SiouxSports.com Forum

The Betty (as a venue) so far...

SiouxMeNow

You can't make this stuff up. Let's see, would I rather have 2 redshirt FR boys who each weigh 210 soaking wet and last saw competition in ND Class A and Minnesota Class A ball, or a 6-8 235 pound man who has started 75% of his games as a collegian in a league that plays very good basketball. There is no question in my mind I'd take the latter. To take it even further, those 2 redshirt FR big guys will likely be taking the floor with 2-3 other FR.

Before Koenig is labeled a D1 flop, consider that he plays on a team and in an offense that is high tempo and orientated completely for guard and wing play. He rarely has anything run for him despite the fact that he shot at least 55% last year and the last time I checked he was doing the same this year. You can be rest assured that both UND and NDSU would take him in a heartbeat and plug him into the lineup next year. To suggest otherwise is moronic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only saw him play once last year (against Iowa) and it looked he was playing on the wing a lot. I don't know how he would play as a 4, but he seems to have the perfect body. How is UW-GB utilizing him this year?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't Koenig a sophomore getting significant PT- a little early to call him overrated

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. In a way, it's too bad he didn't get a red-shirt year which would have made this his freshman year. But apparently the coaching staff felt they needed him immediately last season.

Back to The Betty, are we sure they can't broadcast out of there? The specs say:

- TV broadcast booth

- Radio broadcast booth

- Game filming platform

- Fiber-optic communications

The TV booth, filming platform, and fiber-optic lines say "TV ready". Couldn't they just send the camera feeds to The Ralph and use the production room and satellite uplink from there?

I only saw him play once last year (against Iowa) and it looked he was playing on the wing a lot. I don't know how he would play as a 4, but he seems to have the perfect body. How is UW-GB utilizing him this year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He is playing mostly the 5, but Green Bay doesn't list a center on their roster. He is used in their offense a lot as a screener and passer on the perimeter, so it may seem like he is playing the wing. Looking at their stats, 4 of their top 6 scorers are guards and wing guys, and their top scorer starts at the 4 but is used a lot like a 3. Bottom line is that Koenig really isn't utilized by Green Bay and UND and NDSU would love to get him back in state.

FargoBison you cannot be serious....hand picked by Myles....what the...so when they flop are you going to be calling for his head??? wow...would rather have those two kids than K-dog...i am going to print this out and send this to him just in case NDSU is going to try and mess with him....SU would take him in a heartbeat...and avg 4,000 fans....you guys have rose colored glasses....that is like saying Nebraska is going to come to NDSU....because its NDSU...what was I thinking....is Bentrum starting this year..oh yeah its not 1980!!!!!!

FargoBison you cannot be serious....hand picked by Myles....what the...so when they flop are you going to be calling for his head??? wow...would rather have those two kids than K-dog...i am going to print this out and send this to him just in case NDSU is going to try and mess with him....SU would take him in a heartbeat...and avg 4,000 fans....you guys have rose colored glasses....that is like saying Nebraska is going to come to NDSU....because its NDSU...what was I thinking....is Bentrum starting this year..oh yeah its not 1980!!!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Miles and his staff go scout these players and try to find players that match their style of play, it's not like these recruits woke up one day and said I think I will go to NDSU. So if these players fail, it should be his head. And I have stated that K dog is nothing special and may not even be a starter by the time he's eligable. I said if he wouldn't have to sit it would be a no brainer but he has to sit and NDSU needs to put the scholarship to use on a player that can play right away. There is already 8 freshman under scholarship for next season so NDSU will need players that can play right away. So with at least 11 scholarships in use for next year the Bison would be better suited adding a JUCO or two, then getting a transfer that can't play for a year. You can go ahead and give Koenig a copy of my post, I don't think he would come here anyway. If he wanted to come here I'm sure Miles would try to get him here but it wouldn't be as easy decision that it would be for UND. And there would be no garuantee that he would see alot of playing time for his junior year.

Back to The Betty, are we sure they can't broadcast out of there? The specs say:

- TV broadcast booth

- Radio broadcast booth

- Game filming platform

- Fiber-optic communications

The TV booth, filming platform, and fiber-optic lines say "TV ready". Couldn't they just send the camera feeds to The Ralph and use the production room and satellite uplink from there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Theoretically but for now...nope...it's not wired at all. Don't know if the Fiber Optic specs were ever fully put in but it wouldn't make much difference (at least for the current TV broadcast) because they use good ol' coaxial cable (analog video capability only) and that would physically have to be tied into production control in the Ralph. In short, a hassle when you have a TV ready facility right next door PLUS I think Glas uses playing the big arena as a recruiting tool...

This really doesn't have much to do with Koenig, but for anyone who wants to simply judge him solely by his stats, I happened to look at what Jamel Staten's stats were at Northern Illinois his sophomore year, which was his last year there prior to transferring to Mankato. They were nearly identical to what Koenig is doing now. Anybody who has seen Staten play can attest that he's a big-time talent. My point is not that Koenig would put up Staten-like numbers at UND or NDSU, because that would be tough for anyone to do. But for anyone to believe that he wouldn't be a big contributor to either program if he were to transfer is simply foolish. He's listed at 6'8", 250, he can shoot the ball, and he's quite athletic for his size judging by his football accomplishments as a receiver/defensive back. I'd take him on my team in a heartbeat.

The fact that he'd have to sit out a year if he were to transfer to NDSU may be important from his own perspective since some players wouldn't want to have to do that, but from Miles' perspective it would probably be irrelevant. It's not like there's any pressure for NDSU to win big immediately, anyway. Particularly with a team comprised primarily of freshmen like next year's team will be.

ridiculous.....what else can be said about those posts Fargobison....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What was so ridiculous about my last post, I said Miles would take him in but there would be no garauntee in playing time after he sits out a year. What this team really needs are JUCO players that can play next year, Miles was down at NDSCS scouting two players the other night. And yes Jamal Stanten is doing well at Mankato but NDSU isn't in the NCC anymore and they play alot teams that Northern Illinios and UW GB plays so it's hard to say how good he would do here playing against the same type of competion. And it's hard to say what style Miles will try to run with this new group of players, what if he wants to try an up tempo style with all the undersized players he has. Koenig had a great high school career at North but the truth is he hasn't done much at UW GB and it's hard to say what he would do against similar competion. You guys are acting like Koenig went to UNC after high school and was some 5 star recruit, which he wasn't. The truth he was a highly touted rectruit from this area and is not doing so hot against D1 competion, how is he going to do at another D1 school that plays the same D1 competion. UW GB only beat NDSU by 6 points so the teams are comparable and yes UW GB runs an up tempo style but it is still yet to be determined what type of style Miles will run. And if Koenig was supposed to be this big difference maker that you say he is then why wouldn't GB try to get the ball more to him.

GCwaters- are serious about this renovation of the BSA and will the news be out today.

now i suppose FargoBison your going to say you wouldnt want Jamel Staten on your team either....cuz well he isnt a D1 player....what in the......just stop posting...now that i am banned from bisonville i dont have to read those re re NDSU posts anymore i was just starting to forget those types of posts...now your giving me flashbacks...like UND 92 96 said...anyone who wouldnt take K-dog would be foolish to even type that...get over yourselves NDSU...heres a news flash....[B]YOUR NOT THAT GOOD!!!! D1 or not!!!!

down by 8 to UMC at half in front of 805 peeps...wow...stellar

I don't know when the announcement will be made, but it is my understanding that a BSA renovation is in the works...

It's been in the works since the announcement of construction of The Betty. They are working to raise $8 to 16 million. This capital campaign is in addition to their efforts to raise funds for immediate needs (i.e. current budget).

I don't know how they are doing or how far along they are, but The Betty is up and running.

now i suppose FargoBison your going to say you wouldnt want Jamel Staten on your team either....cuz well he isnt a D1 player....what in the......just stop posting...now that i am banned from bisonville i dont have to read those re re NDSU posts anymore i was just starting to forget those types of posts...now your giving me flashbacks...like UND 92 96 said...anyone who wouldnt take K-dog would be foolish to even type that...get over yourselves NDSU...heres a news flash....[B]YOUR NOT THAT GOOD!!!! D1 or not!!!!

down by 8 to UMC at half in front of 805 peeps...wow...stellar

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I seem to remember the sioux losing to UMC. real stellar!

• 3 weeks later...

I heard a rumor from a couple of different people at the basketball games this weekend that all games next year will be played at the Betty. The only thing is, I think they may need to somehow add some more seating at both ends (larger portable bleachers) to increase the capacity to something over 4000. In conference play this year, UND averaged just under 4000--with three of the six games having crowds exceeding 4000--so I think the capacity needs to be at least 4200 and preferably a bit more than that if at all possible. It's not as though this year has been unusual in terms of demand for tickets, and with next year's women's team looking like it could be special, I think demand will only increase. 4000-plus in the Betty would be an incredible atmosphere, although with no concourse, which is something both Hyslop and the Ralph have, and relatively few concession stands compared to the Ralph, the comfort level for the fans will decrease a bit, as well.

those things propably would have been good to consider when building the building...do you think??? IMO

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, you would think so. I just don't know whether the blame lies with REA, UND or the architect. Don't get me wrong, I like the Betty as a whole, but I hate the fact that if you're sitting towards the upper half of the stands, you have no choice but to walk all the way down the bleachers, walk past the scorer's table and behind the bench in order to get to the concession stands or bathrooms instead of just walking up or down a few steps and out into a concourse like at Hyslop or the Ralph. The seating capacity issue can probably be remedied (hopefully) with larger portable bleachers at both ends, but the lack of concourse and the resulting lack of convenience for most fans is permanent.