SiouxSports.com Forum

WILD

greatest sioux fan

i have heard that some fans say that ownership didnt spend money but i think the wild are pretty close to the current salary cap. i think they need to change coaching staffs.. that style sucks and i dont think it will win the wild a stanley cup.

i have heard that some fans say that ownership didnt spend money but i think the wild are pretty close to the current salary cap. i think they need to change coaching staffs.. that style sucks and i dont think it will win the wild a stanley cup.

agreed. the wild are mild and boring to watch. they don't have the defensemen to play this system well.

The wild are lacking a few top of the line forwards to make a run, they also have a bunch of crappy defensemen.

Tonight they will be dismantled by the Red Wings. Skula sp is the first denseman I would throw in the Mississippi river.

They do lack playmakers at defense but to call them crappy is a bit misleading. Brent Burns is a great young defenseman who will become an excellent player in the next few years.

Nick Schultz and Brent Burns are good but there is a serious drop off in talent defensively after that. Johnsson has been a huge disappointment since his arrival with the Wild. Carney and Hill are old.

They do lack playmakers at defense but to call them crappy is a bit misleading. Brent Burns is a great young defenseman who will become an excellent player in the next few years.

News conference scheduled to announce sale of Minnesota Wild

Sources close to the situation say Bob Naegele Jr., lead investor in Minnesota Sports Entertainment, the parent company of the NHL's Minnesota Wild, is selling the hockey franchise.

The new owner is said to be Craig Leipold, who just completed a sale of the NHL's Nashville Predators on December 7th.

Published reports had linked Leipold to the Wild for a number of reasons. Leipold was said to covet the stability of the Wild's season ticket base, he maintains a residence in Wisconsin, and he left the Predators in good standing with the other NHL owners.

A news conference is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. today at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul.

Nick Schultz and Brent Burns are good but there is a serious drop off in talent defensively after that. Johnsson has been a huge disappointment since his arrival with the Wild. Carney and Hill are old.

What about Skoula? Come on ... anyone who can dance in front of the net, shuffle the puck between his skates and then pass to the oncoming offensive player and basically LET them score all the time...QUALITY PLAYER!

What about Skoula? Come on ... anyone who can dance in front of the net, shuffle the puck between his skates and then pass to the oncoming offensive player and basically LET them score all the time...QUALITY PLAYER!

Skoula is a pylon and I hope the Wild trade him this season. I think Foster is a better player than Skoula.

I watch almost every game and this team is getting to be really frustrating to watch. They may be next to the

cap but they aren't worth the money spent on them. I just hope the Wild don't trade Demetra.

Skoula is a pylon and I hope the Wild trade him this season. I think Foster is a better player than Skoula.

I watch almost every game and this team is getting to be really frustrating to watch. They may be next to the

cap but they aren't worth the money spent on them. I just hope the Wild don't trade Demetra.

They need to get rid of Skoula, Boogard too. Voros can skate, hit, score and fight. Time to retire Boogey! Demitra isn't going anywhere as long as Gaborik stays. I think they are lovers.

They need to get rid of Skoula, Boogard too. Voros can skate, hit, score and fight. Time to retire Boogey! Demitra isn't going anywhere as long as Gaborik stays. I think they are lovers.

Nooooooooo I love the Boogey man. I wonder if he is coming back?

speaking of the NHL, ovechkin signed for 6 years, 54 million to re-up with the caps. didnt think he would stay there but thats a huge plus for washington as a franchise.

This is good for the NHL - it's good when the young talent stays with one team for a while and tries to help establish an identity with a team. Towes/Kane have already done that in Chicago. Let's hope they can surround AO with some more talent in Washington.

Read the article on ESPN.com. I thought it laughable when the now former Wild majority owner said that he had a lot of commitment towards winning the Stanley Cup. LAUGHABLE.

Let's face it. They are just like the Twins in so many ways roster wise. They are big system-first proponents, which isn't bad, provided you utilize free agency to fill in the holes adequately. When holes exist, they fill them with "whoever." That means signing players who, at one point (or perhaps currently), have the "potential" to be that guy, but haven't shown it yet and perhaps never will. They spend only enough money to show that they are "doing something." The only difference is that the Twins have the excuse of no new stadium. The Wild play in the nicest Arena in the freaking free world. It is the same system that now has Minnesota GMs saying that they can't sign anyone because no one wants to play in Minnesota. Why is that, do you think? Players know, just like fans, when an ownership group wants to put together a team that is either good enough to be competitive or good enough to win it all. Players don't want to play for a team that is JUST competitive. They want to win it all. That's why the Twins can't sign any big names (if Pohlad would approve the spending) and that's more than likely why the Wild can't get those huge names outside of a trade. The Wild are competitive. They are a playoff caliber team. But they won't win a Stanley Cup. Not set up like they are.

Is it LeMaire? Don't know. Maybe. Do they have to spend money like Detroit, NY Rangers, or whoever? No. The Twins don't have to spend like the Yankees to do that either. They just have to get one or two guys who are big time talents, damn the system to compliment the guys from the system (like Gaborik for the Wild or Morneau and Mauer for the Twins). Pavol Demitra isn't enough. They need one or two more guys and some solid defensemen.

Read the article on ESPN.com. I thought it laughable when the now former Wild majority owner said that he had a lot of commitment towards winning the Stanley Cup. LAUGHABLE.

Let's face it. They are just like the Twins in so many ways roster wise. They are big system-first proponents, which isn't bad, provided you utilize free agency to fill in the holes adequately. When holes exist, they fill them with "whoever." That means signing players who, at one point (or perhaps currently), have the "potential" to be that guy, but haven't shown it yet and perhaps never will. They spend only enough money to show that they are "doing something." The only difference is that the Twins have the excuse of no new stadium. The Wild play in the nicest Arena in the freaking free world. It is the same system that now has Minnesota GMs saying that they can't sign anyone because no one wants to play in Minnesota. Why is that, do you think? Players know, just like fans, when an ownership group wants to put together a team that is either good enough to be competitive or good enough to win it all. Players don't want to play for a team that is JUST competitive. They want to win it all. That's why the Twins can't sign any big names (if Pohlad would approve the spending) and that's more than likely why the Wild can't get those huge names outside of a trade. The Wild are competitive. They are a playoff caliber team. But they won't win a Stanley Cup. Not set up like they are.

Is it LeMaire? Don't know. Maybe. Do they have to spend money like Detroit, NY Rangers, or whoever? No. The Twins don't have to spend like the Yankees to do that either. They just have to get one or two guys who are big time talents, damn the system to compliment the guys from the system (like Gaborik for the Wild or Morneau and Mauer for the Twins). Pavol Demitra isn't enough. They need one or two more guys and some solid defensemen.

I think Stanley Cup and Skoula are mutually exclusive. I couldn't figure out why he is on the team until I realized he is a Czech... ;)

The Wild play in the nicest Arena in the freaking free world.

BLASPHEMY!

You will do penance you heathen:

Four "Our Hrkac" and four "Hail Parise". No, ten of each. No, one hundred of each!

We will pray to Ralph for your eternal soul.

But it may still be too late ....

As the man says as he's laying down the "Inglewood jack":

"And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengenance upon thee." -- Jules Winnfield

They just have to get one or two guys who are big time talents, damn the system to compliment the guys from the system (like Gaborik for the Wild or Morneau and Mauer for the Twins). Pavol Demitra isn't enough. They need one or two more guys and some solid defensemen.

See that is what the wild did, the ownership knew that the public in Minnesota was getting restless with the team because off all the money they had made on the sell outs and having a mediocre line on the ice. Now I think the Jig is up as we have seen this year they don't have enough to compete. They have been pasted by detroit, San Jose and Dallas. They also got man handled by a so so team in Vancover.

I see a team that will struggle to make the playoffs. I think the team also misses Manny.

This is good for the NHL - it's good when the young talent stays with one team for a while and tries to help establish an identity with a team. Towes/Kane have already done that in Chicago. Let's hope they can surround AO with some more talent in Washington.

nevermind, i guess hes getting a 13 year 124 million dollar deal :D whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa - he must like washington ;)

This has actually been the Caps' gameplan since before the strike. Remember that just before the strike, the yhad a firesale, shedding all of their top talent and salaries. That was part of a shift toward trying to build talent instead of acquire it. Some may have misinterpreted their mediocrity the last couple years as unwillingness to spend money, but they actually have the money -- they had the 2nd highest payroll prestrike -- they just decided spending it on trying to buy stars wasn't working for them or the Rangers.

Though the Caps certainly aren't yet living up to the potential of the talent they have, they are 11-6-4 since Bruce took over as head coach (if only they hadn't started in a 7-14-1 hole). My biggest fear is that its taking enough seasons to develop the offense that we may need a replacement for Kolzig by the time the offense is playoff-worthy again.

This has actually been the Caps' gameplan since before the strike. Remember that just before the strike, the yhad a firesale, shedding all of their top talent and salaries. That was part of a shift toward trying to build talent instead of acquire it. Some may have misinterpreted their mediocrity the last couple years as unwillingness to spend money, but they actually have the money -- they had the 2nd highest payroll prestrike -- they just decided spending it on trying to buy stars wasn't working for them or the Rangers.

Though the Caps certainly aren't yet living up to the potential of the talent they have, they are 11-6-4 since Bruce took over as head coach (if only they hadn't started in a 7-14-1 hole). My biggest fear is that its taking enough seasons to develop the offense that we may need a replacement for Kolzig by the time the offense is playoff-worthy again.

Jim,

I'm going to assume that you've attended a few Caps games. How would you characterize their fan base? Knowledgable? Passive? Astute? I just can't see them being very passionate.

it is good to keep the superstars in the same market but at what expense? the deals like this are what got the system screwed up in the first place and it doesn't seem like the owners have learned their lesson.