SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Football Updates

fightin'su

Any word on who from among last year's red-shirts may contribute next year? I'm assuming Hoffschneider for sure, and I imagine there are other possibilities like Ullsperger, Wolf and Babington-Johnson, among others. I am looking forward to the spring game to see how some of these guys have progressed.

From what I have heard Jason Hoffshneider things are going a bit rough. He is coming off of a hamstring injury, and a pulled hamstring. I heard Michael Greenwood is the most impressive of the corners right now. But I think when Hoffshneider is healthy, he will be on the field.Ullsperberger is having a great spring. He is going with the 2's in team and inside due to TOm Irvin being out until the fall. I hear he has looked great, and shows that he has great instinct. I hear he has the Digger Anderson type nose for the ball, which can only be promising. Wolf is stuck at a position in which there are like 8 defensive ends. Reps come sparingly, yet I think that will only be for a short time. The winter that he had, and how he tested are testaments, to the fact that he is ready to play easily on this level. Babington-Johnson is having a good spring also. I heard he is soooo quick off of the ball and is running plays down backside, behind the line of scrimmage. He even got a pick, if my sources are correct. Travis Lueck is having a tough spring, just because he is a 3 on the chart. I hope this isnt for long, since he is one of the most complete recievers that we have. Yet Dan Grossman has looked impressive, and so has Jamel Alkins. Lee Grueschol is the only freshman that might see time offensively. His footwork is good, and he is sooo quick and fast on the field . With Bowenkamp being a captian, he wont start, but he could get some very educational reps.

Do the Sioux scrimmage today? The latest I've heard is that on offense Bowencamp looks very steady and sure of himself and is poised for a big season. On defense i hear Dan Ullsperger is turning some heads and is going to be a very nasty linebacker. Overall, my "source" says the Sioux look hungry after last seasons letdown. GO UND

Any recent updates regarding how spring ball is progressing?

There was a brief feature on the WDAZ sports last night, and Lennon mentioned that the safeties have been very solid this spring. No names were mentioned, but presumably he was referring to Stratton, Gagner and Brandsted. Also, he said Manke and Franklin were playing very well at the corners, but that there have been some hamstring pulls limiting some of the other corners, presumably Hoffscheider among others. Just one week left until the spring game.

Coach Mussman was on the "Tim and Swyg Show" friday morning talking about the offense. Grant has been moved to center and Kuper is now at guard.Dokken, Smith and Olsen are the other # 1's. Hoffelt and Kalash are the most impressive RS's. Bowenkamp is currently the #1, Joe "Willie" is sitting out the spring due to the semester rule. The three RS freshmen have different strengths in their games, with no one ahead of the other. The recievers are deep and also bring different skills and strengths to the table. The one question was "if" Lueck can get himself academically eligible. Fullbacks are the ever depdendable David Wistoff and Ricky Harrison. Roland was tried at FB, but has moved back to RB.He has put on some weight and continues to impress. Miller is being held out of contact drills untill fall. Brandon Strouth has impressed the staff, however, his 165 lb. weight may cause some concern. TE's are Murphy, and Vanderpan(sitting out spring due to semester rule). Mielke, Ahlstrom(who is making significant improvements) and Kusler(converted D-line) are mentioned by the coach. Position with deepest quality is recieving. Great size,Stattleman and Lueck; great hands Ahlers, great speed in Alkins and Grossman. RB's also have a great mix of size,grit and speed.

Coach Mussman was on the "Tim and Swyg Show" friday morning talking about the offense. Grant has been moved to center and Kuper is now at guard.Dokken, Smith and Olsen are the other # 1's.

Not that it's unusual in this day and age of college football, but that's going to be a huge offensive line, averaging 6'5 1/2" and 308 lbs. I think the line is going to be the big key as to whether the offense can regain its form and score some big points this year. In 2000 and 2001, UND had the highest-scoring offense in the NCC, despite running a pretty conservative (some might say very conservative) scheme. Obviously, that sort of production did not happen again last year. As I recall, the line play was fairly inconsistent in 2000, but it returned intact in 2001 and performed extremely well. I'm hoping for the same kind of improvement by this year's line, as it returns virtually intact. I think Kuper in particular has the potential to be very good.

position they are playing at are Hoffschneider CB, Ullsperger weak-side ILB, Wolf DE and Bab-John weak OLB. these are D1 quality recruits. "slipped through the cracks" kinda players.

Babington-Johnson an OLB? He went to my high school his freshman year and at the end of the freshman season, he played up with us on varsity. I remember him as being a runningback with great speed and cutting ability, but couldn't hold onto the football to save his life. If he has learned how to do that at DeLaSalle, I am amazed he didn't go D1 as an RB, but I can't really picture the kid as an OLB. Lennon might think about looking at him in the backfield as well as on defense, unless he still hasn't learned how to hang on to the ball.

Babington-Johnson an OLB?  He went to my high school his freshman year and at the end of the freshman season, he played up with us on varsity.  I remember him as being a runningback with great speed and cutting ability, but couldn't hold onto the football to save his life.  If he has learned how to do that at DeLaSalle, I am amazed he didn't go D1 as an RB, but I can't really picture the kid as an OLB.  Lennon might think about looking at him in the backfield as well as on defense, unless he still hasn't learned how to hang on to the ball.

This was his bio when the 2002 recruiting class was announced:

Zack Babington-Johnson, 6-2, 195, Outside linebacker, Minneapolis, Minn. (De La Salle HS)

Named team

Just a reminder though Im sure no one will forget that the spring game is tomorow at 2 pm. I suggest you get there early to catch a good seat of the action. I know we are all hoping for an injury free game in which the players who have worked sooo hard, will have the opportnity to show what they can do, and have fun. Im sure we will see some nasty ness as well since the offense and defense have been going at each other for the past month or so, and can get sick of each other. Any last minute changes that anyone knows about? I heard a rumor our recieving cor would be low, due to Grossman sitting out and possibly Ahlers. I dont think Hoffschneider or Greenwood are playing, nor WIlson, Vanderpahn, Murphy, and Guenther. Other than that we should see all the redshirt freshman in live action finally, so good luck to all. Ill see you at the ALerus

According to today's Herald, 6'5" 285 lb. Will Kusler has moved to number one on the depth chart at tight end. Ben Murphy has moved back to the offensive line, where he is better suited, in my opinion.

Cody Saunders, an all-conference kicker from Minot St., has transferred to UND and will challenge Jeff Glas for the starting kicking job.

A few random thoughts about yesterday's spring game:

* Babington-Johnson could be a superstar. I'd like to see him gain about 20 pounds, but he has outstanding speed and quickness. He seemed virtually unblockable at times.

* Although there's really not a true run-stopping nose guard in the middle of the d-line, I really like the potential of the defense to get back to being a dominating unit. In particular, I think the linebacking unit will be much-improved and very deep.

* I am a big track fan, but Mahmoud really should have taken part in spring ball instead of track.

* It's awfully hard to judge the offense in this situation because of the rotating of four quarterbacks and lack of continuity.

* Strouth is a pretty impressive running back, although he's very small. It's hard to believe he was high jumping 6'7" last spring at his size (5'10" ?).

* Jeff Glas needs to get more consistent. Distance is never a problem on field goals, but his accuracy was pretty suspect for much of last year, and it was again yesterday.

The redshirts looked very good, did'nt they? LB's Babington-Johnson and Ullsperger look ready to contribute now!! The 3rd team o-line had no chance to block Bab-John and Ullsperger showed good speed running down a QB and knocking him out of bounds for a 2 yd loss. Tremendous potential for both, especially if they can add 10-15 lbs of muscle weight by fall. Bab-john around 200 and Ullsperger at 235 would be scary.

Lennon's comments on the Alerus sounds like a bunch of whinning. "We don't have what NDSU has. We need more Sioux logos and Sioux championship pictures." Whine, Whine Whine, Whine!!!!

Why wasn't the Alerus budget to add such things in the first place? Grand Forks voters knew that Sioux football was going into the place. And how much money would it take to put up a few banners and Sioux Heads? Why not ask UND alumni to donate some money for such things? By the way, where was that Alerus on budget; over, under, or right on target? It must have been way over budget to not have a few banners and Sioux heads added into that budget.

There seemed to be a better way of trying to make the Alerus feel like home then putting a coach's editorial in the GFH.

It's a perfectly legitimate concern by Lennon, and it shouldn't have anything to do with "having what NDSU has." I don't believe it should be characterized as "whining," either. It's simply common sense. Every school should promote its history and accomplishments. Hell, even Hyslop has practically nothing with regard to UND basketball history. No Phil Jackson display, no displays from the Vonesh-Guldseth years, no displays (other than championship banners) from the Crouse-Pudenz era, no displays whatsoever. It's sad. So it's not like this is a problem unique to the Alerus Center.

Obviously, the Ralph has done a tremendous job of incorporating UND hockey history into that facility. Why UND hasn't done something similar (on a smaller, less expesive scale, of course) at Hyslop is a mystery to me. UND should pony up the dough to do something at the Alerus, and at either Hyslop or a new basketball facility, if it's built.

For football, there should be something to honor people like Fritz Pollard, Red Jarrett, Steve Myhra, Errol Mann, Dave Osborn, Jim LeClair, Phillip Moore, Jim Kleinsasser, etc. I don't believe we're talking about huge money here. All it takes is somebody who's willing to show some leadership and get it done.

I am sure there was talk to the alumni and boosters to give some money towards adding these banners and signs and whatnot to the FargoDome. However, you didn't see Rocky Hager complaining and whining about in The Forum though. This is the point I was making. Why not bring this up at a fund raiser or booster meeting or speech to the boosters? Instead, Lennon took his message to the GF Herald.

It sounds like whining and complaining to me. As for trying to be like NDSU, here is the direct quote from the news article, "The lack of such a display, Lennon said, hurts recruiting efforts, particularly when competing with rival North Dakota State University in Fargo". Just another way that UND is behind NDSU in football.