SiouxSports.com Forum

Too bad this guy is going to Vermont.

flatspin7

Art Femenella D R 6-7 247 6/6/82 Annandale, N.J. (Sioux City) Vermont

If thats not good enough look at this....Sioux City Stats.

Not much on the point scale, but he has 197 penalty minutes in 48 games. I know that this guy is probably a goon and not fast enough for the WCHA game, but wouldnt it be sweeeeet to have a 6-7 250lb guy to punish all the clutchers and grabbers in the WCHA. Greene would be a pussycat in comparision.

:D

Oh yeah... Just for comparison.. Commodore is 6-4 230 (now not when he was in college)

Yeah but you can't punish what you can't catch. I can't imagine this guy is to swift on his skates or I think he would be going somewhere other than Vermont.

I agree, if he was all that and wanted to stay in the East I'd think he'd be going to a BC or BU, and if he's really into the NE then Maine. Not that Vermont's a program to laugh at, they've done well for themselves at times.

Wasn't it '99 they were in the Frozen Four? Maine, UNH, Vermont and someone else wasn't it?

1999 was Maine, BC, UNH, and Mich State in Anaheim. One of my personal favorite road trips ever (though everyone else seems to rip on the Anaheim finals, I thought they were awesome).

Vermont made the tournament (not to be confused with the Frozen Four if Wiseguy ever reads any other threads) in 1996 and 1997. In '96 they won their first round game, then played a multi-OT game against bye-rested CC, who went on to win. I think in '97 they were one and out.

I've seen "feminine" play for 3 years now. Not someone I'd like to see in a Sioux uniform. I think Hakstol even coached him in Sioux City for a year. So he would have had first-hand knowledge of his skills.

His size is definitely imposing and he wreaks havoc in front of the net, but he seems to hurt the team at the most inoppurtune times by taking BAD penalties. Just get under his skin a little bit and you're guaranteed a power play.

I'll take speed and quickness over size any day. Ask Denver, Duluth, Tech and Wisconsin who had those big teams in the 90's. The Sioux dominated with smaller, quicker players like David Hoogsteen, Jason Blake, the Panzers, Murphy, etc. CC and Minnesota have also generally taken skill and speed over size, (Ryan Kraft, Larry Olimb, Mike Crowley) , which is why those 3 teams have been the best teams since the early 90's. The current Gophers team has a little of both, but they still emphasize speed and passing over size. The college game is different than the pro game, which is why it is more entertaining. :D

1999 was Maine, BC, UNH, and Mich State in Anaheim. One of my personal favorite road trips ever (though everyone else seems to rip on the Anaheim finals, I thought they were awesome).

Vermont made the tournament (not to be confused with the Frozen Four if Wiseguy ever reads any other threads) in 1996 and 1997. In '96 they won their first round game, then played a multi-OT game against bye-rested CC, who went on to win. I think in '97 they were one and out.

Thanks! I couldnt' remember. I didn't like Anaheim that much either. The weather was great, but there just wasn't a college hockey atmosphere. I thought I'd seen them in a Frozen Four, maybe not. Your start to forget the teams and just assume that either Michigan or BC/BU was there. :D

The 1996 CC matchup for Vermont was a national semi-final. CC then lost to Michigan.

Maybe it's just me, but I think he'll be an outstanding fit for the ECAC. They all have the small ice, and for the most part play a defensive style. He'll be able to take up space (and I mean A LOT of space) in the slot and should be able to lay a body on some of the bigger guys like Cornell has.

I'm happy for him. Frankly I miss Vermont being a high quality team. When they had St. Louis and that bunch they were a great team.