SiouxSports.com Forum

(PWR) PairWise Rankings - 2009

jimdahl

We're only a month or so away from the Bracketology articles starting to get interesting and after a few weeks of playing around, I think I'm getting close to some useful ways to present PWR forecasts.

So, without further ado:

Predicting the PWR… The impact of the Denver series

For those who can't be bothered to follow a link -- surprise, surprise, this is the biggest series of 2009 so far for PWR. A sweep will land UND an average of 8.5 spots higher in the PWR than getting swept. Other series this weekend that could move UND more than 1 spot: Northern Michigan over Alaska, Bemidji State over Niagara, SCSU over CC

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thx, i just asked you about this on the denver thread. thx

Yeah, busy week. Now that I think I'm getting close to some readable, useful analysis of the forecasts, the next step will be to automate it so its not dependent on me having the time to run the simulation and type up the results.

Yeah, busy week. Now that I think I'm getting close to some readable, useful analysis of the forecasts, the next step will be to automate it so its not dependent on me having the time to run the simulation and type up the results.

Two words: Just Win... And Go Sioux.

other than knowing the exact formula that goes into the rpi and how it is figured out I'm not sure why people say the pwr rankings are so confusing to figure out. they are pretty simple. match up each team and see who wins the most catagories.

yeah, just takes tons of time. thankfully jim has a nice system going on to help us all out

Having last week's chart in the thread keeps me honest, but I declare victory on that, with 3 points we landed between the thick parts of the forecast for a sweep and a split. (Keep in mind that when I give a "90% chance" range, we are by definition going to land outside of that range 1 out of 10 times).

From Forecasting the PWR… a look ahead at SCSU:

pwrpredict20090202.gif

One point of clarification -- the numbers on the bottom are the PWR ranking, not the number of comparisons won. Being further left (closer to 1) is better. That's why the far left curve is UND sweeping and the far right curve UND getting swept.

Nice analysis Jim. For your prediction are you actually running all possible outcomes (skipping ties) of every other game and running the PWR for each or are you doing some expected results using KRACH or something similar?

Either way it's pretty impressive.

Nice analysis Jim. For your prediction are you actually running all possible outcomes (skipping ties) of every other game and running the PWR for each or are you doing some expected results using KRACH or something similar?

Either way it's pretty impressive.

The techniques are explained a little more deeply here and here, but in short:

* I run 1,000,000 trials of the set of games in interest (either the remaining season or, as above, the next weekend)

* Outcomes are either random (to simulate possible outcomes) or KRACH-based (to simulate likely outcomes)

* Calculate the PWR for each trial, save, and aggregate

Simulating every combination of outcomes would be tough. With 49 games this weekend, that would be 2^49, or about 562,949,953,421,312 possibilities. I've done some informal sensitivity analysis, and 1,000,000 trials does a pretty good job of producing consistent results.

For the chart embedded above, I use KRACH-based likely outcomes (hence no ties) with fixed UND outcomes because I think that's the best determinant of what UND's PWR is likely to be after the weekend. I can also do the same thing for the entire season, as shown in the original blog post (the first "here" above).

The cool thing is, a single run produced similar data for every team, so once I make it an automated process that runs itself and produces a web page, I should be able to make a page for every team that includes: outlook for the team for the weekend and key non-team games this weekend (see my blog post for an example).

Jim has just taken away the whole point of playing the games. We'll just go by his simulator from now on.

no, jim has just dumbed the pwr down for everyone :D thank goodness, it really shows the importance of these late series before being played.

sioux sweep

Jim has just taken away the whole point of playing the games. We'll just go by his simulator from now on.

Your implied point that the games haven't been played yet and outcomes can be whatever the team makes them is an important one, and actually a key element of the forecasts. That's why the output is multiple distributions of possible PWR outcomes instead of a single PWR. They're not predictions of game outcomes, they're "what ifs" that forecast what various potential outcomes would do to PWR.

A simulation that predicted game outcomes by some existing ranking (e.g. KRACH) would produce a set of PWR rankings consistent with current KRACH expectations. In early January KRACH predicted that UND would lose 3 of the 4 vs. Minnesota and Denver. Those predictions were based on performance to date, and if true would have precluded UND from making the tournament (which a lot of people at the time were guessing was impossible for the Sioux, based on intuition instead of actual calculations).

Instead, I simulate across all the possible game outcomes to help answer the conditional questions (including those that deviate from current KRACH predictions) that people are continuously asking about PWR -- if UND defies expectations and sweeps the Gophers, what will that do to PWR? If UND wins out 70%, can it climb to the top 12 in PWR? If UND sweeps this weekend, what could its PWR be? etc...