle for NDSU than they have been for SDSU. She was always a very good coach, though. It is interesting that both she and Lavin have decided to hang it up, and both are considerably younger (8-10 years) than Roebuck.

I'm not going to make excuses for Amy as none are needed but the recruiting comment I think is somewhat valid but you also have to consider that about that time she had some personal health issues (cancer) that she was dealing with. If her recruiting slipped which I think it did I believe it had a lot to do with that.

With five seniors leaving, and only two recruits coming in, the new coach will have some work to do. Even though the Bison legacy is considerable, if NDSU wants to recruit a firebrand coach, they need to come out with a plan to upgrade the BSA or build a new facility. That's the kind of show of support that is going to attract a coach to Fargo.

With five seniors leaving, and only two recruits coming in, the new coach will have some work to do. Even though the Bison legacy is considerable, if NDSU wants to recruit a firebrand coach, they need to come out with a plan to upgrade the BSA or build a new facility. That's the kind of show of support that is going to attract a coach to Fargo.

From what I understand the BSA upgrade has two options. Option one happens if the city comm approved the Fargodome addtion and NDSU BB will have a new home. THe BSA will be renovated with upgraded lockerrooms, office, training and weight rooms along with a new indoor track. Option two is if the dome addition is a no go the BSA will be upgraded with the above changes but also extensive renovations to the main arena to make is a suitable DI facility. NDSU is holding off making their plans (which are done) public until they know what the the Fargodome is going to do. I think NDSU has already raised over $10million for the BSA upgrade.

Disclaimer- this is all 2nd hand info and is not from an inside source. :huh:

Do you know when they're going to announce this, BB?

In a month or two. The marketing study that was conducted did not have all the details some of the commission wanted, and the Dome's management company has volunteered to do a parallel study gratis. Those reports should come back in a month, and then the final decision can be made. But the initial report must've looked pretty good, since the "done deal" comment reportedly came from a member on the city commission.

Since the proposed addition sits on NDSU property, does the project have to go to the state for approval?

I'm 99% sure the answer is no. I believe the city can do almost anything on the land during the 99 year lease without dealing with the state. The Betty didn't need state approval, did it?

I'm 99% sure the answer is no. I believe the city can do almost anything on the land during the 99 year lease without dealing with the state. The Betty didn't need state approval, did it?

Yes.

With a unanimous vote by the State Board of Higher Education, Ralph Engelstad Arena and the University are moving forward with construction plans to add a basketball/volleyball practice facility to the Ralph Engelstad Arena complex. This 50,000 square foot building, on the west side of the arena, will be named the Ralph Engelstad Arena Sports Center and will be home to the men

In a month or two. The marketing study that was conducted did not have all the details some of the commission wanted, and the Dome's management company has volunteered to do a parallel study gratis. Those reports should come back in a month, and then the final decision can be made. But the initial report must've looked pretty good, since the "done deal" comment reportedly came from a member on the city commission.

The comments were in fact from a commission member rearding the done deal Hambone.

Re: GeauxSioux's last comment

Okay, miscommunication there. When you said state approval, I assumed you meant the legislature, not the SBoHE. I can see why the Betty needed SBoHE approval, but I don't think it required legislative approval; just like the NDSU and UND Tech Parks don't need that kind of approval. In the case of the Fargodome arena, I suspect a SBoHE vote will be taken because of the $10-15 million NDSU will be contributing, but I don't think it will go to the legislature. By law/policy, I don't think the Betty or the FD arena technically needed SBoHE approval, but it would be political suicide to go forward on a project of that magnitude without it. Heck, some people in Bismarck were unhappy that NDSU didn't get formal approval for the purchase/renovation of the new downtown buildings prior to closing the deal, even though all the money was coming from private sources, the land was purchased by the NDSU Foundation and is to be leased to NDSU, and NDSU had talked to members of the SBoHE and the relevant legislators and gotten informal approval before the next scheduled meeting(where the offical approval was given). Our system sucks when it comes to cases that are time-sensitive.

Sorry about the tangent. To restate, I don't believe the City of Fargo requires any approval from the state government to add on or modify the Fargodome. However, since this project will require an eight-figure contribution from NDSU or its agencies, a SBoHE vote will most likely take place, though not a vote of the state legislature(unless a congressman decides s/he needs some press).

How bout Mandan's coach Greg Amundson to coach at NDSU? He has a pretty good track record(6 in a row and 8 of 9) and it seems to be that he is a pretty good recruiter as well.

Maybe as an assistant. I imagine that the criteria for the had coach will be some affiliation with a Division One program.