SiouxSports.com Forum

"It's the economy, Stupid."

The Sicatoka

Does this sound familiar?

Modern-day Indian activists have done an amazing job of deflecting attention from the real problems of reservation life in favor of turning the events of the past into a morbid fetish.

Now, "It's the economy, stupid."

Listening to other tribal spokesmen, it would seem that the most pressing concern for Indians today isn't a lousy reservation economy that can barely support more than a handful of private-sector jobs, but Atlanta Braves fans performing the "tomahawk chop" during late-inning rallies.

How's that? That sound familiar too?

So fix the economy, right?

The tribe itself is a major obstacle. ... Just about anybody involved in business development on the reservation can share a story or two about some project that nearly got underway, only to be cancelled after tribal elections, which are often petty spectacles that reveal ancient rivalries (between, say, the family lines of Crazy Horse and Red Cloud) and pit full-blooded Indians against those of a mixed racial background. The president and council members serve two-year terms, and each election cycle sees most of them swept out of office. Even if a few of them wanted to pass a uniform commercial code for the reservation, they don't have enough time to lay the groundwork for doing it. "There's no stability," says St. Pierre. "We have a political revolution every two years." Sometimes it's more often than that.

Enjoy the reading (or not):

http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-99...e-Rez-It-s.html

What?!? There are more pressing issues than team names/logos. Quelle surprise! :D

I think most of us have known about issues of poverty, crime, healthcare, etc. on reservations for years, but certain tone-deaf dullards of all races would rather work on issues that don't strain their brains.

What?!? There are more pressing issues than team names/logos. Quelle surprise! :D

I think most of us have known about issues of poverty, crime, healthcare, etc. on reservations for years, but certain tone-deaf dullards of all races would rather work on issues that don't strain their brains.

Path of least resistance??

I was thinking "Denial", but whatever works ... ;)

Good one. My turn in this word(s) association game...Um, Um...laziness. Your turn.

Edit: I see you switched denial to apathy. You lose a turn if you use denial again :D

Good one. My turn in this word(s) association game...Um, Um...laziness. Your turn.

Edit: I see you switched denial to apathy. You lose a turn if you use denial again ;)

I figured "apathy" was more apt, since some seem to believe that the name/logo issue will magically solve all of the other problems.

Next up "stupidity" ... :D

I figured "apathy" was more apt, since some seem to believe that the name/logo issue will magically solve all of the other problems.

Next up "stupidity" ... ;)

Complacency: a feeling of security or a smug satisfaction with an existing situation :D

This wasn't put here to bash or belittle various folks.

This was put here to use as a first talking point to open some of these dialogs between UND and the tribes. The reservations have some issues regarding economic development; UND has an accredited business school and one of the country's best programs in entrepreneurship. It seems like a starting point.

This wasn't put here to bash or belittle various folks.

This was put here to use as a first talking point to open some of these dialogs between UND and the tribes. The reservations have some issues regarding economic development; UND has an accredited business school and one of the country's best programs in entrepreneurship. It seems like a starting point.

belittle (v.): to regard as less important than appearences indicate; cause to seem less serious.

Seems from your original post in this thread, belittle fits the point you were trying to make about the quotes you posted on how some NAs handle their business?? :D

By the way, sorry dad. I'll act better next time :D

We need to politely move the conversation with the tribes to areas that will make a positive impact on lives.

Step One is to point out areas that need improvement, like tribal operations regarding business and economic development. The track record isn't great and to compound it tribal leadership is pointing at everything else as a "real issue". I was happy someone wrote that (finally) and maybe now we can start a decent dialog about what has and has not worked.

But it takes both parties to have a conversation. Can the parties sit down and talk about economic development as a step toward better understanding (if other issues are too contentious).

We need to politely move the conversation with the tribes to areas that will make a positive impact on lives.

Step One is to point out areas that need improvement, like tribal operations regarding business and economic development. The track record isn't great and to compound it tribal leadership is pointing at everything else as a "real issue". I was happy someone wrote that (finally) and maybe now we can start a decent dialog about what has and has not worked.

But it takes both parties to have a conversation. Can the parties sit down and talk about economic development as a step toward better understanding (if other issues are too contentious).

Agree with your above comments, but the problem that I, and probably most UND supporters of the nickname, have is the fact that the "real issues" are so obvious except to those who are dealing with those issues. It is like trying to convince a drug addict he/she has a problem. Sometimes "those" kind of folks will never see the "real issues" and deal with them appropriately.

This is why I am alarmed at the apparent quick hook the State Board might be making with the Sioux name. 3 years to get the Tribal leaders to open an ear and quit repeating NO NO NO NO before hearing the rest just might allow constructive conversations relating to things like the above. But if the State Board is just going through the motions a great opportunity may be lost. On the other hand, the tribes have to be willing to listen, and if they are just not interested at some point you have to cut your losses and move on. Hopefully the State Board really knows when that is.

Agree with your above comments, but the problem that I, and probably most UND supporters of the nckname, have is the fact that the "real issues" are so obvious except to those who are dealing with the issues

They know what their problems are, I bet. Sometimes it's painful to be pushed into unfamiliar territory, even if you'd really like the end result. There are lots and lots of people like that. The tribes might just be too short sighted to understand how this could be an opportunity for them.

When the Germans started the offensive in the Ardennes called the Battle of the Bulge, most of his high command was panicking. Eisenhower said "The present situation is to be regarded as one of opportunity for us and not of disaster. There will be only cheerful faces at this table."

I hope the board doesn't give up too quickly.

...too short sighted to understand how this could be an opportunity for them.
It has been pointed out over and over again that certain "community leaders" greatly fear any actual, tangible progress towards taking their group to a greater role in the (nation, state, city-take your pick). They need to have the undefined "racism" as a constant boogy-man to maintain their leadership. They have no desire to have any of their constituency see any other way out, any level of progress other than to continually claim "victimhood".

It's been pointed out to me that many tribal 'leaders' are poorly educated; many of them haven't a high school education. Many tribal leaders are also enmeshed in the past thus making it difficult for them to reach out to plans from 'the outside' that would ultimately help the Native Americans on reservations. There is still a strong suspicion of 'outsiders' among many reservation Natives. I'm told at least weekly by Natives (young and old) that the United States is experimenting on them (health wise). This is not a joke, they really truly believe that. Sad.

It has been pointed out over and over again that certain "community leaders" greatly fear any actual, tangible progress towards taking their group to a greater role in the (nation, state, city-take your pick). They need to have the undefined "racism" as a constant boogy-man to maintain their leadership. They have no desire to have any of their constituency see any other way out, any level of progress other than to continually claim "victimhood".

Well said. And frankly this is the same philosophy that has kept Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton at the front of the balck community for years and years.

It's been pointed out to me that many tribal 'leaders' are poorly educated; many of them haven't a high school education. Many tribal leaders are also enmeshed in the past thus making it difficult for them to reach out to plans from 'the outside' that would ultimately help the Native Americans on reservations. There is still a strong suspicion of 'outsiders' among many reservation Natives. I'm told at least weekly by Natives (young and old) that the United States is experimenting on them (health wise). This is not a joke, they really truly believe that. Sad.

There is a big part of your answer to this issue...education, but you have to be willing to be educated. And a good friend of mine taught at Standing Rock H. S. and he said most didn't want to become educated because that is perceived as being "white" on the res.

... the same philosophy that has kept Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton at the front of the balck community for years and years.
I read an interesting article not that long ago which opined that Al Sharpton greatly fears a Barack Obama presidency. Not only would he lose status as the Black leader, but additionally, people would say "how can we be a victim; now we have a black president".

Of course, we're getting far afield of the point of this thread (and for that matter, the point of this board).

This is why I am alarmed at the apparent quick hook the State Board might be making with the Sioux name. 3 years to get the Tribal leaders to open an ear and quit repeating NO NO NO NO before hearing the rest just might allow constructive conversations relating to things like the above. But if the State Board is just going through the motions a great opportunity may be lost. On the other hand, the tribes have to be willing to listen, and if they are just not interested at some point you have to cut your losses and move on. Hopefully the State Board really knows when that is.

Why let it fester for another 3 years? It's time to start the healing process and move on. Nothing can be gained by waiting. I'm fully in favor of change ASAP.