SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux bring it to Mariucci!

dagies

I think it is going to be an awfully tough series for both teams.  I think 5 on 5 the Sioux are playing teams pretty even now.  If the Sioux can get consistent, strong goaltending next weekend should be a 3-gamer and if the Sioux can get some bounces maybe they can even win.

I don't predict a Sioux win because they will have to take 2 of 3 from the goofs at their barn and I think the goofs are just too good to let that happen.

But the Sioux will come to play.  And I think we'll show better than the Huskies did this weekend.

The top line appears to me to have gelled well, and are now as dangerous as anyone in the country.  The rest of the team is playing solid hockey.  If the D can play well, and cover their responsibilities something surprising might happen.

This has been one long season.  The goofer fans have had their fun with us all year, revelling in their payback for our past years dominance.  I can't stand anymore!!!!!!  We need to go to MN and if not beat them, at least scare the crap out of them.  

GO SIOUX!!

Tim Skarperud has become one of the premier players in the nation.  He has been the best surprise of this team.

The worst surprise has been Kollar's downfall.  I mean a lot of people ripped him for how he looked in the Final Five championship game last season, but I don't think most people expected him to NOT be the #1 guy.  Anyway, a GREAT scenario would be for him to start the Friday game at Minnie and win it, with no long bombs going through his pads.

Siembida had a bad game Friday vs Denver and Brandt hasn't been Blais' favorite guy so I would expect Kollar to get a chance.  If GOOD ANDY shows up, we can beat the Goofs!

Kuch,

I think this is the first time all year I finally agreed with you.

It was great to see Andy finish strong & almost redeem himself for this past year. Head games are a big part of being a goalie & if he feels he's back anything can happen next weekend.

I'd love to predict a Sioux sweep but it will be tough playing against the refs also.  Saw a lot of the Goof game last night & couldn't believe what they got away with.

Take the Goofs to 3 games & show them what they have to look out for next year.

Go get the Goofs.

Kuch,

I think this is the first time all year I finally agreed with you.

It was great to see Andy finish strong & almost redeem himself for this past year. Head games are a big part of being a goalie & if he feels he's back anything can happen next weekend.

I'd love to predict a Sioux sweep but it will be tough playing against the refs also.  Saw a lot of the Goof game last night & couldn't believe what they got away with.

Take the Goofs to 3 games & show them what they have to look out for next year.

Go get the Goofs.

HENNESSY,

Basically said that the refs are going to protect the Gophers and call everything against the Sioux for the fact tha the cake eaters are the Host team for the Final Five and the Frozen four so we are going to have to play smart...

I would love to see them lose though.

I am sure Blais is challenging Brandt to be a better goalie.

People can complain about Blais all they want he is affective and thank God he is our coach. SOme of these players need to learn and play the system. When Brandt plays by the coaches system he will get more playing time. It is as easy as that... Brandt look pretty confident in the Warm ups though...

Speaking of head games, I hope the fact that the students started chanting "Andy Kollar" at the end of the game last night boosted his confidence in himself.

I'm hoping Andy doesn't play against Minnesota.  Friday he let yet ANOTHER soft goal from the blue line go right through his legs.  Saturday he didn't look good either, numerous times he slid out of the goal and if it was against a team like the gophers those would have been goals.  I think the only reason Blais started him was because the game didn't really mean anything for the Sioux and it was Andy's last home game.

Well, the Sioux really have nothing to lose this weekend and seem to be playing a bit better.  I think the gophers are playing some of their best hockey this season, and are going to be tough, naturally, in their own barn.  I think the key for the Sioux will be effective defense and protecting the puck in their own zone.  Mazurak et al. have to learn clearing passes go to your own players, not the other guys.   :)

I really don't care who starts in goal, but I suspect that recent absence of Brandt will mean Kollar starts at least one game.  A strong forecheck and pressuring Hauser will help too.  The team has "solved" Hauser in the past, and that key usually means an early flurry to rattle him and get him out of his "zone."  I would submit if they had done that when he replaced Johnson at REA, we would have won that game.  As it was, we pretty much left him alone.  When Hauser gets pressured, he can be cracked and usually in a big way.

Frankly, I'm tired of the "bad officiating" prepackaged, one-size-fits-all excuse, God knows the Jan Fans use it enough.  I don't recall too much whining last season or in 2000, except from those teams' fans we beat.  A good team can play through "bad" officiating, and now is the time just to see how good we are.  If you put more points on the board than the other guys, the officiating isn't an issue.  That said, the guys have to avoid the dumb, chippy play that was indicative of the last Minnesota game at REA.

I would like to see the Sioux take at least one game, just to spoil this "Miracle in Minneapolis" bilge I've been hearing from the fair weather fans around here e.g., those who were nowhere to be found at Mariucci the past few seasons.

I liked Andy's quote in the paper about the goal he gave up and whether it actually was a goal,

"It sounded like a goal.  I know the noises it makes when the puck hits the padding in the back of the net.  I've had a couple go by me...but only in practice."  :)

He seems to have the right attitude about it.

Technically I think the linesman who saw the goal should have blown his whistle when he saw the puck go in the net, because as Hennesay said, if UND would have gone on to score a goal before the next whistle, it wouldn't have counted.  That's why it's a shutout in my mind. :)

Technically I think the linesman who saw the goal should have blown his whistle when he saw the puck go in the net, because as Hennesay said, if UND would have gone on to score a goal before the next whistle, it wouldn't have counted.

I saw a "no goal" called at the old Engelstad (last year or the year before?) on a very similar shot by a Sioux player which slammed into the tightly strung back of the net and bounced back out into play with a lot more speed that Denver's only goal

Saturday.

YaneA could that have been at the Sat night Denver game at end of the season last year?  I seem to remember that happening last year myself at a Sioux game, but that is the only game I saw at Englestad last season.  I can't place there this happened either.

I know it happened in the SCSU-MN game in the Final Five last year, but I also remember this happening at a Sioux game.

Panzer scored a goal last year.  It went in and right back out.  He was the only one who saw it was a goal, so he started celebrating while all the other players went back down to the other end of the rink.  It was pretty funny seeing him celebrating while the game kept going.  Finally after about 30 seconds of play the whistle blew and Panzer got the goal.

I remember the Panzer celebration so the one I'm thinking out must have been a different situation because there was

definitely no goal awarded and I remember talking to others around me who thought there should have been a goal signalled even belatedly.

I remember the goal that Diggler is talking about, too.  He was the only player left in the zone because the puck shot out so fast that the transition happened right away.  AFter realizing he was the only one on that end of the rink with the goalie, he had to hustle down to the other end.  Wasn't the goal light even on?

As midweek rolls around I usually get real optimistic.  Last week at this time I was pretty sure the Sioux were going to take four from Denver and have home ice.  Well, it almost happened.

Now I read about how well they played Saturday, with Hale and Schneider laying the smack down, and Canady and McMahon flying around, and "Line of Fire, Jr." continuing to produce, and I can't help but feel optimistic again.  

When I wake up Friday morning, though, it will be back to apprehension.  

Come on, Sioux, you're due to receive a few bounces (Notes and Spiewak with the hatties?) and, you know, the harder you work, the luckier you get.  Plus it's Hauser!  

Don't bother me with reality for a few more days.

Speaking of 'Slap Shot', who do you think is the designated 'kick-Canady's-a$$-guy' after what he did to the Gopher bench up in Grand Forks?;)  Anyone think Canady will be able to draw a penalty this weekend? They're going to be all over him.    :)

If Kollar faces Hauser ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!

Just make sure Canady stays away from Ballard cause I think Keith might want some payback ;)

This board is nice...too much green but nice.  Are the rules similar to the Gopher Board?  I promise not to flame and be respectful.

Do I get to be treated well cause my gf is a Sioux fan  :)